Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
When you got through the process did you still call yourself gramma and papa or where you mom and dad? How did you respond to questions the children asked later about their parents? Our son died and the mom is about to lose custody and we will be able to adopt our grandchild. Thanks for all answers

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
You will always be Gramma and Grandpa (or whatever you want to be called) Your son is/was/always will be the dad and their mom is the mom no matter what.

I believe in telling kids the truth. Think about this - if you lie now, and they find out the truth later - what will they think of you?

Good luck and lots of happiness to you. It is a noble thing that you are doing.

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Sitcoms Website
Sitcoms Forum
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Connie, Congratulations! grin Isn't this happening quicker than you thought? You'll soon be able to visit your daughter and the new grandbaby.

Robin is absolutely correct. You'll want to tell her about your son, so you will need to remain the grandparents. I think you can have a name which is different from that used by the other grandchildren. Our oldest grandchild calls us Mama and Papa while the rest say Gramma and Grampa.

Good Luck on this path of the rest of your life. GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Elephant
Elephant
I think you cannot be one-way only though. I was adopted by my grandparents. I refer to my birthparent as that. My parents were my mom and dad. For a while I called them grandma and grandpa, but that didn't seem like the right thing because that isn't what the relationship was. They are and will forever be MOM AND DAD. I will not, and never will negate their relationship with me and the fact that they raised me, and that my birthparent is that, my birthparent. They aren't my sister, etc, they are my birthparent.

Just the opinion of someone who has been there.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Elephant
Elephant
As for your son... he should always be referred to as their father. H ewas not given the opportunity to be their father and his relationship should never be minimalized.

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Everyone thanks for your answers.

Granny, lol, no this has been draging out for months now. We had thought the mom was doing better but we just didn't know what was going on.

Jase, how old where you when you were adopted? Our grandaughter will be 2 by the next court date.

~anonymous~
Elephant
Elephant
They had legal guardianship at birth until age 3, then lived with my birthmother from 3-10, then was taken away and they adopted me. So it would be easier to have called them grandma and grandpa because of the age, however, it is not how I felt about them. I think it should be their choice like it was mine. My mom and dad never corrected me. The only one who did was my birthmother and that was after they had died... and she complained "they are MY parents not YOURS". All the rest of the children didn't mind at all me calling them mom and dad because they recognized the importance of the relationship and what they meant to me. That is the important thing. DOn't dismiss or deminish the relationship.

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thank you Jase...we really don't say anything about her mom right now...she is young to ask yet, I know the questions will come later. She is a very sweet little girl and now I can't imagine my life without her in it.

~anonymous~
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi Conniem!

I am so, so sorry about the loss of your son.

Your granddaughter sounds like she's a ray of sunshine, and I wish you all the best during this time.

It sounds like you've gotten some excellent words of wisdom here (thank you Jase, Robin, and GrannyH), and I just wanted to add my support and thoughts to you and your family.

Please let us know how everything is proceeding, and know that there are lots of us here to offer support!

Last edited by Cook4Kids&Adoption Editor; 03/10/09 07:37 PM.
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Hi Brandii, thanks for posting. Things are going very slowly it seems. The mom has not been in contact since the 18th of last month. We are just praying that she stays away until July. They keep telling me she is still our grandaughter's mom and what our grandaughter needs more than us. So she could still get her back. They told me the best they can hope for is that she doesn't abuse/neglect our grandaugher. It has been a very emotional time for us. Connie

~anonymous~
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27

Moderated by  Deanna - Adoption Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.