Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Koala
Koala
M
I vote for the really cool too. They never used to be one of my favourite animals, but since watching them and hearing them through the cameras set up in Africa, I have come to love them. I have watched a family of hyenas playing in a waterhole or just hanging around and I have heard their call at night. That call just sends shivers up & down the spine. One day I will get to Africa to see them and hear them in person.

Mavis
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
okay, but this is kind of cute:

It's a Brown Hyena in a threat display. (I guess the threat must not be working very well, since Brown Hyenas are endangered...)

MaryEllen, Animal Life Editor
Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
They are amazing when you see and hear them in the wild. I only saw them a few times, mostly from a distance, except for this once when we were driving down the road (in an open-air vehicle) at night and I looked over my shoulder and saw this walking up behind us:

I only avoided screaming like a little girl by clamping my hands over my mouth, so what came out was this little squeaky muffled voice saying "hyena." It was just strolling along the edge of the road, then turned and vanished off into the dark. A few minutes later we heard them calling and howling all around us, and then the lions started roaring back at them. It was amazing.

Last edited by MaryEllen_AnimalLife; 02/27/09 06:54 PM.

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think in those two pictures the animals look beautiful. Why are the brown Hyenas endangered? frown

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
M
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
oh, the usual... killing by humans, habitat destruction and fragmentation, loss of prey species. Like most of the endangered animals in Africa (well, many places, really), they simply don't have anywhere to live.

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Hyenas are like any other animal. Their goal is to survive and ensure the survival of their young. Who can blame them for that? And nature made them the way they are, including that spine-tingling bark.

I liked your close-up pics of them. Really, humans can't appreciate and understand wild animals until they see them up-close and learn more about them.

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Both - at times they can be funny little awkward things, but more often than not - they give me a little bit of the creeps.

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Sitcoms Website
Sitcoms Forum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.