logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Yes Charlie, at least in the first book, acts like he is not really interested in Bella until he thinks she is dating one of the CUllens other then Edward.. I haven't been able to read the past 2 nights. I am going to sit and finish it tonight after the kids go to bed. I am at the part when they are playing baseball and then they decide to put Bella in hiding. I have a feeling it will be hard to stop once this scene gets started.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I agree about the parents. They are so one dimensional. I will be interested to see how they are handled in future books.

Barbara Sharpe

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Just wanted to add that my DH started reading this book, after watching me devour it over a couple of days. But I made him quit halfway through because he was driving me crazy with his questions - 'Why does she keep going on about how beautiful he is?', 'Why don't they just talk to each other?', 'Why does she agonize over everything he says and does?' I finally just said, 'that's what it's like to be a teenage girl! You are NOT the target demographic for this book!!'

That really made me realize that this is a very female book. He stopped reading it and is back to a John Grisham book, lol.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
S
Shark
Shark
S
Yes, Jeanette, it will be hard to stop when you start reading the baseball scene.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I sat up til 3 O'clock in the morning and finished twilight last night. I really enjoyed the book a lot! It's almost a parallel to several other stories, like Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin or even Romeo and Juliet. Star crossed lovers so to speak that have to find a way to be together.

I admit there were a few things I was suprised by in the end. But, I don't want to spoil it for those of you who have not finished yet. When it's all said and done theres a couple things I want to know what you thought about lol....

wink

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hey Jeanette,

Just wondering when we are going to be picking a new book?

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Debbie - NASCAR
Hey Jeanette,

Just wondering when we are going to be picking a new book?

Not sure yet. I have 5 books to read and write reviews for now. So I am going to concentrate on those for the next week or 2 and let the discussions ride for Twilight for a bit.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
WARNING SPOiLIER CONTAINED IN THIS POST

I finished the book a few nights ago. I am still left wondering why this tracker picked out Bella. Maybe I need to go read it again. I was expecting a lot more action out of the scene where the Cullens came to save her at the dance studio. That was a little disappointing.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Here are some discussion questions:

1. In chapter 2, What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?

2. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?

3. Why do you think Bella didn't run for her life when Jacob told her the story of "the cold ones"? Would you have reacted the same way>?

4. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time? Were you as surprised as I was that he didn't hurt them?

5. Did you figure out right away that they were on their way to prom or did you, like Bella, have something else in mind?

6. The last line of Twilight has confused many readers as they assume Edward bites her right then and there. Were you one of those people? Be honest! And how did you feel about that ending? Are you dying to get the next book and dive in??

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
1. In chapter 2, What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?

At first I thought there must be some reason he didn't like her and so when he came back and was treating her all nice nice. I figured that was one of those things where you think, I'll be nice and maybe she will leave me alone.

2. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?

I think Bella has a very distinct personality and it would probably be really hard for her to find someone that suited her. I don't mean that shes fickle or anything, just that she wants someone who she be with that she can be herself with and that's kind of hard, becasue she's different. That's why Edward was so appealing, he was very different.

3. Why do you think Bella didn't run for her life when Jacob told her the story of "the cold ones"? Would you have reacted the same way>?

I think she was looking for an answer to what was going on with Edward. She had already come up with the super hero ideas, this was just an extension of that. If it was something supernatural, then why not a vampire? I don't believe in vampires so I'm sure I wouldn't have reacted the same way lol.. but I do have a lot of reverence for the stories and the cultures of native peoples and I think I would have respected that that's what they believed about it.

4. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time? Were you as surprised as I was that he didn't hurt them?

I kind of knew from the time she first saw them that that wouldn't be the last of them. A pretty girl, walking alone at night was a big target for thugs. I wondered when she saw the silver volvo when she was looking for the bookstore if that might be Edward and I wasn't suprised when he showed up in the nick of time. I expected him to tear them limb from limb though, but that would have ruined everything his family had worked for in protecting their identity.

5. Did you figure out right away that they were on their way to prom or did you, like Bella, have something else in mind?

I had that one pegged right off. I just knew they would end up at the prom when the writer made it a point to mention that the other boy was telling eveyone that they would be going together. After everything that happened that was kind of return to normalcy.

6. The last line of Twilight has confused many readers as they assume Edward bites her right then and there. Were you one of those people? Be honest! And how did you feel about that ending? Are you dying to get the next book and dive in??

I don't think Edward is the kind of guy that would give up that easily. He doesn't want Bella to have to face the same things that he did. He doesn't want her to be in any kind of pain. He was even bothered that it hurt her when she was away from him. I think he wants her just the way she is and not as a vampire, even though Alice told him she would one day be one of them.

I totally agree that the scene at the studio was not what I expected. I think the movie will probably go to more extremes with this part of it than the book does. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the trailer I expect that to be what happens. But, I think Stephanie Meyer was a lot more focused on the relationship between Bella and Edward, than the whole vampire thing.

I'm looking forward to the next book, it's on my list of things to read. But, I'm going to wait til I can check it out online from my local library and download and read it. I'm number three in line out with about 6 people behind me lol... So it's gonna be a little while.

Last edited by Debbie - NASCAR; 02/21/09 07:41 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jeanette - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.