logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
[color:#FF0000] [/color] I have a exteremly important question and comment. First, what resources are out there for parents who think and believe thier child with learning disabilities are being undertaught.. Where I am from I have heard and seen if the parents get demanding and start stuff concerning a child the schools get hard on the child. My daughter is 9 and is suppose to be getting speech and occupational thearpy, but I was recently told that she is not retaining it so they felt that they needed to cut back on her times in the programs. I believe that just like a child without learning disabilities they would not back off if they need extra help, so why would they back off of my child and at least one other child that I know of in my county. Now she doesn't like school like she did four years ago, which she also has been in the same teachers class for three years and now she is in a class with all boys and same teacher. I suggest that sites or articles be written to give concerned parents help in this issue if they need it, and where to go to the site at. And maybe people need to bring it out so it won't happen to anyone else, or the school system will look closer at the school programs >

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
D
Thank you for your comment.
Let me just confirm a couple of things. I am assuming, since she does recieve speech and OT that she is on an IEP. If that is the case, the first thing I would look at are her measurable goals. Is she reaching her measurable goals?
If they are not reaching those goals then you have a very legitimate reason to NOT decrease services.
If you do not agree with changes on her IEP, note that when you sign. There should be a box indicating your approval or disapproval. Check the appropriate box and write which section you do not agree with and why.
Have you discussed any of your concerns with the district? If so, how do they respond?
I will also give a blanket statement of saying do not be intimidated. Know your rights, and use them. A lot of times, the information they are giving you IS wrong. A lot of that is due to a lack of training on their part, but they won't know if you don't challenge them on it. So know what you are talking about and stand up for it.

Please tell me some more information so that I can answer your comments a bit more thoroughly.

I look forward to more info.
Thanks again.

Diane Miller
Special Education Editor

Diane Miller, Special Education Editor
Special Education Website
Special Education Forum
J
J
My thoughts are, if she is not retaining the lessons, they aren't teaching to the way she learns.
Where do they come up with cutting back? They are supposed to provide the services your child needs.

Sorry but I believe it's difficult for schools to find & keep SLP's & OT's, so that would certainly be a reason to "cut back" on student services.

Here is an excellent site that has many advocacy tips, laws, etc.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

S
OP Offline
S
I have seen her IEP twice this school year. She has not met her goals as of yet. The school has not sent any work home with her or answered my requests that I have sent for a meeting with all of the teachers that work with her. She is able to do electronics like you would not believe. The teacher says that everyday is (a new day) starting over again. At home she does have her days that it is like starting over, but I see a smart child that is not being taught the way that keeps her interest. I have told the therapist what i have seen that keeps her focused. I have tried to do help them help my child. I did go to the head of the special education department and expressed my concerns,but I was basiclly shragged off. I told them that I didn't think it was good for her to be in a room with just boys/in a class with the same teacher. I felt that it would not be productive for her. I am trying to teach her a few things at home, but I have no material to teacher with except some old papers that was giving to me years ago for her(pre-k). So I would love to know what I could do to help her with schooling because now it is starting to show in the socializing areas. I have started to notice that other children don't want to be around her. She is exteremely hard to understand(speech) and is starting to act like she is around the age of a 5 year old. I do not want my child to suffer anymore. We have at home tried to enforce the speech and trying to learn in everthing she does,because we don't want her to feel different. Which yes, this year she has told several people that is around her alot that "I WISH I WAS NORMAL". As a mother I don't know what else to do but look on internet for all the information that I can to help her and laws that can help me handle the school system.. Thank you for any help stephanie

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
We have a full site on homeschooling, to give you some help with your at-home side of things! They have many great ideas on socializing there.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Also, you need to have a copy of her IEP. The school cannot make substantial changes without your signature. If you don't like it, then don't sign. A parent has due process rights. Get a copy of your rights, read and understand them!

Send letters. Keep copies of the letters. Get in touch with a local advocacy group. Read and educate yourself on Special Ed law. Go to wrightslaw.com and ldonline.com and find out what you need to know. Also, please stop by the ADD site on BellaOnline. Many topics and concerns about Special Ed are also discussed on the Attention Deficit Disorder site.

It is hard being your child's advocate. I feel the passion and frustration in your post. Your child will be blessed to have a parent who cares enough to advocate.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Moderated by  Celestine - Special Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.