Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I attended another seminar for downsized employees and one of the points that they drove home is that people may need to lower their standards when it comes to working. They introduced people that used to make a lot of money but are now reduced to working jobs at 1/3 their previous pay.

Have you had to lower your standards when looking for work?

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have been reading a lot of articles about this. What seems to happen at least in some cases is people get used to earning a raise every year - so they are no longer actually earning what they are "worth". If their company hired another person to replace them they could pay a much lower salary. So you have to look at what your skills are really worth, not at what your continual raises have brought you up to.

I think it helps to work to learn more skills, so that you really are worth more money, to stretch your horizons if you can.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I've been fascinated by the idea of "downshifting" not sure if that's the right term, but it's basically the idea of working less, and perhaps even making less money yet enjoying life more. I remember reading articles about this years before the current financial crisis. The idea was revolutionary back then to me because all advice before this was about raises, promotions and the journey toward the corner office.

So most likely if something has to �lower their standards� in terms of pay, there should be some sort of trade off in terms of less time on the job, less responsibility etc and with that comes more freedom to pursue other interests outside of the job and another stream of income even.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I agree there are two reasons or ways to "lower one's standard"
First a reduction to improve your quality of life. In that instance a pay cut or reduction in hours would be a welcome change.
In the other circumstance, it may not be what someone wants but in order to get a paycheck, they may have to take a job, for example, at McD's even though their previous job paid a lot more money. In this case, I also agree that training may be the key in order to learn new skills.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Once we all get a ride on this merry go round, I think we are going to find a lot more humble, less prideful and grateful people in our country.

Less is always more and this episode we're living will teach us all that our possessions are not as important as we think. To be content with what one has or has to do in order to survive, is a pondering thought I'm having to think on every day.

Dianne, I've been blessed to be an at home mom and we have been blessed in so many ways but as a family, we are quickly learning to not expect to buy the first thing that comes out (movie, video game,clothing, etc...),to eating more sensibly (can't afford to eat out as often), to thanking God for the house, job (hubbie has), transportation and health we've been blessed with.

Even my lil' landscape business is taking a big hit this spring. The phone isn't ringing and I'm wondering should I waste any more ink, distributing advertisement.

I say this to all my acquantainces, we must learn to trust in God, or should have learned to trust in God, the only provider who can take care of you in such a crisis as what we're encountering, INSTEAD OF THE ALMIGHTY $. I really like our new President, hey I even voted for him and I do believe in him, but my faith is not in a man.

Take care all of you and nourish your faith.

Last edited by Kimmie08; 02/19/09 12:53 PM.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes,sometimes 'lowering standards' can be reworded 'widening horizons.'

Many are taking the opportunity to develop skills and creativity in new areas such as writing,craft,blogging,sports etc. Sometimes these new activities lead to a new form of work!

It's how I started my writing business!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: BellaShorts
Yes,sometimes 'lowering standards' can be reworded 'widening horizons.'

Many are taking the opportunity to develop skills and creativity in new areas such as writing,craft,blogging,sports etc. Sometimes these new activities lead to a new form of work!

I like that! It definitely puts a more positive outlook on it.
Another thought I had was over the years, I've watched customers go into restaurants and stores and be really rude to the staff for no apparent reason. I'm not talking in all cases...but I've stood online behind people and the cashier was moving quickly being pleasant, but when it became this customer's turn, they were rude to the cashier. I think as people are downsized into these position, they get a greater appreciation of the difficult job that waiters and cashiers or anyone in customer service have...

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
By lowering the standards, perhaps we can raise the standards in the family. For the past 20-30 years, I think families have taken a huge hit.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi Angie,
You're right. I think being unemployed is actually on the plus side for families because they have more time to spend together. Hopefully as people go back to work, they will remember and learn to balance work vs family.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Trouble with unemployment is that free time or no, talents development or not, - families can't afford the luxury of that extra time for very long,sadly.

Sign of the times we live in - not being able to get off the overtime treadmill at all? At least writing online is free to get into!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.