logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shark
Shark
I agree with you and the points are well made. I also know that women experience many more hormonal problems than do men, plus have thyroid disease at least five times more often than do men. These are points I've made often in articles. This means that of the 30 to 60 million thyroid disease sufferers in the U.S.alone, about 6 to 12 million are men, which is still a very high number, especially when you look at worldwide statistics in the 100s of millions.
IBS has about 2 to 3 times more women sufferers than men and for almost all diseases you can name, the statistic-ratio has more women sufferers than men. I place as much and more importance in helping educate women generally with thyroid disease information than I do in educating men, for this same reason of their being more female thyroid patients out there. I absolutely adore women, my wife, daughter and mother are women. My mother has hypothyroidism and both my son and daughter are already displaying signs of thyroid disease (son has a goiter at age-24).
What's the best way to get the information out on these diseases in addition to that being done by the medical community? You're looking at it. The only way is for people like myself who suffer thyroid disease, Oprah Winfrey and whoever else is willing to jump on the campaign, to help out. I'm actually hoping more men will become advocates and not feel supressed in doing so due to a stigma that these are women's diseases. I had a man say to me shortly after I was diagnosed, that he thought my Hashimoto's-hypothyroidism was a women's disease (I had to bite my tongue & resist the urge to lift him in the air by his shirt collar). Shortly after that I met several men in my own town who have both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroism conditions and an uncle with Grave's Disease (same as was experienced by Pres. George Bush Sr.). All of these factors are what brought me into this thyroid patient advocacy I'm involved with.
About 2 months ago, a man in the UK started a thyroid disease forum and invited me to become a moderator there, which I'm also doing. ThyroidHelp.Org. They love having women on the forum as well but felt it was important for men to feel freedom to be involved in the support and advocacy. Mary Shomon began a campaign in 1998 to inspire men to come forward more about their thyroid disease, for the same reasons I stated above. Thyroid Disease and Men-Mary Shomon
Don't get me wrong Shay, I'm not at all saying that you had this type view yourself but you did enter mention of hormonal problems related more to women into your post and I always take those opportunities to express a perspective. I take no offense to it whatsoever but at the same time can't leave it lying there without adding to the balance of it (it's why I'm here). I have this Editorship and moderation for the Thyroid Health site and I always try to put my best behind any info, forum or articles.

Oprah has already come forward about her thyroid condition. What we in Thyroid Patient Advocacy have actually been saying, is that with her already letting the public know about it, we would love to have a bit more detail. As I said in the earlier post, she's not obligated but it's already out and we would just be pleased to see more info like the basic question of what caused her thyroid condition. If it's female hormonal imbalance, I'll step aside and leave the futher commenting on that aspect to those qualified to comment. If thyroid autoimmunity or other thyroid disease/condition is the cause, this would be something I could comment on.

(Whoops, I had to come back and correct a link above.)

Last edited by JimLow - Thyroid Health; 01/26/09 07:39 AM.

Jim Lowrance
Thyroid Health
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Hi Jim,

It's very interesting for me to learn a little bit about thyroid issues - until now, I had no idea about them being a predominantly female concern. Before Oprah brought it up, I hadn't really heard much about it, but she really has a way of getting your attention!

I can so understand your wanting to know more about Oprah's condition. I can imagine that if she announced that she had developed a chronic GI tract issue, implied that she was cured, then went on to something else, I would be dead curious to know more details, too! Since I have an impatient streak, I would go right to her site and email her, with any questions that I might have. Otherwise I would probably drive myself crazy waiting for her to say something! crazy

Shay

Shark
Shark
Shay,

That's right exactly!
There were actually issues from the beginning, not actually with Oprah whom we respect greatly for her willingness to come forward about her disease but with those advising and treating her. All us thyroid patients were at the point she's at with having been diagnosed and trying to learm more and I feel certain she's sharing more of the info as she learns it. Some of us have been concerned about some of the related info as well, that has gone out to the public via some of her guests who were both helping educate Oprah and the public at the same time.
I though about adding a message to the forum at Oprah's site sometime ago but she has been so bombarded and it began to look like pressure/demands and I didn't want to add to that. I was just grateful when she came forward about her thyroid condition and expressed this in an article: March 2007> Oprah Winfrey Diagnosed With Hypothyroidism.
Mary Shomon published a letter on her site> An Open Letter to Oprah's Viewers because a Dr. Christiane Northrup stated on Oprah's show that thyroid disease occurs in women due to her comment "In many women thyroid dysfunction develops because of an energy blockage in the throat region, the result of a lifetime of 'swallowing' words one is aching to say."
Thyroid patients and patient advocates felt in this case Dr. Northrup was generalizing to much and in a sense placing the blame for thyroid disease on the patients themselves. Most of us have spiritual beliefs however, we try not to generalize people into same categories and fit them all under our own beliefs because nothing applies exactly the same to every case. Mary's article to the viewers who saw the show was attempting to make it clear that the cause is not always the same and she mentioned hormonal shifts of perimenopause and menopause as one of the possible causes. I know from reading Mary's books and reviewing them (sent to me from her) that she too has spiritual beliefs so didn't come from a rejection of that but a desire to show diverse causes for thyroid disease. The hormonal shifts of perimenopause and menopause certainly doesn'y apply to men and postpartum thyroiditis doesn't either, so here again are different causes, in different cases.
As you said, we've all been glued to Oprah's story because her immense viewership is great opportunity to further thyroid disease education.
I've really enjoyed this thread and thank you Shay and everyone for the input. I like being nudged myself because my better posts and articles come from that.
Keep inputting everyone as you think of more or learn more on this!

Last edited by JimLow - Thyroid Health; 01/26/09 05:53 PM.

Jim Lowrance
Thyroid Health
Parakeet
Parakeet
Jim,

We really do live in a marvelous time, when so many issues can be openly discussed! Oprah has burst open an informational system that truly has changed the way we talk about our mind/body/soul issues, and has taken the shame out of so many health and well-being aspects of life. I think this is wonderful, and only feel cringy when doctors feel entitled to publicly diagnose someone (even if it's only in theory) who is not their patient. It just feels wrong/unethical to me.

I'm a total believer myself in the holistic approach to health issues, as I see, like Dr. Christiane Northrup does, the body as a complete, sentient entity. i.e. The mind the body and the soul are all tightly intertwined entities that effect one another simultaneously. They are in constant communication with each other on the cellular and quantum level and will let you know on many levels when something is out of balance. Many, many times it's on the body/health level, and is simply a message, and in no way an implies finger pointing. From my perspective, it's rather like the telephone ringing, and eliciting a blame/fault response from the person who has to answer it, if that makes sense! It's unfortunate that so many people felt "blame" and "fault" issues with her statements, to the point where Mary Shomon felt the need to issue the letter. frown (Many health issues are attributed to buried feelings of "blame", "guilt," "fear" and "anger" and most stomach issues are due on some level, to these emotions.) To Christine's credit, she did say "In many women..." which did leave lots of room for other causes. smile

I feel your sensitivity about overwhelming Oprah! I'm pretty sure, however that she has people reading her emails for her, and compile the ones that feel important or relevant, so please don't let that discourage you! The more emails that come in on the same topic, the more attention they will get. smile As a matter of fact, it was numerous viewer emails that her people didn't tell her about, questioning her about getting her thyroid checked that finally led to her diagnosis!

I have really learned a lot here, Jim, and I thank you for the opportunity to both learn and share! We all await more news about Oprah's thyroid/menopausal hormone issues...

Shay

Parakeet
Parakeet
Jim, his is veering a little off topic, but I wonder if you have written an article on the TMC approach to thyroid issues? I'm a big fan of Chinese Medicine. I ran across this interview by Mary Shomon and Dr. Patrick Purdue, and found it interesting:

The Yin and Yang of the Thyroid

Shay

Shark
Shark
Shay,

I haven't written any articles specifically on Chinese Medicine but have a number of them on natural and holistic treatments in general. Even in these I don't venture too far outside of hormone replacement for people with hypothyroidism and in regard to drugs and treatments that slow thyroid production in people with hyperthyroidism (including ablation and thyroid removal in severe cases).
The reason I don't is because these two things must be the treatment and unavoidable with the two conditions in the vast majority of cases. Even with this true, there are natural, holistic, Chinese etc... natural treatments and remedies that I have no doubt can be beneficial when supplemented to conventional, medical thyroid treatments. I realize too, that Chinese Medicine also includes things such as acupuncture/pressure that thyroid patients have reported helps them a great deal. I also believe natural treatment can prevent thyroid disease in some people but if the onset of hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism sets in, it is too late for prevention and conventional treatment has to be administered.
Here's one example of why this is the case:
Iodine for example found in supplements and high-iodine natural products like kelp can benefit some people who have tendency toward hypothyroid disease (runs in their family) but once they actually experience the onset of hypothyroidism and thyroid autoimmunity (antibodies attacking the gland) is the cause, iodine supplementation can accelerate both the thyroid autoimmunity and the hormone imbalance, causing it to worsen. Some natural supplements are also contraindicated (works adversley) against thyroid medication. Certain supplements can seriously hinder the absorption of thyroid hormone.
It is because of the possible contraindications and the variables between patients that place some at risk for adverse reactions to natural supplements and others not, that I limit the amount of information I write about it. I do often list supplements that help with adrenal fatigue which is often co-morbid to thyroid diseases because I'm comfortable that the particular ones I mention are safe in almost all cases. Many doctors don't recognize adrenal fatigue and people must have something to help them with no conventional treatments at all offered by the medical community.
Here's one article where I express my firm belief in natural/holistic treatments> Natural Treatments For Thyroid Disorders?
Over time I will likely add more on natural but one reason it is taking a while is because there's so much to cover in regard to conventional treatments that are mandatory in most cases of overt hypo and hyper thyroid conditions.
Also Shay, I'll link to your site either in the "Related Physical Conditions" or "Supplements and Vitamins" topic areas if that's okay with you or look through my subjects and let me know which one would be best to add your link to. Stomach problems are common in thyroid patients and your site would be great for referring them to.
I already have the Alternative Medicine Site, Holistic Health Site, Nutrition Site and the Wellness Site linked in my "Supplements and Vitamins" area, here> Supplements and Vitamins

Jim Lowrance
Thyroid Health
Parakeet
Parakeet
Hi Jim,

I'm always happy to meet another advocate of greater health who supports nature's cures and treatments! Of course it makes perfect sense to stay away from conflicting supplements if one needs to be on a prescribed medication. I agree that one should always make educated choices when treating thyroid or any other health issues, particularly when under monitored care.

Great article on natural treatments. You are truly passionate and extremely well educated in your field. I have learned a great deal from you, and I would be honored to be linked to your site. smile I would guess that the "Related Physical Conditions" topic area would be the most appropriate. What do you think?

I will do some serious research on thyroid related stomach problems and write an article on it. By all means don't hesitate to PM me with anything you feel is relevant for me to cover!

Shay

Shark
Shark
Shay,

Thanks for the kind comments and uplift! I browsed your site and can say the same of you, with so many articles you have there and covering such a spectrum on stomach issues. Your passion for your Editor topic is also obvious!

Here's where I placed the link to your site>> Related Physical Conditions

In regard to stomach issues with thyroid disease, constipation is what often affects hypothyroid patients, while frequent diarrhea affects hyperthyroid patients. When thyroid disease is the autoimmune type (most common cause) patients are also at higher risk for other autoimmune prolems like Crohn's Disease and Pernicious Anemia (inability of the stomach to absorb B12) which is due to auto-antibodies attacking a protein in the stomach called "intrinsic factor" that absorbs B12 from foods.

It's amazing how conditions can be interrelated and makes for an incredible amount of area for us Editors who write on health conditions to cover. I'm enjoying though, as I know you are.

Blessings,
Jim

Jim Lowrance
Thyroid Health
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.