logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
2012 The end of planet earth as we know it - does anyone know the theories behind this prediction

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Hi, I think this is based on the Mayan Calendar which ends in 2012. There have been shows on either the History Channel or PBS about this.

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
There are many different predictions coming from more than just the Mayan calendar.

There will be an alignment of the Earth, Sun, and the center of the Milky Way on 12/21/2012 (Winter Solstice). That has sparked some of the hypotheses about 2012. No one quite knows what this alignment will bring.

Other hypotheses revolve around a possible global awakening in 2012, that will essentially allow humanity to evolve to a new level. Whether this will be a peaceful awakening or a global catastrophe that causes the awakening, I guess we'll find out. I tend to think it will be the latter, though I hope for the former.

Another one involves a shift in the magnetic poles, which has happened multiple times in the past and is due to happen again.

Plus, there are a whole slough of other natural phenomenon that we are ultimately due for: a comet or asteroid hitting us, us going through a highly turbulent area of the galaxy, etc...

All kinds of goodies. There are a ton of books about this.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: froggie0424

Other hypotheses revolve around a possible global awakening in 2012, that will essentially allow humanity to evolve to a new level. Whether this will be a peaceful awakening or a global catastrophe that causes the awakening, I guess we'll find out. I tend to think it will be the latter, though I hope for the former.

Perhaps that is why the Mayan Calendar stopped where it did. Did they disappear or disperse at a time when there was an event? I hope the same doesn't happen to us.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: froggie0424
There are many different predictions coming from more than just the Mayan calendar.

There will be an alignment of the Earth, Sun, and the center of the Milky Way on 12/21/2012 (Winter Solstice). That has sparked some of the hypotheses about 2012. No one quite knows what this alignment will bring.

Another one involves a shift in the magnetic poles, which has happened multiple times in the past and is due to happen again.

Plus, there are a whole slough of other natural phenomenon that we are ultimately due for: a comet or asteroid hitting us, us going through a highly turbulent area of the galaxy, etc...

All kinds of goodies. There are a ton of books about this.

I have been wondering about the various sources for this also. I had heard from an astrologer friend that there is a general shift going on, represented by shifts in the outer planets, and that 2012 is when certain of these culminate, which doesn't necessarily mean anything will happen right in 2012, but rather that this whole period - a few years before and after - is a big transition period. From her perspective everything going on now politically and economically is part of this shift, but we may not really see the full results of the shift until we look back on it many years after 2012. Have you heard this view?

My big concern with a lot of what I have read about this theory is the fear-mongering that is going on. It is just like 2000, when many people used the idea that the world was going to fall apart that year to frighten people into adopting their views, etc.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
I do think it is interesting to ponder such things, but at the same time I agree with you. If you believe you create your own reality with the energies and such you send out, it's pretty easy to see that taking a lot of this doom and gloom seriously isn't creating a good energetic atmosphere. (Basically, perhaps just our thoughts on the matter will direct the future to this more unpleasant course.)

And, a lot of it we can't do anything about anyway. If a comet hits the earth, we will just have to deal with it.

The stuff that we can control is the stuff I'm more interested in. Perhaps this idea of "global awakening" will allow us to see the problems that have been going on and finally respect each others' differences. You know, as opposed to blowing each other up...

We shall see, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism

My big concern with a lot of what I have read about this theory is the fear-mongering that is going on. It is just like 2000, when many people used the idea that the world was going to fall apart that year to frighten people into adopting their views, etc.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I wrote an article on the 2012 predictions that discusses some possiblities and my personal opinion on the subject. Personally, I do not feel as though the world is going to end, as many seem to think. I just think there will be many changes, some profound.

Here is the link to my article:

Approaching The Fifth World

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
I think that 2012 will be a time of change. I believe that if we look to catastrophic events for such a change that we might look amiss. There is no greater change than that which happens within each individual or more porfound. It happens within not without. For some folks 2012 might very well be the end, at least in their understanding and they must grasp a higher consciousness. For some, it may be just another year, and for some it may be a time when the shackles of bondage fall off.

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 04/19/09 08:23 AM.
Very well said, ancientflaxman. The changes will more than likely come from within each individual and how they perceive life and their spiritual connections/growth.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 05/02/09 08:49 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Gecko
Gecko
[quote=Angie]Hi, I think this is based on the Mayan Calendar which ends in 2012. There have been shows on either the History Channel or PBS about this. [/quote] It is based on the Mayan calendar; however it is believed by many that the reason why the date ends in 2012 is because that is when the end of earth/life as we know it. Others believe it is not the end rather a big change EX: Ice Age. There has been extreme changes in our atmosphere over the past ten years and we are now seeing those changes more than ever. Blessed be....

Proud Pagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ro Longstreet-Wicca 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.