Next Thread
Print Thread
C
chloe21 Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
C
If so, what types of decorations do you put out?

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Well, when my kids were little but old enough to read, I cut out a bunch of red construction paper hearts that were connected on one side so you could open up the little heart flaps. They looked like a heart-shaped "book." Do you know what I mean?

I wrote one of their names on the front and on the inside, I wrote down one reason why I loved them. Then, I taped them up all over the house.

They ran around, peeking behind the hearts, to read all the wonderful things about them. They had such a fun time! My heart swelled as I saw the smiles spread across their faces when they read why they were so loved and so special. Of course, I included their father and they pulled him to all of his own "hearts." Then, a heart-shaped cake for dessert. Their father always brought home small heart-shaped boxes of candy for each of them (my father had started that tradition when I was young!)

Today, I'm not very creative with Valentine decorations. I'll be happy to put out a fresh bouquet of flowers on the table and a few carefully chosen greeting cards...a special dinner with candlelights...music...a clean house. Hey, a clean house is a nice decoration in my book!

Someone who was fantastic at throwing parties once told me that balloons, even a simple balloon bouquet, always signal "party" and it does add a festive touch. But I usually only get them for big events.

What do you do?

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Lori, your little valentine books sound like such a wonderful thing to do for the family. I think I will do this.

I like to make my own Valentine cards and personalize them for each special person I give them to. It is a lot of fun for me and the person who gets one really appreciates it.

I have a red heart-shaped chocolate box I received like 30 years ago from my son and daughter. I keep special little momentos in it. Each year I get it out on Valentine's day and cherish the memories all over again.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Well, they went over really well. And they were cheap!!! Ahem, I mean, affordable!!!

Another time, I blew up helium balloons (from a small helium tank I got at a party store for $20) and I inserted little folded up notes. The kids had a blast catching and popping the balloons to read their "prizes" which were all no- or low-cost. (Three piggy back rides, 2 funny jokes, 1 spinning around, penny candy, etc.)

I also did this without the helium, too. The kids still love all those balloons on the floor. They loved to walk through a red balloon fog! Not all balloons contained prizes either.

Balloons are pretty cheap.

I wish I could make up special cards. You'd think that I'd be able to come up with some pretty profound Valentine's Day cards, as a writer and all. But my emotions overwhelm me and I get all choked up and words just seem so limiting. Then, I resort to those corny Hallmark cards like all the other desperate people standing in front of a card rack on Valentine's Day.

I wish I were more poetic. frown

Just to write down how you feel about that person is good - like you did in your little heart books. Or just a simple phrase is good. Like you wold see on the old fashioned Victorian cards.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll give it a try this year.

But usually, I end up being very morbid and talk about how I want to die in his arms. LOL. It sounded so touching when John Denver wrote that in Annie's Song ("I want to drown in your laughter. Let me die in your arms!") When I tried to cop that type of line in one of my cards to my husband, he grew alarmed that I was becoming suicidal! LOL!!!

I noticed from reading your posts that you naturally express yourself in very poetic sentiments. I might need to work at this harder!

Once I wrote a long list of the 100 things I loved about him. He did like that a lot. I had to really get down to every little detail, like his strong, rough-hewn hands that work hard to provide for his children...and the way that they caress my bare shoulders when he talks to me in bed at the end of the day.

But too many words! He's not a reader, per se, and I go on too much. Poetry can so skillfully and powerfully express in brevity.

Any suggestions for bringing out the poet in me?

C
chloe21 Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
C
Lori, you have such great ideas for Valentine's Day! I like the little heart books. Your kids must have felt so special. And the balloons would be such a good idea for a party.

Phyllis, making your own Valentine cards is such a nice way to celebrate the holiday. Taking the time to make your own is so thoughtful.

I have a few fun things that I decorate with- a string of lighted hearts, a Snoopy Valentine table runner, candles and I always like to have some decorated candies set out. I also like to bake either cupcakes or heart shaped cookies with pink and red sprinkles on top.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
The first year I was with my boyfriend I decorated the entire house for Valentine's Day and he thought it was a bit much smile Now after 13 years I'm lucky if we go out somewhere! Restaurants get so mobbed that usually we just have a special meal at home smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
I love those little hearts, what a great idea. I think I will do that this year, my kids will love it. I also like the 100 things I love about you idea.

I never wished to be able to write him a poem, I must admit I really hate reading and writing poetry. When I pick out cards, I always go for humor. Actually- on Valentine's day I usually go for sexy cards for him. Sappy romantic things make me cry, so i avoid those unless it's a Lifetime movie and all the kids are on sleepovers, then it's triple fudge ice cream on the nightstand and a box of tissues in my lap. Ahhh, cheap therapy!

We usually stay in, too. I always make sure we have a nice bottle of wine and a few candles.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.