Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#484337 01/12/09 06:38 PM
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
As Valentine's Day approaches, any ideas for the perfect romantic meal? Or what is your husband or wife's favorite dish? Recipes, please?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
This has become kind of the "traditional" meal for Valentine's, though if I try something new, David rarely complains, LOL!

But it is Cornish Game Hens stuffed with garlic and herb cheese (like Alouette or Boursin)

It is really that simple; stuff the cheese into the game hens, truss them up like you do a turkey so the cheese doesn't ooze out during cooking, rub a little oil into the skin, sprinkle with seasoning salt and cook at 425 degrees for about 20-25 min.

Some tips: To make it easier to put the cheese in, use a gallon ziploc baggie and put the cheese in there, cut the tip off, and use like you would a cake decoratin bag. Then all you have to do is throw the bag away when you are done.

To check for doneness on the game hens- don't use a meat thermometer - you'll wind up hitting bone which is much hotter than meat. Insteadnjust cut into the space between leg and thigh. If the juice is clear the hens are done, if it is stiull pink cook for 5-10 more minutes.

Then you use your kitchen scissors to cut the hens open down the middle of the breast and the cheese is all melty and gooey and you dip the bread in it.

Serve it with a salad and lots of fresh bread and a crisp white wine.

This is a meal more for hands than utensils, so that's why it is good for Valentine's - because it's just kind of intimate.

Instead of a big formal table, set it out like a picnic in front of the fireplace.

A really great dessert with this is simple fruits that you can dip in either melted chocolate or whipped cream or both.

Last edited by Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd; 02/09/09 03:02 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
Oh, wow Michelle, that sounds simply divine! I haven't had Cornish Game Hen in ages. But getting my hubby to eat without utensils??? NEVAH!!! He won't even eat pizza without a fork! LOL

L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
MMMMMMMMMM!!!! I have got to try that!!!! All that melty cheese...eating with your fingers...

My husband's favorite "go to" dish is a steamed mussels dish. I use the one from Food Network's website by Tyler Florence. We mop up the sauce with crusty French bread. Serve with a fresh spring greens salad.

And you know what they say about shellfish being an aphrodisiac.

The only thing is that the mussels aren't very filling and we get hungry soon after. I think I'll try your Cornish hen recipe this year. They're on sale around Valentine's Day, too.

Last edited by Lori-Marriage; 01/14/09 10:42 PM.
K
K
Me and my fiance both loved to cook and try out new things. He loves trying out gormet recipes and putting his own twist to it. So it is kind of surpricing to find out that his favorite meal is shake n bake chicken with cheesy garlic mashed potatoes. It doesnt matter what other side goes with it as long as the potatoes and chicken are there and weh have to have this at least twice a month. Last Valentines Day we made steak oscar. I had nto eatin it before so it was something new to me. We made it together kind of a team effort which was fun and somewhat intimate and we ate it in candle light (tacky maybe but he was trying so hard to be romantic and it was so cute I loved it) This year I want to make something light either with seafood or chicken I havent figured out what yet though. The cornish hen recipe soudns delic I am craving something cheesy right now!!

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Whatever meal my husband wants on Valentine's day, he'd better be bringing it home, or taking me out for it, cause I'm not cooking. It's my day as well.

My husband's favorites change on a regular basis. When he finds something he really like, we 'have' to have it 3 or 4 times a month. Within a few months I hear "I don't know why we have this so much. I don't like it and I never have." We're just a few months short of our 40th anniversary, so I've heard it quite a lot.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
LOL, GrannyH! You're right. It IS your day as well. I guess I enjoy cooking so it's my way of expressing my love. And Valentine's Day is the busiest restaurant day of the year before Mother's Day so we don't like to brave the crowds.

There have been Valentine's Day when he's cooked for me. Rarely. But when he used to cook, the kids cried. He's improved vastly.

And I think it's a hoot what your hubby says! Men. What can you do?

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming 40th. Any marriage advice would be appreciated!

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I changed the directions a little bit in the recipe above (added some tips, too), I made them this past weekend as I'll be at a cheer competition all this weekend! crazy

But they do better at higher temp, lower time rather than the other way around - crisper skin, moister meat. So I changed that.

Oh, and my husband takes such good care of me all the time (with my migraines so much) - that I do not mind at all cooking for him on special occasions such as this. He deserves to be pampered every now and then.

Last edited by Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd; 02/09/09 03:05 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Love it, Michelle! Thank you so much! I know the readers will love this recipe! The crispy skin sounds divine.

Hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day with your special love.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Well, that does it, my husband can't see this thread, lol!

It'll set the bar way too high! grin

In all seriousness, those sound like some wonderful dinners! I probably need to get offline and into the grocery store.

Happy Valentine's Day! smile

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
This man loves food but as said to me over and over, every day....."my favorite food is YOU with whipcream". Okay, enough said, blush I'm blushing much too much. shocked

Last edited by Kimmie08; 02/19/09 01:34 PM.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Ooh, Kimmie! You are one lucky lady! smile

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Lady, who you telling. I'm so grateful everyday. Even when he makes me mad and vice versa.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.