Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#480948 01/02/09 09:47 AM
Ms.D Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
What detergent would you all recommend, that leaves clothe smelling fresh? With so many choices out there I want to know what is really effective!

*Transitions*
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Ms.D #481045 01/02/09 04:01 PM
L
Shark
Shark
L
I used to use 'Surf' for husband's work clothes but it got bought out by 'All' and they combined and I didn't like it as much, then I just coudn't find it anywhere.
But I now like the 'Gain' varieties--especially the one with Baking Soda added--for all my laundry. It smells so good! I love it on the towels and sheets! The ultra formulas work well and do not take much liquid for a whole load--about half a cap. It does a great job on dirt and stains too.

Ravyn

Last edited by LadyLvsNyt; 01/02/09 04:03 PM.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
I have been a Tide fan for years.I have never had a problem with stains,etc at all.

Ms.D #481149 01/02/09 08:10 PM
L
Shark
Shark
L
I have no idea why the reply I posted a few hours ago is not here, but in case it never shows up...I said that I used to use 'Surf' for the stinky work clothes and it did a great job but they changed it and now I can't find it anywhere so I am using 'Gain'. I like the one with Baking Soda especially but have tried a few other formulas too--the scents are very fresh and pleasant--really nice on the towels and sheets!

Ravyn

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
We're at the stage in life that our laundry isn't stained, dirty, etc; it just needs to be freshened. So the 'cheap' stuff works go enough. But for the fresh scent - in the entire house on laudry day and in the closet for long term - I use one of the DOWNY scents. Can't be beat.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
GrannyH #482380 01/06/09 12:35 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Actually, if you can smell your detergent it's because it's not washing out of your laundry. I find the best way to create a nice smell while actually getting the soap out of my clothes is to use a fabric softener sheet in the dryer.

Otherwise, Tide with Bleach Alternative is really great for really dirty clothes. I've never found one that good on actual STAINS without pre-treatment of some sort--but Tide w/BA comes closest.

Heather DeGeorge
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Is your statement - the smell in your clothing comes from the detergent that was not rinsed out - also true of the fabric softener that I mentioned? I so much prefer softener in the washer instead of sheets in the dryer, I don't know if I could or would change. Does this residue damage the fabrics?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
GrannyH #483247 01/08/09 03:21 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
It may or may not damage or break down the fabric over time--make it pill easier or whatever. Hard to say for sure. It's most important for people with skin sensitivities.

Fabric softener (all kinds) creates a coating on your fabric--so it is, by design, meant to stay on there. For this reason, many people don't use fabric softener on things that are meant to be absorbent, like cloth diapers or towels.

Heather DeGeorge
Amoeba
Amoeba
I like using All Small & Mighty. I had tried an off brand, but my 16 year old son complained that it left a residue on his clothes and sheets that irritated his skin. So I got rid of the rest of that and went back to All. Some things you can get by with buying cheaper brands. Laundry is not one of them. I also use Bounce fabric softener. I tried Downy, but didn't like the feel of that either, or honestly, the scent.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Sometimes it seems like I use a detergent for awhile and then it stops working. I used Cheer, but then for some reason when the clothes were drying, I noticed a not quite clean smell, when I was drying my active childs clothes. So I switched to Tide (neither one of them are particulary cheap by the way) now I'm starting to notice that smell again. I'm trying to decide if its my washer, the dryer or the detergent...Any thoughts?

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.