logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
K87 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi everyone, I am a fourth year university student currently doing my dissertation. I am investigating what influences women's magazines and their idealized images of physical attractiveness have over female�s perceived body images and associated consumption behaviours. I aim to discover how women feel when they see images of models in adverts, particularly adverts for cosemtics and if these adverts encourage women to go out and purchase the products beliveing that they too will look like the models if they only used the right cosemtics.
If anyone has any thoughts on this matter I would be really grateful if you could share your opinions with me.

Thanks

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
nerdwritermom
Unregistered
nerdwritermom
Unregistered
N
Great question!

You know what? I think it's more subtle than what you describe. I think most women don't aim to look like the models...and don't think they will look like the models. I think they're more savvy than that. We're a very propaganda-aware bunch of consumers, we are.

I think the message women DO get from the ads with beautiful models is that this is THE standard of beauty they are working amidst. Whether or not they buy the cosmetics - and so many don't - they get the idea that there is ONE standard of beauty that earns full approval in society - and to attract or keep a mate, they must either emphasize their congruence with, or opt out of aiming for, that standard of beauty. So you have women who use beauty aids as essential tools, not to meeting a standard of beauty but to allying themselves with that standard of beauty. And you have others who scorn the tools and the body/beauty image that goes along with them.

I think today's women don't want to look like airbrushed models; they're not deifying the models. Instead, they're learning a social norm and either trying to demonstrate conformity to that norm, or show they reject it.

Is that distinction too subtle? What do y'all think?

Karen

Till the Fat Lady Blogs
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.