Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
I'm having a cookie exchange with my girlfriends. I want to make thumbprints. I remember my gram's were delicious but my mom doesn't have her recipe. I know I can look on-line but I won't know if it's a good one.

Anyone have a winning recipe for me?

Also... is anyone else going or having a cookie swap?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
Here's a recipe I got from my mom for Cherry Winks. I love these at holiday time.

Cherry Winks

Ingredients

3/4 c shortening
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp millk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c pecans or walnuts, chopped
1 c dates
1/3 c marachino cherries chopped
2 1/2 c crushed corn flakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Blend shortening and sugar. Add eggs, miilk and vanilla and continue to blend.

In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend this with egg and
milk mixture.

Add pecans or walnuts, dates and chopped cherries.

Make little balls and drop into crushed corn flakes.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes.

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Thanks Joan, never heard of these, will give it a try.

S
S
those sound great.. Anybody know of a good gingerbread cookie recipe?

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Gingerbread Men...the perfect man. Sweet and cute, if he acts up you can bite his head off!

L
L
Hi! This is one of my favorite ones..and very easy!

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) Butterscotch Instant Pudding 1 egg 2 cups flour 1 tsp. baking soda 1 Tbsp. ground ginger 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

mix butter, sugar, pudding and egg. mix remaining ingredients and slowly add to pudding mixture. Mix and roll out dough and cut out cookies!
Bake 8 -10 minutes till set! Enjoy!

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Lightyear, just want to welcome you to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay!
Great recipe thanks
Rosie

Rosie L
M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi,

I have two favorite thumbprint recipes. The first comes from the
Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten on the Food Network) and is basically a shortbread cookie rolled in coconut, and filled with jam. Because this is shortbread, this dough can be a little crumbly, but I've never had a problem.

The second comes from an old cookie exchange cookbook and is rolled in nuts.

The Barefoot Contessa's Shortbread Thumbprints

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
Raspberry and/or apricot jam

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line your pans with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Alternatively use ungreased cookie sheets.

Sift together the flour and salt into a medium size bowl. In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until they are are just combined and then add in the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar, mixing just until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll half of the ball in coconut. Place the balls coconut side up on the lined or ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Place a 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring the cookies with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 30 cookies.

Thumbprint Cookies #2 - Yummy and a little less rich than the shortbread

3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped nuts
Fruit jam of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with nonstick foil or parchment paper or grease unlined baking sheets with shortening or nonstick spray.

In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together until well combined. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla. Add the flour and salt, mixing until just combined. In a small bowl beat the egg white with a whisk until foamy. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in egg white and nuts. Place on prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Make an indentation in the center of the cookie with your finger and fill with 1/4 teaspoon of jam. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for a minute or two before transferring the cookies with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

I have more helpful cookie making advice and recipes on my website, www.best-ever-cookie-collection.com.

Martha McKinnon
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Well...I will never have another cookie exchange. I made 3 kinds, 4 dozen each since I was the hostess. All were time consuming, delicious and pretty. I invited 8 girls to bring 2 kinds, 4 dozen each. One didn't show, one didn't bring cookies but she left with cookies and one brought store bought. What a let-down. Only one friend put some effort into it. The others made slice and bakes. GRRRR!

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Thank you so very much. I got your recipes too late but will save for next year since I'll probably be making most of my own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.