Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
LOLs. That was good, JohnGault. It's almost like a song. It's the Bush Clinton Song!

BTW, my husband did a double take when i told him your forum name. He thought that was clever.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
W
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
W
I would be suprised if that song didn't already exist as there is a song on EVERY other topic known to mankind laugh

John Galt is one of my favorite ficticious heros. I wish he were real because this is the type of political and social atmospheres that he did the things he did in the book. Tell your husband I said thank you for noticing. smile

Thanks for everyone for participating in the polls.

I personally wouldn't mind if a third party won the next couple elections as it would maybe force the two major parties to get their acts together and stop selling the American people a Bill of Goods. Personally, I am a Conservative and I saw at least three other candidates who I felt were more Conservative than McCain. I would have voted for Barr had Palin not joined the ticket. I liked a lot of his positions. So, I would be for a third party winning.

I am really not sure of how else to "fix" the government. I can see a lot of flaws, but what is the answer?

I once thought, well if they are going to run the country, why not subject them to standard polygraph tests when they hit a certain level going up the political ladder. We do this for people who are applying for national security jobs and jobs dealing with lots of money. Who gets to play with more money than Congress and who gets to handle more National Security than the President? (Obviously, this won't fly at all, but I really liked the idea)

I have had others suggest that the solutions start with fixing the education system. (A daunting task to say the least) They believe that the country needs to be fixed from the ground up.

What do you think about this?

-whoisjohngalt

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I told Dan and he says you're welcome. He noted that all of Ann Rand's characters always conducted themselves with the highest integrity regardless of which side of the argument they were on. I guess he is a fan too. smile

I have been saying that my solution to the government is to have a third party called Moderates. McCain would have been a wonderful candidate for the "moderate party." Palin could have ran for the Republicans and then Obama in the Democratic party.

That would have been an interesting race. I bet a lot of undecided voters would vote Moderate most of the time, just by default.

Do you think something like this could ever happen?

Last edited by Jilly; 11/21/08 08:55 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Also, the polygraph test sounds reasonable to me.

W
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
W
It's hard to see a third party winning the election any time soon. There is definate movement, but I don't think there is enough of it yet. I know some Republicans who are afraid of "taking the leap of faith" and voting independent because they know that it will split the Republican vote and guarantee a Democrat victory (as we saw in '92 with Peroe).

Actually, I've wondered why we don't get rid of the political parties all together. What is their purpose? Many people ignore the candidates and what the candidates are saying and just vote down the party lines. This would force people to do the research and create a country of informed voters.

Use this and the polygraph- say, a set of 100 questions, not necessarily about their views (pro or anti choice, pro or anti death penalty, pro or anti whatever), but instead questions like
have you ever taken a bribe, murdered someone, assisted in a terrorist plot, ect. Just to ensure that the candidates that we are getting have a conscience and will be a "public servant" rather than a "self servant."

I can't imagine that something like this is possible as it would be the politicians that would have to enact the polygraph rule and they would come up with things like it's an infringement of their privacy or that they are on medication and so they cannot take one. Too many of them could not pass it.

As far as abolishing the parties, there are too many people making money off of having them around and so I can't see this as a possibility either.

-whoisjohngalt

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk
That is funny John. Wouldn't that confuse the heck out of students. wow! 24 years of two families!!! We almost have that with Hillary in as Secretary of State - did she accept that yet?

I saw the funniest thing on Comedy Central the other night. Note: this is not normally a channel I watch - but Jeff Dunham was on there with hius puppets and I will not miss him. (Peanut for President! Actually it was Walter, but I like Peanut better.)

Anyway, right after Dunham was the "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
Stewart was showing all the issues that Obama and Hillary agreed on, and the one issue they did not? Foreign Affairs. So he appoints her as Secretary of State. crazy

Quote:
I am really not sure of how else to "fix" the government. I can see a lot of flaws, but what is the answer?

Scorch the Earth and start over wholesale?

Quote:
Actually, I've wondered why we don't get rid of the political parties all together. What is their purpose? Many people ignore the candidates and what the candidates are saying and just vote down the party lines. This would force people to do the research and create a country of informed

Or, what might make it even more interesting - don't even let people know who they are voting for - let them vote on the issues alone; and whoever wins the most that way become President. No party, no faces, people are farced to examine why they are voting for stuff.

But that would be too complex. frown

Sorry, I'm in a cranky & pessimistic mood this morning.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
C
Shark
Shark
C
I studied history in college--thought about majoring in it. One of our professors brought out the fact that having two predominate political parties has actually strenghtened our country in an unintended way.

Having two parties is not legislated (obviously), but the two-party system has had a stream-lining effect on our government. We only think we have problems now, but, when you compare our unofficial two-party system to countries that have 3 or more fairly stong parties, you see that their "works" get even more gummed up with stale-mating, arguing, and unsuccessful efforts at compromise--no clear majority ever being a realistic outcome.

Interestingly, we haven't always had the Republicans and the Democrats. Other parties predominated in earlier years. It's just that, unofficially, we have usually had two main parties. Of course, it's perfectly legal to have other parties. That's where we get the evolution of new ones!

At least we don't ditch our Presidents based on party majority. Systems which do that frequently end up changing leaders so often that continuity is virtually impossible to achieve. I'm glad our Presidents have a full 4 years to see what they can accomplish. 6 years might give them too much time to mess things up. With 4 years, if we like where they're headed, we can put them back in office. If we don't, we can get somebody new!

Last edited by cela; 11/22/08 11:38 AM.

cela
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Quote:
No party, no faces, people are farced to examine why they are voting for stuff.

nice Freudian slip there, Chelle.... ;-)

Last edited by Jilly; 11/22/08 08:17 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Obviously I wasn't just cranky but illiterate, too - LOL!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
V
V
Has anyone listened to the new Zogby poll about the people who voted for Obama? Would you believe that a majority of the people taking the poll did not know which party is in charge of Congress? Most thought that Republicans did because Bush was in office. This is because of the type of civic education taught in schools. They also answered questions thinking they knew info on Palin, regurgitating info that Saturday Night Live had on their parodies. People actually believed, as fact, what was made up. Many only got info from the major networks and did not check anything out. Well, they are going to find out very soon what and who they voted for; they will be surprised. A new Zogby poll about McCain voters is going on now.
Vicky

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.