Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Grrr...

Another one of these - a nursing mother in South Carolina, even though state law affords her the right to nurse in public, was bullied into a dressing room by Wal-Mart employees who grabbed her cart with her older child and her belongings basically forcing her to follow with her baby. One of the more insidious variations on these types of incidents. I'm pretty angry - can you tell?

Here's my article on the subject - Wal-Mart Angers Nursing Mom in South Carolina -- feel free to post your thoughts here, but remember, this is a BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT FORUM. If you want to engage in thoughtful discussion about this topic, great. But fair warning.. I will, at my discretion, delete posts that do not contribute in a respectful way.

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OK, I'm gonna skip over the nursing angle of this (just for a moment Nicki) - but those people put their hands on the other child! and took her away.

I'm imagining this woman was faiarly docile seeing as she had her infant in her arms - but me, I'd be screaming "What the H*** are you doing with my child, give him back - and basically raising enough of a holy ruckus that the police would have needed to be called in. NO ONE tries to take my child away from me!

And then to use that as a ploy to move the mother to a place they liked better - that is emotional blackmail!

I am pretty fed up with all of the silly lawsuits people have in this county - but I think this one should go after Walmart for emotional strain, kidnapping, blackmail - and I am sure there are a few other legal words that will stick, too.

Oooooo - that one makes me vey angry. mad I don't angry on here very often.

(Had to come back in and fix all the typos I made while I was typing in a hissy-fit, LOL)

Last edited by ChelleLaunch&Spirituality; 11/17/08 07:56 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OH YEAH! I'm right there with you both! I just want to scream HOW DARE THEY?

How is Walmart going to sell formula and bottles if it has a nursing mother running amok in their store? And you know it's all motivated by money!

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Why not round up all nursing mothers both present or past and with the woman who was embarrassed and humiliated and file a multi-Billion dollar class action lawsuit against Wal-Mart and their subsidiaries.

I am more than sure that there is a lawyer who would love to take this on. Win or lose, this case would garner so much attention and media coverage that even O.J. would say, "Hey, remember me? Why are you not talking about me anymore in the news."

The class action suit is a win-win situation for everyone except the respondents of the suit, Wal-Mart.

This will cause stores, global businesses and whomever else to think again about nursing mothers.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: ChelleLaunch&Spirituality
those people put their hands on the other child! and took her away.

Oooooo - that one makes me vey angry. mad I don't angry on here very often.

Yeah... this one has me more than average red in the face too. I'm glad your mad. I was a little worried about getting "in trouble" for being a bit more vitriolic than usual in my article this time. I'm just really getting tired of it. I'm waiting eagerly for the nurse-in plans that I'm sure are coming.. I'm planning on organizing for this area.

Nicki

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Wow! This REALLY surprises me. My husband is a manager at Wal-Mart and I can tell ya' right now this would NEVER have happened in his store. I nurse there all the time! *lauhging* I just dare someone to say something to me.

These employees clearly stepped outside their boundaries and what they've been trained to do when it comes to dealing with customers. I can only imagine that they will be coached within the store.

Angela <><

Edited to add - Yes. yes. Yes! It pisses me off that one person's inability to look away ends up penalizing an innocent child! I'm sorry - you are a grown man. If you don't like what you are seeing then DON'T LOOK. My helpless baby shouldn't have to suffer for your ignorance. Period. Thank you.

I say this as someone who got in trouble at church for nursing when my baby was only 6 days old. Why could they not have celebrated the fact I had my baby there in church his very frst week of life? Instead of shunning me because I fed him the way that Jesus was fed. Grr...

Last edited by Angela, Pregnancy Editor; 11/16/08 02:04 PM.

Angela England
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Update - My husband says Wal-Mart policy specifically states that where breastfeeding is allowed a nursing mother is not to be harassed at all. My husband said he just looked at this about three weeks ago after Micah was born and that it specifically sates that Wal-Mart associates are NOT TO APPROACH OR INTERRUPT the nursing mother in any way.

These employees were rougue and acting outside of wal-mart company policy according ot the rules and regulations my husband just reviewed this month.

Angela <><

Angela England
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Angela,

I have to wonder though, why didn't wal-mart SAY that when asked to comment?!? Like with Applebees... I was perfectly willing to accept that some employees (and even managers) are stupid and/or make mistakes. Apologize and move on. But their ridiculous corporate reply about the blankets is what killed it. If Wal-Mart supports nursing moms, they need to get out front and say it was wrong, won't happen again and shouldn't happen anywhere.

Nicki

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Humph - I missed the blanket part. That so irks me too. *sigh*

I wonder why corporate responses are always so...vetted. Not just Wal-Mart but every time. Applebee's, that canadian airline awhile back (West air or something), Macy's last year. On and on. Do they think they'll get in trouble for saying, "Whoops! Sorry about that. Our policy is for nursing mothers to be left undisturbed and we'll make sure to issue a company-wide memo reminding all workers of that fact". ??

Angela <><

Angela England
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I'm not a nursing mother, never have been and won't be. That said, "wtf?" Pardon the implied vulgarity but in a country that supposedly espouses "traditional family values" how can we treat mothers, who are doing what is considered best for their babies, that way? Grr indeed. For pity's sake.

Barbara Sharpe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.