Print Thread
#466702 11/08/08 12:08 PM
B
bepart Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
B
I am going to try posting this topic here because I truly believe we can have a discussion about sexism in politics without making party distinctions.

I have been totally disgusted by the sexist treatment that Hilary Clinton and Sarah Palin have received during this election. Regardless of your feelings for the politics of either one of them, as women, are you not also disgusted? Both of these women have been totally dissected by the media in a manner that was totally off limits for the men. Questions about their loyalty to their families were rampant. They were condemned for the perceived 'sins' of their families. Their accomplishments were continually minimized. As women, why do we allow this? Why is this acceptable?

Is it the side of us that just wants to bring peace to every situation so we just 'overlook' the treatment for the sake of harmony? After all, it's much more pleasant to live in harmony than to live in constant strife.

Or are we just exhausted over the rampant sexism so we just lift our heads and trudge on hoping that it will soon end?

Now, as much as I love a good political discussion, the rules of this post are simple: no mention of any politcal party.

Kay
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: bepart

Is it the side of us that just wants to bring peace to every situation so we just 'overlook' the treatment for the sake of harmony? After all, it's much more pleasant to live in harmony than to live in constant strife.

Or are we just exhausted over the rampant sexism so we just lift our heads and trudge on hoping that it will soon end?

Peace and harmony are a choice. Constant strife is a choice. But of the three responses to sexism that you listed - to be "disgusted," to "overlook" and to "trudge" there is a fourth. To rise above other peoples opinions, and follow the beat of your own drummer. Just as Hillary and Sarah have done in regards to sexism. Almost everyone has an "ism" imposed on them by somebody else. There are as many "isms" as their are human features. Not allowing somebody else's opinions of you to to define you, liberates you to move calmly toward whatever you feel is right.

If your focus remains on what is "right" and "good," you will feel right and good. If you focus on what is "wrong" and "bad," you will feel wrong and bad. It may not seem so, but there is always a choice.

Shay

T
Shark
Shark
T
I find it troublesome that women who have worked their way up should be (first of) questioned on HOW they worked their way up. Second of all, when they are in positions of power, they are judged in their roles, either as mother, wife, or just plain woman. Women are damned if we do, damned if we don't... and not just by men either, but by sister women (which I find particularly sad). Instead of focusing on what they want to achieve or have achieved, the focus is on their clothes, their hair, their accessories, their spouse, their children, etc. I find it offensive to be told that you cannot be pretty and stylish and be in a position of power. I can understand the concern in other countries where women are treated differently, but in the US we are supposed to treat them equally and that has yet to truly happen. Just look at wages that women earn compared to men. They STILL aren't equal. Look at the justice system when it comes to battered and raped women. It protects the men, not the women. Will sexism soon end? Probably not. Not until we have more women in power who can change things.

Michelle

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.