Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Quote:
"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And it's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

I know I'm going to get ripped to shreads for this, but here's my take on this comment. First of all, I would have to concede that it is a poorly worded statement. It comes off more like an insult than insight, but what I believe Obama was trying to express with this comment was that, in small towns where the economy is tough, people tend to hold onto ideas/philosophies that don't offer them much help to better their situation. When your most pressing concern is how to feed your family, are gun control and religious affiliations of the candidates really something you should be focusing on? When corporate America closes down factories in our heartland because there is no governmental regulation in place giving them incentives to do business here at home, forcing millions of "working class Americans" out of work, causing people to lose their homes, food and gas prices rising, interest rates plummeting - when all of this is going on, should we really be worried about guns/abortion/illegal immigration?
And don't think for a single second that Democrats are the only ones who realize this. Republicans realize it, and take full advantage of it to futher their own cause. "I'm just like you. I believe in the same God, go to the same church. I hunt. I'm all for gun rights and damn those illegals who are taking your jobs!" Meanwhile, they are distracting people from the real issues, but when someone points it out, they are labeled as "elitist", "un-American" or unsympathetic to the plight of the common man. Now, as I stated above, the comment was poorly worded and if it's true that he thought his mic was supposed to be off, probably taken way out of context, however, my point still stands.

Last edited by Froggy_Moo; 10/29/08 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
W
Shark
Shark
W
I promise I won't rip you to shreds Froggy_Moo smile

I just want to point out that this was a statement that he did not expect to get out. This was said at a private gathering amongst friends and supportors. This is was a glimpse into mind of the man behind the politician.

I don't know why we need to clairify what he said. We seem to do that every time a politician steps in it. "Well, what they meant by 'Bitter Americans clinging to their guns and religion' was that the Americans are bitter about the economy and they cope with it by hunting and through prayer.'"

Why? Why not take the statement for what it is. I lived in Central Illinois most of my life. My family is from and lives in Chicago. It is very common, when I go to visit, to hear from them and their friends that they think of anybody south of Chicago as redknecks. Just a bunch of stupid farmers. I obviously resent these remarks as I am from south of Chicago, but it is not an uncommon thought process from people in the city of Chicago. I say this because Obama is my Senator and is from Chicago. People seem to forget this when they focus on his divinity.

It is more than likely that he shares these views that small town people are stupid religious nuts with guns.

Why is that so hard to figure out? This man has been saying who he is and what he really believes for years now.

-whoisjohngalt

Elephant
Elephant
I will attest to that. I grew up on the south side as well and totally had these thoughts until I moved to west central IL and live in one of those small towns. My town is only 3400 people and the nearest city is Macomb with only 24K and Western Illinois University.

I now am one of those small town hicks with a gun ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
J
J
Well, hello, I'm new. I didn't know it was a PA comment. I just 'searched' rural.

But I heard it again recently even if it is old. And at first, being small town, since 1965, by choice, I initially, took offense. Then the more I thought about it I decided maybe he was right. Why not? We have no power anywhere else so maybe we do tend to run to ammo and faith.

It doesn't even take long for our reps to abandon ship. Our's has built a huge new home.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
jennn, welcome to the forum, we hope that you enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Rosie, i love that you are now of the Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity. I do believe you are the first to reach this level. Weee!

D
D
Quote:

�The middle working class who will be suffering when the layoffs start happening. I bet anything that you will see more working middle class fall to poverty and government dependence under Obama due to his tax increases than you will see living the American dream, building businesses, and paying off debts. The cards are stacked against us under an Obama plan.�

?

Aren�t we already going through most of these things (layoffs, unemployment,�)? Take a look around millions of people are already out of work, and even more are losing their houses.

Another thing, we might all consider taking every politician like a grain of salt. Unless the walls can talk you will never really know how each of them feels about different situations.

Its sort of like what a friend of mines once said, �Every guy is gay until proven straight." Let�s just say every politician is a liar until proven honest or every criminal is guilty until proven innocent. I guess you can see I disagreed with my friend. I for one am glad this is not how things work here and I pray you do not read too much into what I've said.

Last edited by Des28; 12/26/08 12:20 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.