logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Newbies, welcome to the forum, hope that yous enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Hi Wanda,
Oh, light green sounds lovely for a spring shawl. It's also a cheerful color to be working with over the drab winter months.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
What is the percentage of angora in the blend? Angora tends to halo very rapidly with handling and use so it's usually best to hold off wet finishing until the project is completed because once haloed, it can be difficult to rip back to correct errors if you're knitting and, if you're weaving, darned near impossible to unweave. After the project is finished and washed, more halo may be raised (if desired) by brushing the fabric. Brushing by hand must be done under tension and I recommend using a natural bristle hair brush and gentle strokes. Once brushed, the fabric can not be unbrushed.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
E
E
Well, it did sound lovely and may happen some day. However, as you know with my daughter being engaged it means I should probably keep the yarn white now and add some gold beading and make it a present to her for her wedding. Life just keeps on changing. Now to find a pattern.

I do love winter, but it does get long.
Wanda

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
That would be an heirloom for sure!

Llyn - Spinning Editor
D
D
Just peeping in for a second to say "hi"

I am a very new spinner - only 2 mos and on a spindle! But I have taken to it like a duck to water. I am eager to refine my craft and hope to make the purchase of a spinning wheel within the next 6 mos

Currently I am spinning BFL about 14 WPI, singles. I really want to make lighter so that I will still yield 14 WPI after plys - I am not interested in anything heavier than Sport weight.

This Virtual Guild is very exciting for me... I live overseas - FPO AE - and we have no guilds or groups to speak of - So YAY! Llyn!

Thanks so much

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
With drop spindles, the lighter weight spindle will give you finer yarns smile Small support spindles are also good for fine yarns. The larger support spindles are better for thicker yarns.

A good source for excellent spindles in different weights is Journey Wheel. BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Llyn - Spinning Editor
N
N
I've got one more bobbin of Cormo to spin before I can ply the yarn for my Moebius Scarf. The Cormo really does have a lovely hand. I'm anxious to see the finished yarn.

I've also come up with another idea for a wrap (not that I'll get it done, but who knows). Have any of you ever made EZ's Hooded Aran Coat in her book Knitting Around? I'm beginning my calculations for the amount of yarn I need to spin and have made the calculations for the size I need. I've also decided to choose my own Aran designs for my hooded coat, but I would sure appreciate hearing from more experienced knitters than me, words of wisdom before starting this project. I'll have about 60 oz of wool to wash and spin first so I have time to hear from you if you can offer any tips.

N
N
Hi Llyn
<snip>..."but remember that handspun is often denser than it's commercial equivalent and that yardage is the most important factor. The best thing to do is to spin a sample skein, wet finish it, measure the yardage, measure the yardage and use the sample skein for figuring your total fiber needs."

I never remember the part about weighing the yarn first then make a sample and then weight the yarn again to see how much I used. OR am I suppose to tink the sample and measure the yarn I use in the sample. How do you figure out the yards used in the sample??

Nikki

Nikki

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.