logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
OP Offline
F
Even with the most reliable computer hardware and software, there is always the possibility of something going wrong. The most common causes of data loss include:

1. Human error � accidental file deletion, over-writing of files etc.
2. Hardware failure - Disks that are used constantly, or have not been
properly maintained may suffer from mechanical failure, over time heavy
file-loading or new software can cause the system to shutdown or reboot,
alternatively automatic file updates can cause a system to reboot when
files are still open and in use.
3. Software corruption can also corrupt data files to make them inaccessible
4. Virus attacks - every day new viruses are released into the open, and anti-
virus companies release updates to combat the problem. Virus attacks
have been steadily on the increase causing business data to be ever
more vulnerable.
5. Natural disasters � even with robust hardware, software and virus
protection, the threat from fire and flood remains.

The best defense is data backup. Backing up data is vital for businesses; lost information can cause a major crisis or worse, lead to business failure. Individuals who don't backup computer data run the same risk. While this may not cause financial ruin, it can certainly be frustrating and even heartbreaking. So why do so few of us practice data backup?

Here are the common excuses:

"I'm too busy to backup my computer." We are busy work, family and friends fill our days and leave us little time for boring things like computer maintenance. But today's backup software manufacturers make it easy. Through scheduled backups your system can automatically perform a backup that fits your needs at an interval you choose�without interrupting life.

"I don't know how to backup data." Like preparing for a natural disaster, most of us understand how important data backup is, but don't know where to start. A big step is deciding how you are going to store the data you backup.

"My computer won't crash." You've had your computer this long and haven't had problems so far why worry about computer backup now? Think about it you wear your seat belt even though you don't expect your car to crash everyday. Data backup is about protecting your data's future, but with computers, it isn't if you crash, it's when you crash.
In today's high-tech world of sneaky spyware and venomous viruses, you are in more danger of data loss than ever before. Computer viruses grew by as much as 11% during 2007 alone.

It's like exercising. Or flossing. You know you should do it, but you put it off. A recent Harris Interactive poll found that 35 percent of consumers neglect to make backup copies of digital content stored on their computers, even though 50 percent have lost important data in the past.

Last edited by BellaOnline; 11/10/08 12:45 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
flaviuss, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
J
Koala
Koala
J
I learned my lesson about backing up my computer. My computer crashed on New Years day with about 3 years worth of photos I didn't want to lose. My husband managed to recover my hard drive but it wasn't easy.

now I send all my photos to my Costco account for one thing. They will stay there forever, I guess in case I need them. Also, I got an external hard drive to back up at least monthly.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely want to suggest to EVERYONE that they mark their calendar for a once-a-month must-do backup. I'm sure every one of us knows of someone who lost a ton of really important data. Backing up is VERY easy to do, and it only takes a few minutes to set up your computer to do it automatically. It can save you a world of grief.

Post here if you don't back up monthly and we will help you get started!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
Okay, I'll go first. I haven't backed up in ages. It really needs to be automated for me. The ex used to run backups on both our PC's automatically. I've only backed up my docs since then.

So. . . what do I do?

Gotta go help w/cranky baby tonight--be back tomorrow)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
If you have a Vista system, you're very lucky! Backing up is built into Vista and is fairly straightforward. Here is how to back up your important documents and files on a Vista system.

First, go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Backup Status and Configuration. That is where the backup program lives.

Click on the "Set up automatic file backup" link in the center of the window.

You'll be asked where to save your backup file. If at ALL possible, save it to a drive DIFFERENT than the one you are backing up files from. That is, if your files are on your C drive, do not save the backup file on C. Otherwise if your C drive crashes, you will lose both the original data and the backup file. I highly recommend buying an inexpensive external drive that you just plug into a USB port. You can even get one of those mini-plug-in-drives (the ones the size of a nail clipper) if you're just backing up a directory or two of important files.

Now you tell the system what to back up. In my case I tell it ONLY to back up my email and documents. These are the things that I would be traumatized by losing. I can manually back up my music files once a year, for example, and it's not a big deal if I lose some of those. If I had my mail file crash and lost all my mail, that would be heart-stopping for me.

Next you set the schedule. I highly recommend weekly. I set mine for Sundays at 10am, because by then I am asleep. Make sure of course your system is TURNED ON when you have your backup running! smile

That's it! The backup will run for its "first time" now to give you an initial starting point. Then, going forward, it will run every week on your schedule with no other thought or action required.

Give it a try and let us know how it works!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Windows XP has a nicely integrated backup program which makes it easy to back up your files once a week, without any work at all!

First, go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Backup. That is where the backup program lives.

Leave the program in Wizard mode and hit NEXT.

You want to do back up files and settings.

Choose the "let me choose" option. You can actually pick and choose individual directories and files to back up. The aim here is not to back up everything - just choose your individual documents you care about, and your mail file. On my system I store all my personal documents and files in a LISADATA directory to keep them organized. I definitely recommend doing something like that on your system, with subdirectories in there if necessary. That way you can back up that one area and know you've gotten everything important.

Now you have to choose where to save this backup information. Make sure you store it on a DIFFERENT drive. That is, if you are backing up data from your C drive, do not put the backup file onto the C drive. Otherwise if your C drive crashes you lose both your original data and your backup file too. It's very cheap to buy a plug-in external drive to use for backups.

Move on to the final screen. Go into Advanced. First, tell it this is a normal backup. Next, have it do a verify so that you can be sure the backup worked properly. Choose to append to the existing one - that way you don't lose the previous backup.

Then you can say "later". This lets you set a schedule of daily, weekly, monthly at a certain time. I highly recommend at LEAST weekly backups if not daily backups. With weekly, the most you can lose at any time is a full week's worth of work. That is certainly going to be stressful enough!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We don't have a Mac to test this, but here is what the Apple site says about backing up your Mac -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Hi! I followed the directions for Windows XP and didn't find Backup in the System Tools folder. I tried to just copy "My Documents" to my external drive but that only created a shortcut. Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks!
Leah

Live Abundantly!
Leah R. Patterson
The Wellness Site MOVE Makeup
Visit my Personal Blog
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Leah - the first thing to do is to make sure you have your Windows XP fully updated. If you go into Start - All Programs, up at the very top of the list should be a "Windows Update" link. Make sure you're all updated.

Then once you've done that, go into Start - control panel, and into the add/remove programs area. There should be an option there to work with Windows components. Make sure the backup component is checked (it probably isn't). You might poke around in there and see what else you want to enable, there are lots of nifty Windows components that are very useful. That will then get backup running on your system!

In terms of copying the file, when you drag and drop an item, hold down the CONTROL button while you're doing it. That will force the item to copy.

Good luck!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.