logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Y
Y
YEs lisa i was going to suggest this ..I have a yahoo, a hotmail, and a gmail account important documents i mail to myself and place them in folders in the seperate emails according to biz personal ect one account for each ..smiles of course pics you can scan and send to yourself too but after a while can use a lot of mail allowence if not unlimited another note on this is that outlook express unless it is set a certain way DOES NOT SAVE MAIL in the event of a crash so use yahoo gmail hotmail ect ..smiles

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Originally Posted By: yoakum
FROM what i have read my windows XP home edition DOES not have the capabilities to back up so that is why i have lost everything several times when something gets corrupted i do a recovery from disc that i purchased from HP and start all over I upgraded my pc memory myself but i have yet to understand backing up stuff to an external harddrive??

Yoakum - whatever you were reading was wrong smile The XP install discs definitely DO have backup software on them. The question is whether you chose to install that option or not. If you chose not to install it for whatever reason, simply stick those discs back into your computer and choose to install that option!

Backing up to an external hard drive is VERY easy. Heck, you can do it manually if you want. Let's start with that. What drive letter is your external hard drive?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yoakum - I would definitely save your mail messages as backups but I'd never rely on external mail programs like Yahoo for saving your important documents. Yahoo is notorious for being broken into all the time. I wouldn't trust anything important in a free package like that. I'd suggest deleting those mail messages quickly and writing those files to a DVD, that is at home, safe and permanent.

If you've never written a DVD let us know and we'll help out with it.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
J
J
They will stay there forever, I guess in case I need them. Also, I got an external hard drive to back up at least monthly. [url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Last edited by johnbear; 08/25/09 03:05 AM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I bought my computer used and unfortunately do not have the disks to add the backup utility of XP for my laptop =(

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I copy My Documents and the files on my desktop to an external hard drive. I wish I could figure out an easy way to schedule this and copy only the updated and new files. As a result I do a complete copy of these files and then delete an older back up. Do you have any recommendations on how to do this better? Unfortunately, I don't do it as often as I should.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.