Next Thread
Print Thread
#449761 09/04/08 03:10 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
My youngest (5 in Kindergarten) got in trouble for talking today - which is not unusual, he's gotten in trouble for talking everyday since school started, LOL!

But he told me it was during a "lock down drill".

Apparently because of all the school shootings around the country over the past few years, the schools here are now doing lock down drills in addition to fire and tornado drills.

Last year they just had the teachers do them before school started, for fear of terrifying the students; but it was decided that the kids did need to know what to do in case a gunman ever entered the school - so now we have these drills.

This makes me incredibly sad.

I tried to explain to my son why it was so important that he stay quiet during this drill, but it was so hard finding the words. What do I tell a 5 yr old? "Sweetie, you have to be real quiet because you don't want the crazy man with the gun to hear you and know you are in the room - because then he might come and kill you." There is just no way to convey THAT without scaring the child half to death, and ensuring that he will not sleep for a month. Much less ever want to go to school again!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Oh, geez.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I completely agree that this has gotten out of hand. Lock-downs are scary even for teachers. My best friend teaches math in a HS and during a lock-down she began having panic attacks becuase she was visualizing everything that could happen.

How much scarier for a child!

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Lock Down drills are scary but they are also unfortunately necessary.

Pretty soon the drills will be common place in the minds of children as fire drills are.

I remember when I was in Kindergarten through the third grade, we had air raid drills at my school and this was near the end of the Vietnam Travesty. The alarms would go off and we had to go to the gym and get under desks that were set up there and cover our heads as well. That was a pretty scary time, not knowing if a plane was going to fly overhead and drop a bomb on us.

Eventually we will see more armed security guards and police patrols at the schools and that will be scary as well but also necessary.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Yeah... I taught high school and the drills were really disturbing. Especially since I taught and live in an area of NJ that lost a LOT of people in 9/11.

Heather DeGeorge
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
At my school we have drills all the time, even in the winter(BURRRRRRRR) Lock downs we just sit in the corner, but once we actually had a nude person in the hallways!!!!!CREEPY!!!!!!! Its not really scary, it was hard to stay quiet when i was younger, but now that im 14 its even HARDER! LOL!!!! People with gun s are possible in my school. We have like eight fire drills every school year and like 2 lock down drills. but we get to cut some classes so its all good to me! LOL! Darci :)

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Oh yeah we have a cop in our school, hes arrested students before. Oh yeah once my best friends boyfriend had a knife, like a knife he left in his pocket from hunting and the school flipped, the cop got all in his face. Soon schools will have to check every student for knifes,guns,and drugs. We had a eigth grader(in my grade last year) and a sixth grader doi8ng pot in the school bathroom!!!!!! We are a small school, but still things happen! Darci :)

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.