logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Tofu is a product that I've worked with for years. I've innovated and substituted a lot of things using tofu as far back as 1989 & 1990 and have taught many folks how to use it so that it doesn't always look and taste like scrambled egg whites.

So my question is: Do you have any questions about tofu and how to use it? confused

Let me know!

Talk back!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I use it in a lot of recipes where you cannot detect its presence... but I cannot "fry" it for the life of me.
I love fried tofu in Chinese restaurants... any suggestions?

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi Lisa,

I don't know if you've read the latest article [click here] yet, but in this particular one I go over some fundamentals in working with tofu.

Now as far as you deep frying dilemma...

What's your desired outcome? Your answer will give me a better foundation to answer your question more thoroughly.

On the 'just in case' that you're looking for the texturous tofu that has the semi crisp and extra chewy outsides and fried egg inside, here're some of the things that you might need to consider.

Although I'm not sure if you're going about it this way or not [so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know], but when frying tofu if that puffy meat-like texture is what you're looking for you'll need a deep fryer and/or enough hot oil to submerge the tofu in.

The rapid heat and fact that it is oil that's your medium will basically sear, cross link the tofu proteins and dry it out from the outside in imparting that beautiful chew.

Depending on the type of tofu you use will determine how it responds to the oil and how long its response time is. The softer and more water content contained in the tofu, the longer it will take to reach the desired consistency.

So you might not either:
  • be using enough oil
  • have the oil hot enough
  • be leaving the tofu in long enough according to its consistency and moisture content

Let me know if I'm on the right track and I'll add some more tips and ideas for you to get the texture you want.

B
Shark
Shark
B
Thank you so much for asking. There is definatly not enough info out there.

So far the only way I use tofu is to use soya sauce on it and cook it in the oven. I also buy the soya chunks and just add tomato sauce. I use the firm tofu.

What i'd like to know is some ways to make it flavorful and used as a main meal that is low-carb. Or even side meals...i use the baked tofu in salad etc.

suggestions??

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Anastasia,

You've come to the right forum. Tofu has so many things you can do with it that are simple and will definitely take that block of blandness and transform it into a masterpiece.

Did you read my latest article How To Work with Tofu like a Master? I discuss three areas, tips and techniques that you must pay attention to to make your tofu stand out from the crowd.

Take a look at it and let me know if that information helps you. If it doesn't or if it does and you want me to break things down a lot more let me know some of the specific things you like to explore.

meatloaves
meat sauces
burger patties
puddings
omelettes

let me know.

B
Shark
Shark
B
yes it was great! i wasn't aware of seasoning often...hmmm maybe thats why mine tasted like cardboard with ketchup...

Would love more info on making a meatloaf with tofu, different seasonings to use, i take it even if you use herbs you need some sort of liquid to carry it?

oh and the omlettes and burger patties..

Wow you can definitely write a few articles just on tofu recipes and seasonings alone!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Thanks, Jason.

Yes, I read your article on Mastering Tofu, and I definitely learned some things - freezing it, thinking about what the end goal is, etc.

I guess my goal with the fried tofu is not only the frying but the sauce. You know - a good Chinese restaurant dish (which is probably not very healthy but quite tasty nonetheless).

You really give it all to your forum and your site - thanks for your work.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hey Lisa,

I don't know if you got a chance to read the "Shortcuts : ...Tofu" article but it gives more techniques that can transform your and the ones you cook for's experience. Check it out and let me know if it helps.

And don't hesitate to ask more questions. I think I'll have to write some more articles on it.

This comment is to everyone who visits the Vegetarian Site.

The only thing is I'm not sure if setting up the foundation the way that I am is boring you guys or are you okay with it and finding it effective and helpful. confused

I just created a poll for you to give me your feedback and comments, when you fill this out I'll get a better idea of what works for you and how to make the experience better for you. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.