logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
As an educator, the one main thing that has always bothered me is the amount of children in a public school class. This can range anywhere from 20 to over 40.

Adminstrators have always "talked" about how it is essential to stop overcrowding yet, for over twenty-five years, the problem has remained the same.

No wonder charter schools and academies are becoming the school of choice for many families.

Last edited by kristen houghton; 07/09/08 12:38 PM.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I think a huge problem is the fact that the schools are run by educators... and an entire district has ONE business person--who is managed by an educator. The financial waste is ASTOUNDING. I worked in an affluent district--the kind of school that teachers dream of teaching in: school-supplied laptops for the teachers with home/remote access to all of our applications for grading, attendance, mail... wireless connectivity on the entire campus and a laptop cart for every 3-4 classrooms.

Still, I taught one of my computer classes in an old book closet that I had to share with that floor's only photocopier and no windows with inadequate cooling for 24 computers. Two of the computers didn't work and they loaded the class with 26 students. How does that happen?

And yet, if you are anything other than a lifetime educator, you are shunned from being involved because "you don't understand".

Actually folks, YOU don't understand.

Heather DeGeorge
Koala
Koala
The problem with class size, as a singular factor, is the research. Class size and its effect on students have been researched repeatedly. Smith and Glass�s meta-analysis (1980) gives evidence that class size effects vary with students' age. And others studies indicate that class size effects vary with subject matter�even within a discipline (McConnell & Sosin, 1984; Raimondo et al., 1990). Still others have indicated that class size has an isignificant impact on student success, if compared with other factors (levelling, academic supports, the presence of an aide, etc.).

In a troubled school with many troublesome factors, if all is done to "improve student success" is shrink the classroom, the outcome is negligible.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
All of those studies were performed before the prevalence of special needs seen in today's classrooms. If I taught 240 kids in a year then easily 80 of them had IEP accommodations.

In that case, class size matters.

And regardless, if I only have 24 computers for a computer class and I have more than 24 kids--I promise you it matters in terms of what those extra kids aren't learning.

Heather DeGeorge
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Small schools are the way to go if you dont want oversized classes. Last year i was in eigth grade and i was in advanced classes, and the class size was 10 students including me. The other classes were about 14- 16. In the high school, where im going this year, has about 20-25 kids because of failing kids. My class size(All kids in my grade) is about 60. The highest class size (All kids in grade) was about 120. Not very many. We Have a lot of smart people and you get help if you need it and learn a lot more. And get threw more material! Darci :) Oxford Class of 2013

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.