Next Thread
Print Thread
#423074 06/02/08 03:12 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Is Cycling even possible to start for an obese person?

My knees have gotten very bad, and the stationary bike bores me to tears - I think a real bike might be worth it.

Byt I haven't been on one since I was a teen, and then I'm large so don't know if one would even support me.

Help?

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I know several obese bikers and they definitely make bikes that can hold the weight. It definitely is good to get out on a real bike because you can bike with friends, enjoy nature and you have encouragement to get out and do it!

They even have bikes with step-over frames so that they are easy to get on.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
K
K
Hi Michelle!

Yes certainly anyone can start off cycling no matter if they are obese or not, it's for everyone! smile It's good to hear you've been making a start on a stationary bike, (even though it can be boring! wink ) that'll help your body to establish itself to the different way of moving, the pedalling motion, etc. You mention your knees are pretty bad, has the pedalling on your stationary bike been causing you any problems there?

I also think Lisa's comment is spot on. It'll definitely be great for you to get out and about on a bicycle, for one thing it'll be alot more fun than riding a stationary bike, and if you can go out with friends and relatives especially early on as you get back into riding, will build up your confidence greatly! smile

Have you sought advice from a local bicycle shop about finding a bike that is right for you? A top priority is that you can find a bike that you feel safe and comfortable on and so first try out your local bike shop as they are the best people to help assist you in finding a bike you'll love, and you'll be able to try them all out. They'll know the capacity their bicycles can take so you'll be in safe hands.

Also there are purpose built bicycles for more capacity such as those demanded by body builders who need a stronger bike, so there are certainly stronger bicycles available. Plus take a look at this website supersizedcycles.com for more information. Hope this helps, and I do hope you'll get back into cycling soon Michelle, do let us know how you're getting on! smile

Kaye Barnett, Photography Editor
Photography Site ~ Photography Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.