Next Thread
Print Thread
#443744 08/13/08 04:29 PM
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
What do you think about the incarcerated being involved in creativity programs such as art, theater, dance, writing and film?

Should they make money on art they produce in prison?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Why not? Creativity reduces stress, of which there must be plenty in prison, it can give a person a positive outlet for expression and fosters achieving worthwhile goals. All are good things that can turn a person's view of life around.
If the art sells, the artist should benefit from it. Other prison work gets paid, why not art?

Claybird #443994 08/14/08 09:31 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I agree with letting them express themselves through art. It can be extremely therapeutic!

However, criminals owe a debt to society, and often to individuals specifically. So any profit made from these art pieces ought to go to paying off that debt, or to helping to maintain the prison system and give the law-abding citizens a break on their taxes.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
After visiting with the Administrator of the Prison Creative Arts Project at the University of Michigan I had a totally different assessment of what creative arts programs do for the incarcerated. They don't shorten one's sentence or make that individual feel any less guilty for the crimes they committed. But the program brings back the human experience of art and artistic expression to an otherwise oppressed society of men of women in a captured setting. The arts brought into the prison system introduces freedom of expression despite the lack of freedom behind the bars that hold them during their time of incarceration. They are still being rehabilitated and serving their time to the community they hurt, but they are still human beings that deserve compassion.

When I attended the 2007 Michigan Exhibit in Ann Arbor Michigan, I was touched in many ways as the words spoke through the canvases, but I was equally horrified in some cases by a few excruciatingly painful paintings that portrayed human carnage and despair. Most of the exhibit portrayed hopes and dreams, though some revealed the darker side of what I would suspect as pent up rage. Some were down right disturbing. But all, everyone of the paintings and drawings, were incredible works of prisoners that told a story. That's what was important. I've never painted under severe distress or under an imprisoned circumstance. I cannot fathom the nature to which the prisoners produced their works. That production process in itself is a story to be told and has been on PBS specials. Check out Prison Creative Arts Project's main website and delve deeper to discover more about this interesting topic.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 08/19/08 03:26 PM.
C
C
"I received the piece a couple of days ago in the mail. I am fully satisfied with the artwork. It arrived in perfectly good condition in the mail. Wow, it was nicer than what I saw on the website........amazing. Thank you and the Artist."
------------------------
Suhail

[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

chillu #446535 08/22/08 09:16 PM
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
The actual "Prison Creative Arts Project" article URL is...
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art58201.asp

The search engines unfortunately are not picking up the complete URL and are only taking readers to the front "main" page of bellaonline. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you have stumbled on this forum via a web search and haven't read the article, please click on the above URL to read the full article. Thank you.

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 08/22/08 09:17 PM.
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I hate it. Prisons should be to be punished not have fun and make money. If they cannot receive the treatment they gave to their victims then at least they should work to deserve the roof, bed, water, food, clothes, bedding and everything else they have!

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.