Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#438920 07/28/08 11:24 AM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Do you or someone you know have Celiac Disease? How long did you suffer with it before it was diagnosed? How difficult was the diagnosis? Share your stories here!

For information on Celiac Disease, please see my latest article:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease last October. I thought I just had IBS. I had a colonoscopy done to have my whole system looked at. I have a family history of colon cancer and non-cancerous polyps. The villi in my intestines doesn't lay completely flat but flat enough to be diagnosed. I had always had intestinal problems and just said I have a nervous stomach. But the pain kept getting worse and worse over time. I hadn't worked in 4 years so I was home and never noticed how many times I actually went to the bathroom everyday to have a bowel movement. I started a job at the beginning of last year that was an office job. I started noticing how often I was literally running to the bathroom and I finally decided to go to the doctor. I intended to only go for the pain and constant potty trips. I am glad I went. I now have medication to help with the pain and the IBS symptoms I get.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Thank you for sharing your story, Jeanette. It sounds like you have been suffering for a long time.

Does your doctor have you on a gluten free diet? Once wheat, rye and barley are removed from your diet, your celiac will disappear... smile

Shay

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes I am supposed to eat a gluten free diet. I feel better and better all the time.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
It's so great you are feeling better all the time! Do you find it difficult to stay "gluten free?"

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes actually I do LOL I am diabetic too so it even further limits myself on what I can and can't eat! I am pretty much pain free if I stay on a gluten free menu plan but sometimes, especially eating out or at someone's house, it is difficult. I have lots of out to eat lunches at work because I am in a new department and everyone wants to treat us to lunch or we treat people to lunch. My doctor prescribed Levsin for my pain and to slow my digestive track down. I keep it in my purse at all times just in case. Did you know Donatos Pizza has a gluten free option?? I noticed it today when I went there to get a salad. The gluten free cereals and other items seem so darn expensive! I have basically become vegetarian and eating chicken mostly. I am finding red meats are hurting my stomach too.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I know what you mean about trying to stay completely away from gluten. It's everywhere! I also avoid night shades, eggs, and anything too herby or vinegary. When I eat at a friends house, they all know, and bend over backwards to be accommodating, but I always feel so badly that I'm putting them through the trouble. Sometimes I bring my own food, so they won't need to worry about it. I don't have celiac myself, but my acupuncturist feels that anyone with stomach problems should steer clear of gluten products. I find there are really good rice pastas available, but how right you are about the cost. It really can be expensive to eat right!

We don't have Donatos Pizza here in Vermont that I know of, but how great you have that as an option! Perhaps you could get coworkers to go there when there is a lunch planned! smile

Shay

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hi, Shay! My son has celiac. There are so many good mail-order sources on the web now for gluten free. Also awesome cookbooks. When Jeff was diagnosed 16 years ago, it was a lot harder. Reading labels on everything in the grocery became a habit for me. The tiniest additive can be suspect. It was easier for me to go natural all the way. Meaning, cooking fresh rather than packaged and becoming a regular at the health food store. We're lucky to have some good ones here in the Nashville area.

It's also interesting to note that autistic kids benefit greatly from a gluten-free diet. Jeff has Down system and is on the autistic spectrum. There's so much research now on the web concerning autism and gluten. Interesting, yes?

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Hi Bettyann! It's nice to see you here, though I'm sorry about your son's celiac. But on the up side, I'm so glad that you have been able to keep things natural and gluten free.

Yes, that is very interesting about gluten and autism. I got to see Jenny McCarthy (sp?) on the Oprah show a while back and she spoke at length about gluten and dairy in particular. Both tend to be problems with the GI tract as well. Thank you for bringing that up! Keep up the good work...

Shay

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
My mother just found out she has celiac - and she has been type 2 diabetic for over 15 years now.

She had been extremely sick for the past 5-6 months. She actually started getting really ill when the big scare about tomatoes started, and that is what all the doctors thought it was, food poisoning from tomatoes.

But she was on 4 different (and strengthening) antibiotics and nothing was happening. Then they started doing tons of tests. She found out she is lactose intolerant (she loves milk) and then they finally found the celiac.

She called me in absolute tears. I was shocked.

They were ruling out things like cancer, so when she said celiac i was like "good - this is something we can manage". She is hysterical, however. All she keeps talking about is what she cannot eat. (no wheat, no sugar, no milk) because of the celiac, diabetes, and lactose problems.

My answer to her is - let's eat natural for at least 2 weeks. Fresh fruit, veggies, meat. She can have rice. Water to drink. i think if I can get her to eat for just two weeks this way, with no preservatives, she is going to feel so much better, she won't freak out so much.

I know she is giving up a lot, but compared to cancer - I can't help but think this is good news.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.