Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
W
Carolyn-The brewing industry has some wonderful women in the field. Great role models. From your bio, you are also a beer judge. You must know a friend of mine, Teri Fahrendorf, formerly from Steelhead, also a judge.

What interests and qualities make becoming a brewmaster attractive?

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi Denise -

Yes, of COURSE I know Teri! Teri and I judged at the Great American Beer Festival this past October, 2007. As you must know, most of the judges are men, but there are growing ranks among women, and we are passionate about beer.

Teri is a great role model. She is Founder of the Pink Boots Society, a professional's guild of women in the beer and brewing industry. The Pink Boots Society had their first meeting on 19 April, 2008 at Gordon Biersch in San Diego, during the Craft Brewers Conference. 22 women attended the meeting, including Head Brewmaster of Bend Brewing Company in Bend, Oregon, Tonya Cornett - the first woman to be awarded the Brewers Association World Beer Cup 2008 Champion Brewery in the Small Brewpub Category:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Carolyn, Beer & Brewing Editor
The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

W
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
W
I'm not a brewmaster so I'm not really a good spokesperson for your question. But it would be interesting to hear about women homebrewers too. I've known lots of men doing that but personally not women.

The ability to be creative (experimenting with new brews) and get recognized for it are a couple reasons. I would think enjoying cooking is right on too. Ask Teri about her bread baking recipes. Using yeast falls in line with brewing.

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
btw, Denise, you specifically used the term "brewmaster" in your original post. This is a hotly debated term to begin with. A "brewer" is not of the same status as "head brewer," and "head brewer" does not hold the same status as "Brewmaster."

Most brewers agree that the term "Brewmaster" or "Master Brewer" requires formal education at VLB, Heriot Watt, Weihestephan, or another renowned brewing school. They also agree that the designation should not be used without years of experience to back it up.

Some brewing facilities use "Brewmaster" for the highest position in the brewery - and that entails choosing and/or formulating the recipes that will be used, choosing and ordering ingredients, scheduling what beer styles to make and when they will be brewed, selecting equipment (and parts) and keeping it in good working order, keeping the brewhouse clean and free of contamination, etc. Teri Fahrendorf is a superior example of one who has achieved this.

In many facilities in Germany, there can be several Brewmasters, and they are ranked: 1st Brewmaster, 2nd Brewmaster, etc. These may require (in addition to formal education)apprenticeships to be served for a number of years.

Some believe the term is not "deserved" until you have 7-10 years experience; others use it for PR purposes, because that is what tourists like to hear.

Back to the original question about interests and qualities of a woman brewmaster:

Yes, cooking is perhaps #1.
Ability to make decisions.
Ability to accept responsibility for occasional failures that are bound to occur in the course of brewing.
An analytical mind.
Interest in chemistry and physics.
Strength and persistence.
Artistry.
An open mind to new ingredients and processes.
Thirst for research.
Attention to sensory perception.

Hmmm....okay, ladies, what have I missed? I need some help here!

Carolyn, Beer & Brewing Editor
The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

T
T
I recently was in Bend and learned about, Tonya, the female brewer at Bend Brewing Company. So cool! Here is an article I found that includes this brewery.. http://www.52perfectdays.com/articles/bends-beer Bend Beer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.