Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
salento Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi

I joined the forum today and thought I would post.

I, like many other people, am worried about the state of the world and fear a recession. But I am trying to find the silver lining and am wondering if maybe a period of frugality and simple living could be good for our society and our selves.

Warm greetings to all from Italy

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
It's unfortunate but a global recession would hit the poorest people the hardest and for some that might even mean starving to death. As far as what I see in America, I think many would benefit from a period of simpler living and living within their means-not charging on credit cards or buying what they can't afford.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Oh, the thought of a world-wide recession is pretty scary!

I think one of the biggest problems here in the US is that people rely too much on their cars. Too many people commute... too many people choose to live in homes that are outside of their community.

Where I live, we are pretty far from even a grocery store, so riding a bike is out of the question. I've been thinking a lot lately about how nice it would be to get back into a community where we could ride bikes to the stores... my hubby could ride a bike to work. Right now, I just cut back on driving - but that means being stuck at home most of the time (which, honestly, is kind of nice LOL).

I think another benefit is that people are having to simplify, and I'm noticing that in my community more people are now willing to support local farmers. Lots of us go to farmer's markets now as opposed to buying from the big grocery stores.

I wonder if cities like New York are being as affected? Most people there are already used to using public transportation, and so many walk where ever they go???

I don't know about other countries. It seems like countries in Europe made the adjustment a while ago - since gas prices there were over $4.00 many years ago.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I've lived in 2 countries in Europe but it was quite a few years ago. I know when I lived there tho, public transportation was plentiful and most people lived very close to where they worked and spent their time.

I'd love to be able to do that! Actually where we live, I am within a 5 minute drive to most stores and I work at home. The traffic is so bad tho we couldn't ride a bike and I've never seen many people doing it.

I think you're right that there seems to be more interest in farmer's markets, food coops and buying local. I've been doing all that for at least 3 years and really recommend our organic food coop to everybody I meet.

Moderated by  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.