Print Thread
#432130 07/02/08 10:42 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I've been facing this a lot this week.

A big reason people become addicts of one sort or another is because they self medicate to cope with things that are too stressful for them to face.

Some become alcoholics
Some become addicted to cocaine
Some become addicted to cigarettes
Me - I use food.

Mine is not illegal, and it doesn't "impair" me the way thast alcohol or even cicarettes sometimes can. But it is becoming just as destructive.

I had a gastric bypass about 2 and a half years ago - binging is a big no-no for me. But I'm still doing it. And I'm binging on all the foods that are taboo for me (because what good would it do me to beinge on carrot sticks?)

I eat into oblivion, I eat to escape. Half the time I wind up throwing up - and then I just eat some more.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist today, because I can't handle the stress I'm under. but I thought I would post this in case someone else is doing the same thing and just never realized it.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Michelle thanks SO much for sharing this! You know I think I do a version of this myself. I eat despite knowing that the thing I'm eating is going to cause me to be even sicker. It's a crazy cycle but sometimes I just can't seem to stop myself.

I'm glad you are seeking help and your courage is encouraging me to do the same.

Many thanks!

Leah

Live Abundantly!
Leah R. Patterson
The Wellness Site MOVE Makeup
Visit my Personal Blog
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Michelle, thanks.

I'd like to throw in a "me too." I have an addictive personality, I guess. I also stress myself out on top of a stressful job.

I've made great strides, but I still have a long way to go.

Good luck to you!

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: TrishInNC
I also stress myself out on top of a stressful job.

I know there was another thread that touched on this somewhere, but I'm not sure where...

But stress itself can become addictive, too. The adrenaline rush and endorphin release that happens when you push yourself to the edge with a project can be similar to the "runner's high" that marathon runners get. PLUS, if you do a good job on a project, you get the accolations of coworkers, and possible a boss. Pretty heady stuff.

So it is tempting to stay in those stressful situations because the gains seem so great. But the toll that it is taking on you mentally and physically in the meantime is quite high.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor

Moderated by  Leah - BellaWellness Host 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.