logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#317541 05/26/07 10:02 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Usually at large department stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal Mart, K Mart etc you will find a rack of plants that aren't quite making it.

Or perhaps you 'rescued' it from a friend/co-worker/family/previous resident.

What's the best plant you've ever gotten as a rescue? Tell us about it, what was wrong, what you did, how is it doing now?

Personally I saved a button fern off a truck from a wholesaler. It had been forgotten in the back of the truck in a corner, so it badly needed water and had been sitting next to the door of the refridgerated part of the door so it was cold damaged too. He was just going to throw it away, so I asked him if I could have it and he said he didn't see why not.

I took it home and soaked it in some room temperature water overnight and then drained it. By then what was salvagable had come back (kinda) and I clipped anything else that looked as it was on its last legs. Having been in the dark of the truck for so long I put it in a shady corner and gradually moved it into my kitchen window where it is now threatening a hostile takeover. wink

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Click here to read the story of our foster dog, Colbert.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
C
I was looking thru' back posts and couldn't resist this one.

I've 'saved' a number of plants, and probably lost just as many that were doomed to begin with. Most I picked up a Lowe's on sale. Each has it's own charms and is special to me in some way.

I think my personal favorite is the Arrowhead plant I was given at the college bookstore.....I asked if I could have a small cutting and was given the whole plant because it wasn't doing well. I took it home and repotted it...and discovered that it was 20 rooted cuttings inhte same pot to make it look thicker. I separated it into 3 pots, watered well for a while, and finally took one pot back to the woman who had given me the original plant. smile

A few months from now, when it's grown enough for me to figure out what it is, I may tell you what kind of plant it was that I picked up for 10 cents at Lowe's because it's leaves all died off leaving just a stub. After repotting and a month of good light and mild fertilizing, it has a couple small green leaves unfurling. Could be a Philo...

CountryKitty #429530 06/23/08 03:34 PM
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
My favorite save was a "dead" Boston Fern in a hanging planter. I think it was $1, and since the planter was worth more than that I bought it for the pot. But just to make sure, I watered the poor relic and before long new shoots emerged. It florished and became so big that I had to divide it and now both ferns have been filling the big kitchen window with graceful green fronds for many years.

Claybird #429556 06/23/08 04:26 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
I was in some shop that had recently had a grand opening and then had not watered a single plant that they had received from whomever it is that sends plants to such things...I got two large peace lilies(one pink and one white) in lovely baskets//

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
Dorothy Parker

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.