Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Maybe Extreme Dysthemia.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
There are other types as well. That's why serotonin re-uptake inhibitors work for some, but not all. Tricyclic antidepressants treat some other forms. And Prozac is neither, a class all by itself. So that's why what works for one person ,ay not work for another and treatment can be trial and error.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hi everyone.

First - I want to say that the backlash to this book is probably due to a couple of factors including that she has received a lot of exposure for this book (such as an Oprah appearance). And people don't know what could possibly be wrong with you if you have made it on Oprah! There's some envy there too. And secondly, because there is still a lot of confusion out there about depression as you all have stated in this thread.

You can have a bout of clinical depression brought on by a stressor such as a death in the family etc. Which people either fall deep into, they self-medicate, or they seek treatment. For those that seek treatment or find a solution on their own - they usually recover. And that's that. People in the family will talk about it "remember when Lisa was depressed"...

But then you can suffer from long-term mild to moderate depression all your life. And people often mistake this as "Oh lisa is a negative person. Oh, she is a downer. Oh, Lisa is very introverted and keeps to herself. Oh, Lisa is a drunk or a drug addict. Etc."

The confusion occurs that for most people "depression" means the first scenario. Something bad happens. Someone gets down about it and doesn't have the "strength" to get themselves out of it. So they are depressed. And that's why you get a lot of the "just get over it" or "my life is much worse".

On top of that -- the media has been a big part of making this worse. How many times has Oprah (whom I love by the way:) featured someone's remarkable life story and insinuated that we have absolutely nothing to whine or be down about. That message has made a lot of truly clinically depressed people feel guilty about their depression and NOT seek treatment, and it has made a lot of uninformed people just cheer even louder that people who claim to be depressed need to "just get over it". When really they are simply ignorant or uninformed about the fact that depression is a mental disorder that manifests itself psychologically and physically -- and does not just go away. Like most medical conditions - it must be treated - with either talk therapy, medication, and/or a combination of other holistic solutions such as exercise, herbs, hobbies, pets, etc.

The solution -- education.
The book -- it was a good read.

Lisa Angelettie MSW
BellaOnline Depression Editor
Are You Depressed?

L
L
Hi,I started reading it and then had to return it back. I REALLY loved her brutal honesty and that fact that no women are perfect!!I was on depression med and have been off it since Feb,---too expensive and not by my choice either!!! Now, All you people just made me relize I need to go get a copy of that book and re-read it all over again. I still have some very dark days, mostly -PMS related.
liz ras
MN

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hi Lisa,

I have'nt read that book yet but I think helthy nutrients food can help to reduce depression. beside that People's daily routine is also the reason behind depression. if a person take healty nutrients diet he or she can reduce his or her depression problem.

I will definately read this book.

D
D
I am new to this site. I am depressed and I experience alot of the "well, just cheer up", stuff from the few people that do still email or call me. I never have visitors but I've come to accept that I am alone in this journey and I'm actually DEPRESSED,and not just crazy.
I am going to get this book you're referring to. I've not read it or ever heard of it.
When I do venture out of my apartment I will go to the library. I still have to shop for myself(grocery) so I do go out every now and then. I pretty much just watch TV, do computer stuff, read and chain smoke. I have insomnia too, so I go outside at night to experience just being out of my apartment. I like to walk among the trees and stuff. Yes, I am weird, I guess.
I like your site and I will be back.

inod10, welcome to the forum, I also suffer from depression, some time i find it so frustrating when people say i should do this or i should do that . I know they mean well. But people suffer from different levels of depression. Every one gets depressed now and then. I am bipolar and my depression can last any where from 3 to 6 months at a time!
At times i fell like I've been depressed for ever.
I wish i could get out of my house, i wish i do do "normal" things.
I am on medication and have been on many different ones since 1974.
I can relate to many of the things you are saying.
Are you in counseling, its important to have some one to talk to.
I wish you muck luck in getting help for your depression. Coming here and sharing your problem is a start. every one here is nice and no one judges anyone.

Rosie L
D
D
Hi Rosie,
Thanks for the reply. I don't get counseling but I have made an attempt to get it. I had an appointment on Monday that I've had for 6 months but I was unable to get my self up and out to get to it. I have been in a bad way for awhile. I had a little upset that put me in bed. I always have trouble during the holidays but I had an aunt come from California that I had talked to on the phone for months about her visit, how much fun it would be and I was really looking forward to it. However, she only stayed with me three of the ten days she planned to. The day after she got here she wanted to go shopping. I had really tried to get up everyday prior to her visit so that I could be more mobile and ready to go out and about with her. We'd talked about going to the movies and out to eat and then just hanging around the house so I thought I could do that. But shopping ........I'm not really good in crowds and hustle and bustle, ya know? Anyway......I Drove(which causes me to be very anxious), and after parking I said, 'I'm not to sure I can do this"..... My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty, I was just freaking, ya know? She said to me, "Just take a deep breath and do it, quite being silly. Just get yourself together and do it, that's all you have to do". When I think about it now I am still at a loss for words......'get over myself', 'just do it'. Our shopping trip was cut short after I told her I needed to go to wait for her in the car. She was so [censored] but I was freaking out. I was just in a panic and trying my best not to make a scene.The people were starting to rush by me and my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going to pass out. The minute I got out of the store, which I ended up running out of, I began to feel better. She paid for her stuff and came out. I was glad she took her time because it gave me time to collect myself as well as I could. She ended up going to my cousins for Thanksgiving and not calling to invite me. She called me yesterday to say goodbye and explained that she didn't call to invite me for Thanksgiving because she 'figured I couldn't stand all the people'. She said her goodbye and did ask if I was feeling better, and I replied, oh yes much better as I swallowed the lump in my throat and held back the tears I was about to release. I wanted to scream and yell at her but I couldn't, all I could do was wimp out. I guess I just can't,'just get myself together'. I need to quit ranting about it and let it go, which is why I decided to send this email. I thought it might make me feel better. Sorry about all the rantng........I feel so ridiculous even whining about it but she really hurt my feelings and it was such a shock, her reaction I mean. I thought she would be more .......I don't know , just nicer I guess. Today is my first day out of bed and I am feeling better. I wish I could have made the doctors appointment I missed. I can't even go out to get my mail so far so, I will just have to see what tomorrow brings. Thanks for listening.

M
M
I know what you mean. Humor can take your mind off your problems long enough for the medication to kick in. please share your succss story on humor
helping cure depression.
-------------------------
Misbah

Last edited by BellaOnline; 01/30/09 06:30 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rayna - Depression Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.