Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mindy - Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
Someone posed this question to me. If there are those who are sitting on the fence, who are unsure where they stand on gay rights or gay marriage, what message are we sending with gay pride. I am unsure about what pride is nationwide but the prides here locally involve men dressed up as nuns with nipple clips, or men chained by there "packages" and dragged around on leashes. I do support whatever lifestyle LGBT enjoy, and I do know that pride is one of the few opportunties to be fully open, but is that really the message we want those fence sitters to get?

Perhaps they don't realize that LGBT memebers are just people, and while the term lifestyle is used often, being gay is not a lifestyle to me. My lifestyle is the same as everyone else. I eat, grocery shop, work, go to class, go on dates that involve dinner and a movie, and desire nothing more than love and a life partner. I think pride allows people to confuse the issue of lifestyle, the person who asked me about this actually thought that is how many of us lived our lives. I personally don't own nimple clamps - perhaps I'm alone in this :P

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
My nephew goes to the parade in Boston every year with his boyfriend. He gets upset because he feels many of the marchers are giving out a wrong impression of what its all about ( i agree) The same thing you are mentioning Mindy. some time you have to ask wheres the pride. and i speak of this as a gay woman.

Rosie L
M
MFL Offline
M
You know the gay and lesbian community is made up of a wide variety of people. Some are more flamboyant than others

I know that some GLBT would like to paint a squeaky clean, well dressed, quite and sober image for the world

It is when we do this that we lose the battle

They, this great they that are sitting on the fence, will have to learn to accept us as we are warts and all

M
Mindy - Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
This is how I see it. I feel like we put a spotlight on one kind of GLBT with pride, a very "out there" kind. That isn't how we all exist, and I do agree that we need to be fully excepted even in our various ...we'll say unique styles. But in reality this isn't how the majority of GLBT memebers exist.

So while I would never encourage changing anyone I still don't see pride as being representative of the truth. I feel there is a need for some other rally of the other side. Pointing out that beyond the semi outragous and outwardly gay people we are also your neighbors, your doctors, your friends. We are also just people. I feel we should also represent how the majority of us exist in every day life.

I just feel we are allowing them to put a microscope on to one side of our story, and they are purposely picking the side they least agree with.

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.