logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
A
Jill,
I have seen your avatar/picture before on other posts (miscarriages) and remember thinking wow that woman looks so happy and free. I was surprised to see that you mentioned struggling with depression. I guess when we see other people, we have no idea what they are going through internally. Keep smiling!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
Right exactly, Ms. D. Some of the reviewers on Amazon were saying in essence "Hey my life is worse than yours, and *I* am not depressed, so you should not be. Buck up and stop being depressed!" They say it as if people choose to be depressed and can just miraculously choose to be happy and therefore be happy.

I am really tempted to post a comment like that on their anti-depression review - and maybe I should. It is dangerous for people who feel that "depression is fixed by a smile" not to at least be alerted to the fact that depression is a medical issue. If they manage to talk a depressed friend out of taking their medication, for example, the results could be catastrophic.

Even after being in the hospital for my depression, some of my family members still don't believe in it as a disease. It's all just a state of mind, and they think I should get off all these scary medications that I don't really need and are goin to fry my liver one day.

And you must undestand one of the biggest proponents of this mindset is my chainsm0king gtandmother who has had 4 bypass surgeries, a stroke, and lost her brother to suicide by hanging himself. But, no, depression isn't real.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Right now, I'm frantically worried that walking in to the Mental Health ward at the hospital and asking for help is going to cost me my job.

I have a TS clearance, and just did a periodic review. The investigator made a BIG deal about taking Zoloft, because we can't have anyone with mental health issues looking at sensitive info, y'know.

What was really happening was that my natural anxiety/low self-esteem was being horribly exacerbated by a serious substance abuse problem. IMO, the alcoholism (which never got me in trouble of any sort) was much more dangerous to "national security" than leveling out my brain chemistry with 10mg/day of Zoloft.

I'm dry and clean now for over six months, and have finally managed to convince the docs that I don't need to be on *any* drugs. I still get low points, but dammed if I will ever go back to Mental Health; my job is too high a price to pay.

edited for clarity

Last edited by TrishInNC; 06/16/08 06:54 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Depression is not the same thing as psychosis!

That is like telling someone with high blood pressure not to go get medicine because having high BP is a physical risk due to the PT regimen - so then they have a heart attack. When if they had been on meds for the BP, it would have helped.

Same thing as for depression. Getting help for it in the early stages is a good thing, before somebody gets so far down they are contemplating suicide.

Of course the military has never been known for its logical decisions. (Ex husband was in the army, I've seen some of those decisions firdst hand)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
They should really re-name Depression b/c it's a misnomer. It's not about the blues or being sad about something. Arg. I have had to educate all my friends and family about this. hearing "just get over it," gets me steamed in a way nothing else will. It's like, if i had a broken leg, people wouldn't say to me, "just walk on it."

Arg. Arg. Arg.

Angel that was very kind of you to say. In nature I always feel happy. In my avatar i am backpacking in the grand canyon. My original form of self-medicating. smile

Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm a firm believer in "better living thru chemistry". I have been on Wellbutrin since 9-15-01 and due to family issues and perimenopause I have started taking generic ativan(an anti-anxiety med)with GREAT success...

The number of DRUNK and/or STONED people I have known who advise others about prescribed medications are legion. If "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, Thinking happy thoughts, Whistling a happy tune or Getting over it" works so well what is all the imbibing and smoking about? The only thing worse than that are people who tell you to "face your fears head on" or "You'll get passed them with time"...well, I do not have that much time.

I do not know one single breathing soul who deserves to stand looking into that black pit of despair(I sincerely hope you do NOT know the one I mean)thinking their only choice is to jump... Get the help you need and then do NOT share your choice with the doubters; just tell them,
"I am feeling better, thank you."
It IS YOUR Life NOT their's nor is it their choice...

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
Dorothy Parker
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Trish - that is so sad that you have to choose between your health and your job. You would think they would *want* you as stable / calm as possible, whatever it took. It really makes no sense for them to say "Oh look she's handling the situation - this is bad".

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly - I think you're exactly right, and that Michelle really points out why. Too many think about depression and think about when they were sort of sad. I think if we called it something else more clinical (like a xxxxx chemical imbalance) that they'd realize it was an actual physical problem that can be fixed and can't just be ignored.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Even anxiety disorders get more respect!

We should all just come up with a name for it - something that sounds serious enough for people to not dismiss us.

Something like Serotonin Disorder. I don't know.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Is it always about serotonin? Or are there other types?

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rayna - Depression Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.