OP Offline
S
COPING with CHRONIC ILLNESS
FAMILY
FRIENDS
FAITH
FORGET

F A M I L Y
� Acknowledge our feelings, not only to yourself, but to others.
� Recognize that being upset about having a chronic illness is normal.
� Take time to ventilate these feelings and help those around you who care to understand what your feelings are and how they fluctuate.
� Start with your family members early on.
� Maintain intimacy with your spouse.
� Remember, family members are also affected by a chronic illness within the family unit.
� They can help if they are aware of the impact the illness is having on you, and can't help if you don't lean on them a bit.
� Family members are often called upon to assist in the patient�s daily living activities, such as administering medications, applying support devices, assisting in transportation or even simply providing company and being there for you during the bad times.
� They can best help if they understand how you are affected by the condition.
� Additionally, you will need to understand how your family members feel about your condition and how it is affecting them.
F R I E N D S
� Enjoy our friends above all!
� That�s what they�re for in part, as are we.
� They also can come in very handy as a source of moral support during difficult periods.
� Sometimes, it can be very refreshing to review your home situation with an outsider in whom you can confide rather than a closer family member.
� Support comes in all kinds of packages and you never know who�s going to appreciate our condition.
� Friends too, can occasionally be called upon to be caregivers and help in many other ways.
� Make new friends and consider interactive support groups.
� These can be found online and in your community.
� Access to further information and tips can come from national organizations, such as the Lupus Foundation of America (LFA), BC Lupus Society or Lupus Canada.
� These groups have their primary goal, to help people like us.
F A I T H
� This tip means different things for different people.
� Search your own faith amd feelings for inspiration and direction.
� Reflect on who you are.
� Look to the leaders of your community for guidance and support as they have experience in relating to many people with chronic diseases and in offering helpful consolation.
� Also, consider looking into what opportunities might exist within your local community for group support,
in order to both give and take in local support groups.
� Sometimes, these activities can open the doors to completely new ways to look at yourself and your situation and provide outlets otherwise unknown.
F O R G E T T I N G !
� Learn all you feel you need to know about your condition.
� Hear what your healthcare professionals are saying and don't forget any of it but don't rehash it all the time with yourself or your family members; no one else will forget your illness; although it will help you if you do forget, while having fun out socializing, shopping, dining or just playing.
� Become familiar with your medication requirements, the monitoring needs of your illness and medications, and warning signs and triggers of problems.
� Then, take regular time away from your illness mentally speaking, and emphasize the capabilities that you do have while spending time having fun, however you define it, all the while in 'forget mode'.
� As much as you can, attempt to live as if you don't have an illness;
not forgetting nor denying, but just not dwelling.
� Eating a balanced diet and taking time to relax can rejuvenate you, giving energy otherwise unfound.
� Do something special (or a number of somethings) regularly for yourself.
� This might be exercising, yoga, reading, helping at a community group, going out for lunch and a matinee once a month or even watching leaves fall from a tree.
� Reserve time for yourself and use it in a positive and special way.
� You will be in optimal condition to face the challenges of your illness if you've refreshed yourself.
� Developing a positive attitude does help you to motivate yourself.
� Again, a positive attitude does not mean denying or even forgetting that you have a chronic illness.
� It simply means not focusing on the negative aspects of your illness all of the time and learning to minimize and not constantly emphasizing the bothersome features of your disease.
� If coping still remains too difficult, then you should perhaps let your doctor know your feelings.
� There are many options that are available to you that you can access through the assistance of your doctor or caregiver in the line of counselling, anti depressant meds and support groups..

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
This is great advice. Thank you as a chronic pain sufferer myself, these things on this list are tantamount to one getting the best of quality of their lives.Thank you Stacierae

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
S
OP Offline
S
Glad you enjoyed it Mary, keep fighting the "good fight" and have a great weekend! Stacie

Shark
Shark
Stacie,

I'm in fact soon to publish a new article about the fact that thyroid patients are sometimes seen as complainers by family & friends who are not aware of how much of a struggle the symptoms can cause in their lives.
I'll have thaone up soon and in it, I also mention the fact that I've literally seen the testimonials of thyroid patients, whose marriages crumbled due to their illness. It is very sad when a spouse or family member fails to exercise compassion and understanding toward their loved ones with chronic disease.

Jim Lowrance
Thyroid Health

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.