Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
I don't know if these are the official terms, but there's classic BRT, and modified BRT. Many Graves patients I know who find their symptoms recurring when trying to go off ATDs, yet find that they're going hypo even on minimal doses of ATDs find success with the latter, that is, staying on a low dose of ATDs with a modest dose of thyroid replacement.

It would be great if docs would try it, combo and hyper patients. The problem is that ATDs have a very undeservedly bad rep in the US.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
matclan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Excuse my ignorance...I have never been given any medication for my thyroid or have they been discussed...what are anti-thyroid drugs?
I woke up this morning wishing it had been a week so I can get my results. I don't want my thyroid doing anymore damage to my nerves..very sick of those symptoms.

Sue

F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
Anti thyroid drugs are given to hyper patients to suppress thyroid function. The opposite number of thyroid replacement, sort of.

M
matclan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Jim,

I hope you get this cause it's been awhile. I got back my tests results and my doc said they are normal and I think they are. They have been pretty consistent. My T3 Total is 98. My T-4, Free is 1.0. My TSH, 3rd generation is 1.21. That is all she took. Should other tests been done?
I'm really worried about the neuropathies. I have the tingling in the hands and feet and sometimes all over. I feel like it is from not taking care of my thyroid for 2 years. That is when these neuropathies showed up....after the thyroid healed itself but left me with antibodies that proved I have Hashi's. I'm still on no medication cause my thyroid is being nice....so the docs say. I'm still worried I might have something like MS, even though the tests came back clear-MRI's that is. It makes sense that my thyroid is to blame for the peripheral neuropathy cause I was dealing with my fluctuating thyroid for years with no medication. I'm rambling on. Just alittle tired of the neuropathies today. Any more tests I should do for the thyroid? Thanks Sue

Shark
Shark
Sue,

I can understand your concerns about MS however, there are a couple of things I can relate that might offer some comfort. First, many of the medical articles out there that associate neuropathies to thyroid patients, attribute the symptoms to the "thyroid autoimmunity" rather than to the abnormal thyroid hormone levels. Both of course can contribute to symptoms of all kinds but with thyroid autoimminuty (elevated antibodies to the thyroid), symptoms can potentially continue even after abnormal hormone levels are corrected. Hashimoto's encephalopathy for example is a severe disorder caused by thyroid antibodies and not abnormal hormone levels and presents with severe neuro-symptoms.
Here's a research article quote about neuropathy symptoms still experienced in "treated" hypothyroid patients:

"Conclusions: Some patients treated for hypothyroidism have symptoms and findings compatible with small-fiber neuropathy or "hyperphenomena" indicating central sensitization."

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Jim Lowrance
Thyroid Health
M
matclan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Jim,

Thank you so much. It really makes sense that it is due to my thyroid because it came on after the second year it went out of whack. My endo is checking my blood every 3 months. At this point she doesn't want to medicate so I guess I wait it out. I'm trying a new supplement for the PN. It's B1, but benton something. I ordered it and will give it a go. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again Sue

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.