Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#424879 06/09/08 05:03 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Just think quickly, no political thoughts. Which box would you check?

Obama
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/09/08 05:03 PM

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This came from this interesting article -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
I have 4 Biracial children, their father is African American, im white. So often their referred as half black or half white. when my daughter was younger and filling out an application it asked her race. she checked both, black n white ;o)

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Good for her! That is so cool smile I think people should get pie charts with crayons smile

I can understand in schools for example that they want to know if kids are "black" or "latino" to make sure the teachers are teaching everyone fairly. They want to make sure if 100% of "whites" graduate and 10% of "blacks" graduate that they make an effort to figure out why, to help everybody graduate. But it is all so hard to quantify. I mean, it might actually be that 100% of "two parent happy family kids" graduate and that 10% of "single parent working two jobs" kids graduate, but how do you ask questions like that? What if it's not the skin color but a happens-to-be-sort-of-related income level?

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I don't think of Obama as black myself - he seems interracial, as I voted in this poll. But it would be still be great if we elected someone who is considered black/part black - it would show that we as a nation are *growing up*. That we don't get stuck on skin color. That people are all just people. smile

B
B

This is a funny poll question as it�s not something that is debatable. Barack Obama is of mixed race. Period.
Now, if I were referring to him and needed to reference his ethnicity, I would refer to him as a Black man.
As far as I�m concerned, if a person has an ounce of Black blood, they are Black in my eyes.

Visit me at Pleasure Island!
Pleasure Island
E
Koala
Koala
E
I don't know if it is because I am watching all these reports from outside the US, but the first time I actually thought of it was when one report said Obama could make history by being the first black president of the US. My initial reaction was "Huh? Oh!". Up until then I'd simply thought of him as an American. I was far more interested in the possibility of a woman becoming president.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Elephant
Elephant
Ethnicity, Race, etc are very subjective. The only that isn't subjective is nationality.

Obama refers to himself as a black man and therefore that is what he should be considered. Most opinions (while they may be wrong) are based on skin color and in his case he is predominately BLACK.

Myself, I am half Puerto Rican, the other half being european. I consider myself a white puerto rican. I check other on the race box. I would be considered the first latin person elected president because I am half other than white.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Right Elle that's sort of where I am with it. I don't think of him as black. I think of him as "him" which is some sort of mixed race person in my mind. I wouldn't think of him as a "black president".

Jase - see, that's so interesting. It's interesting to me that if you're half something it still seems to count as the "primary trait" in situations like that. Would someone who is 100% African American be upset that someone only partially African American was getting the title of "first"?

Low Carb Forum
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
He's both. A black man and biracial. My son is both. My son is very proud of himself as a black man and yet to look at him many people say "yeah right, you're white!" He doesn't have dark skin because his mother is caucasian. He also has straight hair. He is atypical in respects to what most people would look for in a black man. But every chance he gets, he says, "I'm black." He gets a lot of flack for it too. He equally has pride in being white.

I myself have a lot of American Indian as well as German bloodline. I just think we all are a mixture of all sorts of backgrounds and bloodlines and really it doesn't much matter because we're all just human beings in the end. We're all humans. So Obama is a human being over being biracial or black or anything else. Just human.
That's why I married who I did, because against my families wishes, I gave myself away at the church because I stood up for what I believed in, that we are all the same and race does not make us different unless we allow it to....we are the same.

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 06/12/08 11:33 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
Would someone who is 100% African American be upset that someone only partially African American was getting the title of "first"?

You would be hard pressed to find anyone who is �100% African American�. Miscegenation by slave masters took care of that.
It�s all about self-identification. I have much lighter skin than Barack Obama and my son has even fairer skin and blue eyes. But we self-identify as African Americans.
I don�t see the relevance in tracking down the once or two of non-black blood in my family tree.
But being that Barack Obama�s mother is white, I can see why he would identify as bi-racial.

Visit me at Pleasure Island!
Pleasure Island
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.