Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I
I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts about Friday's rise in the unemployment rate, the Friday plunge in the stock market and the US dollar, and the huge rise Friday in oil, natural gas, gold, and other commodities. Or just your thoughts in general on the US economy.

Tony Daltorio,Investing Editor
InvestingWebsite
Investing Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Well yesterday was a fantastic day in the stock market only to be followed by a outrageously low dow today. That seems to be the trend lately with the stock market...one good day followed by 7 or 8 bad. That seems to be a rocky way of increasing the value of retirement funds.

As for the price of oil, it's going to keep going up because there is less oil than there is demand. With the housing market taking a nose dive, unemployment rate increasing and food prices going up I think we are in a horrible recession NOW. I don't see recovery from it in the very near future. Maybe there is some hope if we get a democrat in office.

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 06/06/08 07:16 PM.
I
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I
I agree with pretty much everything you said. The only additional point I'd like to make is on your comment on the stock market. You said that it was the trend lately(up & down). Actually it has been the trend for the last decade. Check out my article on investing in overseas markets for some info on that. Investing some money overseas will do much more for people's retirement accounts that keeping everything here in the US.

InvestingWebsite
Investing Forum
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Thanks, Tony, I will check out your article. smile

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 06/07/08 06:24 PM.
Parakeet
Parakeet
There are too many problems in the economy for there to be a quick fix and the infusion of cash and a lower interest rate is a little too little too late.

1. Too many foreclosures
2. Credit is tight which results in less spending
3. Large Sectors of the Economy are tightening their belts
4. High fuel prices
5. Increase in transportation costs
6. High flour prices 400% increase
7. Higher corn prices
8. Increased unemployment
9. Depreciated dollar
10. Large Trade Deficit with China

To name 10 problems with the US economy. Some sectors are really well and offset what is wrong with the economy.

Last edited by Carennedy; 06/07/08 07:18 PM.
I
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I
You're right,there is no quick and easy fix. You hit the nail on the head with many of the problems you mentioned. One of my main themes is the depreciating dollar and the rising commodity prices-food,energy,etc.

InvestingWebsite
Investing Forum
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Tony - I read your article. It was very informative. Not to change the subject, but since you said not to keep everything here in the U.S., what percentage of one's portfolio do you usually recommend that people invest in the foreign market?

I
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I
Hi Deb,

It's really going to vary depending on a person's risk profile, age, etc. I'd say an absolute minimum of 20% in foreign securities. But I have seen people with up to 70% overseas.

But that 20% could include very conservative investments like foreign govt bonds similar to our Treasury bonds along with foreign stocks. And a person could play it safer and not buy individual stocks or bonds but a broad basket thru mutual funds or better yet ETFs.

I will be writing an article soon on the most successful large institutional investors in the world- the college endowment funds of Harvard and Yale. They have averaged over 20% returns each year for over 20 years. How have they done that? By having relatively small exposure to US stocks and large exposure to foreign stocks, commodities like oil,etc. and offbeat real estate like farmland and forest lands.

Last edited by BellaOnline; 03/26/11 11:55 PM.

InvestingWebsite
Investing Forum
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Thanks Tony. 20% is a figure that is much more liberal than I've worked with in the past. I've gone as high as 10%, but tend to be more conservative (5%). When you talk about the sinking U.S. dollar and the U.S. economy it only makes sense that if you want to increase your retirement fund you need to invest a greater portion of your portfolio in overseas stock. Fidelity Investment Mutual Funds are the primary point of interest right now. Fidelity Latin America stock is a good one as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for taking the time to respond with such an indepth response. I really appreciate it.

Oh, and although it's a late welcome, welcome to Bella Online as a new Editor as well.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Not that I like Wal Mart -- but as it is an anti cyclical stock and the latest reports are positive, above expectations, it may be wise to look at it.

Tony, I like India for foreign, what's your opinion on India and China as foreign holdings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sandra Investing/HFinance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.