Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#423755 06/05/08 10:45 AM
J
OP Offline
J
What is up with the people in the atheist section? Why do they constantly harp on just Christians and the Bible?

Seems to me like they are just angry people that do not have anything better to do then just throw stones at something that is threatening to them.

If they do not like Christians, fine, that is their choice, but, can't they find something else to b.... about? Why don't they just talk about their own beliefs and try to expound on that, why just harp on Christianity?

Give it a break people. This [censored] is getting old fast!

Use it or lose it is what I always say.

Jettagal
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Understand that I am a Chrstian, but I have several atheist friends...

People that are atheists are constantly trying to be converted to our faith (it's kind of pert of what we do).

But since Christianity is pretty much the only faith that is verbal about conversion - we are the only ones that get in their faces a lot, so those are the deabtes that they tend to build up the most.

I like going in there to debate, because it actually helpes strengthen my faith. It makes me really take a look at why I believe what I belive - plus I just think it is fun to debate.

But if it offends you, then just steer clear of that forum. We have plenty here where you can discuss with like-minded people. I know it's hard ignoring thast little box to the right, but just go check out Christian Living or Bible Basics and yoiu'll find some great folks.

BellaOnline just tries to offer something for everyone, it's a totally open board.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
J
OP Offline
J
I understand you offer something for everyone and that is very admirable. I just do not like to see my faith ridiculed so often. I will try to avoid these agravating posts I keep seeing, but they have so many of them it is hard to not see them.

Last edited by jettagal; 06/05/08 11:49 AM.

Jettagal
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Sorry its tough Jettagal, People are free to say their stuff as Michelle said.
Try to remember Jesus was ridiculed too, and he just loved those who did it because he understood why. smile

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Hello Jettagal! Glad that you are aboard!!!! Many of us have differing beliefs and today it is not easy for any of us to hold perfectly to them. I do not happen to be of the Christian faith but I certainly have nothing but respect for those that live it. I believe that love is the key to life. No one is putting you down here. Maybe you have something to teach us in a gentle way and we are open to listen. Maybe we can all learn some things. Blessings

#424325 06/06/08 11:24 PM
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Jettagal,

A lot of people, myself included, go in there when they see something interesting on the "Latest Messages" box and we go in to respond to the posts.

They don't like the fact that I wholeheartedly believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. I try to explain why I believe that (and have gone great lengths to try and prove it to them) and they get upset about that. Whether we are talking about Evolution vs. Creationism, The Bible, True or False, the Ark, etc...

It's because they are so set in their ways as we are and they take offense to us (Christians) going in there to speak our peace. Most think that we are trying to convert them. Well, that is part of the truth, but, most of the time we go in there for a debate. It is unfortunate that it can get frustrating at times and get ugly at times, but that's what happens in debates sometimes.

I have been ridiculed in there and called names but I do have friends in there and I don't let it get to me. Ww are, after all, invading "their turf" when we go in there and they get protective of it.

Please do not take anything that is said in there. Nothing is purposely posted to be rude, it's just that you have two different factions butting heads in there without any sign of either side giving in, there is bound to be an explosion of some sort, wouldn't you think?

Jetta, if you are comfortable with your faith as am I, then you have to rise above the mess. Just leave without adding fuel to fires because sometimes I am not smart enough to do that. I am very comfortable with who I am and where I am in my Faith that it cannot be traded, lost or even shaken. I do not take anything personally from anyone because I know that Jesus did die on the cross for my embarrassment, for my shame, my hurt and my anger. He took all of that away from me on the cross.

Prayerfully, the great Shepherd will gather His lost sheep before it's too late. He died for me. He died for you. Take that as personally as you would like. smile

Sorry for the rather lengthy post.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
J
OP Offline
J
I understand that a good healthy debate among friends can be fun and informative. But, they are not good and healthy for the most part, they are immature, rude, call God names, make jokes about God and the Bible and the Christian faith. That is not conducive to a good healthy debate, but is only spreading hate and hurting people. Now if they could just talk about their own beliefs or debate like mature, amiable people, then that would be entirely different.

Everyone has their right to choose their own belief and path and it is really a hateful thing to do when you ridicule someone else's beliefs and way of life. I do not so much as take it personally, as I am defending the Christian faith and people's rights to worship the way they choose without having people around who spread hate and criticism which can get them nowhere. They already have no God or higher power, why push themselves in to a place where they have no principles or morals?

Jettagal
Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm a Pagan with eclectic an belief system who respects all religions and spiritual beliefs. I have friends of all faiths and beliefs from Christian to Hindu, to Jewish. Living their beliefs is what impresses me and I take away all kinds of enlightening ideas, and sayings, from them.

Two that I particularly like are from a Christian friend and a Jewish rabbi.

Christian:
"It is wrong to be Christlike at the Communion rail and then leave the church ready to stab your neighbor in the back."

Jewish:
"Anyone can be holy in the Sanctuary; it is what you say and do outside the Sanctuary which proves your holiness."

BTW, I truly love Jesus. Sound strange? He accepted everyone.

Last edited by kristen houghton; 06/08/08 04:57 PM.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Jetta,

Just consider this practice for the real world.

At least here you never have to see the face of the person you are trying to talk to. In real life it can get even uglier.

And while some of the comments do seem demeaning, it just makes me want to go study that subject all the more. So the next timeI run into someone witht the same arguament, I'll have better knowledge under my belt, and can argue it on a more rational level (which is where they alwyas want to come from) as opposed to an all emotions level.

And there was a comment made on their board the other day that they seemed to be putting toomuch emphasis on Chrisitanity. So maybe things will die down. But if they don't, we are always here for you either here or in Christian Living!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Hello Jettagal, ! If you have a better way than others take our hands and take us with you!! None of us are so insecure that we are not willing to find greater heights of truths. Just be yourself. We are all listening and learning.

#424693 06/08/08 05:52 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Well, thank you for that comment, ancientflaxman. "A better way" is what Kristen said above: Jesus loves everyone. I am not saying I do not love the people in the aetheist forum, nor am I not accepting them as people. I have friends who are agnostic and aetheist and a few relatives who are aetheist, I accept them and love them for who they are. But then, they do not ridicule my beliefs or call my Lord names. And I do not need "practice for real world", I have been on this earth long enough to have all kinds of practice. I just find immature people who ridicule others to be quite annoying and rude.

Like I said, everyone has a right to choose their beliefs and rather than harping or ridiculing someone for their beliefs, it is much better to confirm your own belief by being accepting of others, don't you think? I could never find it in me to ridicule someone just because they believe different than I do. I can accept people of all faiths and beliefs, yet I find it difficult to accept rudeness, insecurity which causes revenge and criticism of others.

Last edited by jettagal; 06/08/08 05:54 PM.

Jettagal
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Who can argue with that???

#424966 06/09/08 08:33 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Jettagirl,

I always wonder exactly what people get out of criticising or cruelly mocking what others believe. You are so right-it is more difficult to accept rudeness than totally different beliefs, (or non beliefs).

Too much energy is wasted on silly things.

Be happy with your faith and love what you believe. I truly think that is what God wants.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
As an agnostic who saw that subject, and read the posts, I think that there is some misunderstanding. I have never bashed all Christians, although I am unable to "take it on faith" as they do -- but I do find some people who profess to be Christians, but then turn and do uncaring things to others (particularly if they are not of their brand of Christian or other religion) to be hypocritical. I have seen this, as well as Christians who think that atheists and agnostics have no morals or values -- which is dead wrong.

I was raised with good values, and that transcends religion. My mother is one of the nicest, most caring people you would want to know, was told by a born-again Christian that "You're more Christian than some Christians I know", yet she is agnostic. We behave in a nice way, because it is right, not because we fear punishment if we stray, nor because we hope for some eternal reward if we are good. The moral compass is internal.

I think, overall, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists tend to recoil from fundamentalism that is unthinking, and from extremism. It seems to me that extremists are at the root of a lot of the world's problems, and in the US, the bulk of the extremists (all that I've come across) have been Christian.

That said, I have met some people who value their religious beliefs, and are very accepting of my lack of religious beliefs. We don't have to believe the same things to have a good friendship. I can respect your belief, without agreeing with it.

Does that make sense?

J
OP Offline
J
I am not, nor did I intend to insinuate that all atheists and agnostics have no morals or values. If you read my post of 6/8, you will see that I have friends and relatives who are agnostic or aetheist and I love them for who they are because they do not criticize me for my beliefs - they are decent people with morals and acceptance of other people's right to choose. I agree with you that "I can respect your belief, without agreeing with it." However, the original point I was trying to make was not to try to get anyone to believe the way I do or to condemn ALL aethieists and agnostics nor to debate about whether ALL Christians are perfect or bad. This was not a debate of any kind and I will not get into similar debates that I have seen on that forum. Mature, amiable, intelligent debates, as I have noted earlier, can be healthy. My original intent was to express my feelings that the people in the aethiest/agnostic forum (and please, I am not saying ALL of them, only some of them) are very rude and critical and judgemental and sarcastic and seem to have nothing better to do than to "bash Christians" and make fun of my Heavenly Father and I highly resent this. You can debate on religions and faith and beliefs without being so rude and sarcastic.

Enought said on my part, I have stated my feelings and would also like to add that I am surprised that a site that seems to have so much to offer will condone such behaviour as I have seen in the aetheist/agnostic forum by a few people and the person in charge of the forum. I have read some of her articles and am thoroughly disgusted that she deems it necessary to "spread her poison" as she accuses Christians of doing in one of her articles.

Jettagal
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Jettagal,

They feel the same way when we go into their forum and start talking about God and our beliefs. To them it is poison that we are spreading. You cannot take it personally when they bash the Bible or make fun of God or your belief system. We are going into their atheist forum and talk about God and Jesus and how the Bible is the inerrant word of God so they get defensive.

They do not come into the Bible Basix or Christian Living forum and start spewing about atheism and evolution.

As I said in my previous post, I am one of the ones who have been called names and blasted by some in that forum and I do not take it personally at all. It is just them defending their "home"
from the "invaders" that is us, the Christians. Don't take it personally, Jettagal, shrug it off and go on. We know that God has a special plan for those who do not believe and for those who do not want to hear what we have to say and would rather shun us instead.

All you can do is pray for them like I have been and pray that they come to know Jesus before the Day of Judgment arrives.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
I fully support anyone who stands for their Christian faith in any setting. I firmly believe in Grace. In my opinion, Grace allows us as Christ followers to love everyone. Even those who attack what our hearts tell us is the truth.

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
Gecko
Gecko
Vance and everyone,

You are absolutly right; atheists and agnostics have felt attacked forever. That is their forum and they feel free to defend it at all costs.

They don't come in here because I as the moderator of this forum will not allow the kind of inflamatory language in posts in this forum. I may not post alot but I am here everyday moderating the posts. Bella Online is a free form forum where everyone is allowed to express themselves, but I draw a line since a religious forum can be fuel for a fire just by being alive. I freely edit any post posted here. I think free expression can be done without having to attack anothers character or beliefs. I have been very lucky that you guys have always acted in a responsible, Christ-like manner.

Remember what I said about Grace and simply don't jump into the debate. I firmly believe God's Word speaks for itself... which is why it is controversial. We don't have to be right, we know that we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses that go before us proclaiming the truth to every heart. The Lord is the focus, not us. smile

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
C
C
I think the dilemna arises because atheists and agnostics board exists primarily to argue against any belief in God, as well as to frequently bash those that do believe, and the fact that it's on our money and...the list goes on. To label oneself as either of those two groups means time is spent getting up in arms over the issue of God. It's not all they are about, to be sure, but it is a large part of their persons.

and to add fodder to that you have folks from any one of the over 22,000 denominations that have come about as a result of the reformation. That means you have a whole lot of 'flavor' and POV's that run contrary to the athiest/agnostic board. They show up on the board complete with Bible to beat over folks heads, and all their versions of what the scriptures say and it's quite maddening.

If you look at the behavior of Christ himself He was not up in your face, he freely offered what people were free to accept or reject. He never told his apostles to 'force' everyone to believe, or demand it hatefully. This is not how the original Faith was taught, so it's no wonder it's freakishly annoying when you get folks trying to prosyletize everyone with a pulse.
It's not us as people that convict others of right belief, it is the Holy Spirit-and ain't a one of us the Holy Spirit. We are just supposed to be willing vessels to live out our faith in daily action in ways that demonstrate the love of Christ. After all, He never hit anyone over the head with the scriptures...

Orthodox homeschooling mom to 7, one with Rett Syndrome
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Hi, Jettegal, thought I'd jump in and remind you of something. The word of God is our sword and this is not only what we believe in but what we fight with. Keep in mind these scriptures: blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake...rejoice (Matt. 5:11-12) and "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world" (John 17:14).

We are believers of Christ and in being just that expect persecution, isolation, ridicule and hatred. Just be sure you're living as a Christian and not in vain. My message to the whole board is obey Acts 2:38. Jesus is coming for the true believers not just the ones that say they are Christians. You must live the life and walk the talk. God bless.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
I am not a Christian but please let me ask a question here! Is it not possible that when we stand in strong defence of our beliefs we have just shut the door. If you believe something with all of your heart keep the door open to others that are not of your understanding. Let them come through. Please understand that they are not where you are. I remember in the old days in church when there was an altar call the people that came forward were motivated by the Holy Spirit which is Love. They were drawn to it. If something has so deeply touched our lives maybe we could open up and tell that person who ridicules us about the security and love we have found in what we have discovered. Bless every one of you!!

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 07/10/08 07:23 PM.
#441438 08/06/08 10:48 AM
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but if you could explain in detail, I'd love to respond and know that God loves us all in spite of those that are not as responsive to loving others that differ in many ways. HOpe to hear from you soon.

#446446 08/22/08 12:35 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
I am not a Christian but please let me ask a question here! Is it not possible that when we stand in strong defence of our beliefs we have just shut the door. If you believe something with all of your heart keep the door open to others that are not of your understanding. Let them come through. Please understand that they are not where you are. I remember in the old days in church when there was an altar call the people that came forward were motivated by the Holy Spirit which is Love. They were drawn to it. If something has so deeply touched our lives maybe we could open up and tell that person who ridicules us about the security and love we have found in what we have discovered. Bless every one of you!!

Kindness and open arms does more than anger or criticism. Good thoughts, Ancientflaxman!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
#446480 08/22/08 03:08 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
I am not a Christian but please let me ask a question here! Is it not possible that when we stand in strong defence of our beliefs we have just shut the door.

I just saw this thread today and wanted to comment. As a Christian, I don't "stand in strong defense" of my beliefs. I express my beliefs on occasion when I feel led to. But more than that, as a follower of Christ, I believe it's more important to "model" the peace and joy I have in my life. Then someone may want to know how to get that, and I can tell them. If they don't want it, that's ok. If they do, I'll help them learn more. Absolutely nothing is accomplished with hatred or hostility. You catch more bees with honey, as the saying goes.

Standing in defense of my faith means, personally, to me, I don't compromise my moral values when it would be easier to do so. For instance, the Bible says the number one law for us, that we MUST uphold, is loving your neighbor as yourself. We can't compromise on that. Jesus didn't say it was a "suggestion," but law! He didn't say, only if your neighbor is a fellow Christian. When I don't follow that law, I've not stood in defense of my beliefs.

Regarding what was said about shutting "the door" when you stand for your beliefs, I don't agree with that. Not to say a lot of Christians don't do that, because they do. Also nonChristians do it too. But not every Christian does it. However, there are some things that are true, core values for me as a Christian, and that door is not open. It would be, to me, like closing the door on breathing. I have to breathe to stay alive, and I have to believe.

But I can "listen" to other viewpoints and not give up my faith. I have to do that a lot with my husband, who is a Christian but has different ideas on certain subjects.

Good thread. The world needs more dialog on this topic. Might mean less war.

B
B
I read most of the posts on this topic and I have to say...WOW! There are several different view points, but one thing that I didn't see was calling it like it is. When you face opposition that's called persicution (pardon my typing, I'm exhausted). God's word tells us about suffering for our belief. As Christians, we must look at it as just that...living for our beliefs. We can tell others about Jesus without being judgemental. We can show them in love. But know that, inspite of loving them, they may still rebuke Jesus, but you have planted the seed. That is our calling as those saved by grace through faith. We must believe God to accomplish the rest. In Christ love,

becca

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Gal. 5:6
C
C
Everything that the Lord gives us to plant the seeds, water the seeds, etc....all Spiritual gifts, talents, etc....all that He gives to us are to be used for HIM.

We shouldn't take things personally from those who don't believe. It's not about us....and is all about HIM. We have work to do, and that work is rooted in humility (being humble because Jesus was humble; and HE paid the price for our sins in order to save us from death).

We are not to judge the world; period. God does not need any help in that department. When we start judging the world (any unbelievers)....guess what that is....us trying to be HIM. We're supposed to be LIKE HIM, not BE HIM. We are not His "cops" to the world.

We are to spread the Good News. The Holy Spirit is the One who does the convicting in a sinner's heart....not us. Something is wrong when the world sees us as "pushers". (Remember, a pusher is only out for themselves).

I don't serve Him because I fear punishment....I serve Him because I am learning to love Him daily. The more He grows me & molds me into His likeness....the more I WANT TO do His work. He shows me so much love and gently kindness that all I want to do is give it back to Him.

We are all just "learning to love Him". Some are farther in their walk than others....but we're all learning what true Love really is.

B
B
Amen sister! God is glorified when we submit to His will and humble ourselves to His Authority. It's seems so easy to say, but at times so hard to live because of our human nature. Isn't it wonderful to have such a forgiving Father, who knows just what we need and can radically change us if only we learn to surrender completely to Him!

becca

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Hello everyone. Beccab, apparently you missed my two cents because that is exactly what I spoke about "persecution". I also would like to remind everyone that there is only one way to salvation and once you've obeyed God's word, then and only then will guidance through his word and the Holy Ghost teach the carnal mind to love, express love and represent Christ truly. It's impossible for a carnal, finite, corrupt nature like ours, to love as Christ speaks of, without the Holy Ghost.

We try as human beings to be nice, kind and some of us do it with the wrong motives but in turn, its still not according to what Jesus meant in his commandment. Its important that we read with understanding before we jump on the bandwagon of Christianity. Its more than saying you're a Christian. You must live the life as well.

Jesus never tore anyone down and neither should those of us who are striving to follow in his footsteps. Remember, many will be lost all due to unbelief (it says it in the bible - John 3:17-18), but just be sure that we that "are" Christians, are truly saints of God preparing for Jesus' coming. Tell those who will listen and continue to show love to those who will not. Every man will have to stand, whether he believes or not, in judgment.

Good comments everyone. Meanwhile, read Acts 2:38 and John 3:1-7. Good night.

A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
It makes me glad to know that you guys have found such peace in what you believe. That has power and it is the thing that changes lives!!!

#457425 10/07/08 03:01 AM
B
B
I'm not sure which 2 cents Kimmie is referring to, but I am a believer and have been since I was nine years old and prayed to God, admitting I was a sinner and asking Him to forgive me of my sins. I believe Jesus is the son of God, who came to Earth, lived a perfect life and sacrificed Himself in my place on the cross. He rose again on the third day and assended to heaven where He now sits at the right hand of God. "It is by grace through faith and that not of ourselves" that we are saved. The Holy Spirit now lives in my heart. I try to follow God's will for my life through prayer and the studying of His Word. Because of this satan attacks me and my faith is tested. This is where persecution comes in. But wouldn't you agree, the persecution we go through in this free country is nothing compared to other countries and NOTHING compared to what Jesus endured in His life and death. I'm sure you would agree. Being a Christian is an everyday, sometimes every hour recommitment to God. Salvation is once and forever. Christian...meaning Christ like is something we strive for and are honored to be labeled as such!

becca

H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
Perhaps it is because they are more familiar with Christianity than any other belief system.

As for me, I try to use the term "Theist" unless I am discussing something that directly relates to Christianity. After all, I am an A-theist.

"A question's richness can only be measured by the answers it evokes." ~ Me

"My atheism does not define me. I define my atheism." ~Me
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.