Next Thread
Print Thread
Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
In honor of Memorial Day here in the US I thought I would pose this question. What do you think of winning the fight with the Veteran's Administration to allow the pentacle on the list of the emblems of beliefs? What do you think of other symbols such as that of Druidry being added to that list?

Is this good for Paganism? A step in the right direction? Or just another drop in the pond for recognizing Paganism as a religious movement?

For those in other countries, do your Pagan soldiers have more or less of a struggle with their religion and the military?

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I believe whatever you want on your grave marker you should be allowed to have it. My hhusband is Druid and and a marine. He wants a Thors hammer or Tree of Life symbol on his. These men and women fought long, hard battles for our country, they bravely served even during non-war times, lets honor them how they would want it.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
My son was in the Gulf war. My heart goes out to every one of those kids fighting over there. I know what those families feel! I wish that those kids were all home!!! Now on to the other subject; Paganism is a religion just as old as any recorded or for that matter prerecorded religions. It has always been a most wonderful balance throughout the ages. Pagan, Druidic, and Celtic symbols should be as welcome as any others not just in the Military but in every part of our environment. Most of our modern day organized religions obtained their infastructure and symbolism from the more ancient ones. Countless people wear crosses, what about us? I myself wear a pentagram under my shirt. Any that do happen to see it by accident usually think that I follow the devil. Why don't these Rhode Scholars just do a little bit of homework!!!!!! Blessed Be

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 05/26/08 09:13 PM.
Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Ancientflaxman, that has got to be so annoying. I remember once many years ago a woman I worked with actually pulled my necklace out from under my shirt and said something like "Oooh, pretty star." LOL...At least she didn't think I was evil.

I agree with you both. I think the VA should foot the bill for any symbol as well as the major religious symbols they already cover. Not only does it honor the soldiers, it helps to legitimize our different faiths.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I think this is another one of those things that falls under "separation of church and state" but that the government can't quite seem to separate themsleves from.

They either should pay for any and all religous symbols on markers - or none, not pick and choose.

Either of those choices would be the government NOT making a comment on religion. But by only allowing certain symbols, then they are making a political statement of religion.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
G
Gecko
Gecko
G
Hi Trish,

Really great topic. smile

First, and just as an aside, you might have already read some things on/about Mike Weinstein. He's become the leading whistle blower and campaigner against the influence of fundamentalist evangelicals in the US military.

it's quite an interesting article that I've linked below. Even though it's not specifically to do with paganism, it is to do with the military position on dealing with non-christians witin the armed forces.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thank you Michelle and Gaye for posting. I will definitely read those links Gaye. I vaguely recall reading about Jeremy Hall but need to brush up on his story.

I strongly support separation of church and state, but I also understand the tradition of wanting a symbol of your faith on your headstone. You are right that it should be either/or not my way or the highway.

I think it would be a much harder fight to remove all of the religious symbols from the list, so the majority is going to have to compromise and allow alternatives.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 05/28/08 08:59 AM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
I agree that all-or-nothing must be the policy in order to maintain an impartial stance. As for the importance of the battle, I believe that every fight is of import. Every battle we engage in not only puts us in a realistic light in the public eye, but brings us closer to having equal rights. We must always remember that we are equal to all other religions on paper, but we need to make an effort to make that a reality. smile

Anda

A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Excellent Anda ! ! !

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.