Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Very nice picture Wendy.

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
My husband is 16 years younger than I am. We met at work, my divorce from 1st husband had just been finalized and he had just left a committed relationship. We clicked as friends immediately, but the age difference was a big stumbling block to anything more. We got a lot of negative feedback from co-workers and family about our friendship, so it took over a year of being best friends before we were willing to take the relationship further.

At first I got a lot of questions like: "is he your son?" But mentally and emotionally our ages meet somewhere in the middle and to us it's just a number. My DH has always been "old" for his age, much more mature than others of the same age, and I have my immature moments so it works. We've been together for 15 years and married for 8. Sometimes it surprises us both that it's been that long.

Many times we both wish we could've been closer in age, but we were meant for each other, so we just accept it. I get a lot of responses like "you go girl" from women who have never met him, but people who know us just accept us for ourselves. And, yes, there is definitely a double standard on May/December couples. It's fine for an older man and younger woman, but every one has a negative opinion about both people in a relationship where the woman is much older, and feel compelled to tell you about it. LOL But it works for us and we've been together so long that we don't get much of that anymore, either.

My in-laws were understandably disappointed at first (the no grandchildren thing), but they were very good to me and my children and now accept them as grandchildren. They were way better than I expected, and I will always be grateful for that. In fact they accepted me far sooner than my family accepted him. But it's all water under the bridge now.

Ultimately no one can ever know what works for other people, or what will work for you in the future, you just have to know yourself and go with your heart.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
that is great that it's worked out so well for you!

It always bothers me that some shows call women in this position "cougars" as if they are odd predators of some sort. It should be natural for a man and woman who care for each other to be together, whatever their age, as long as they are both adults.

Again I always come back to how hard it is to find a true life match. If you find someone that is great for you, you should treasure it.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Parakeet
Parakeet
Blessings to Wendy and Helen!

The name cougar for older woman/younger man,came about because the real female cougar is usually older then the male she chooses as a mate. The reason she chooses younger is simply that the younger male is stronger and has a better chance of fathering healthy cubs.It all has to do with producing cubs that have a good chance to survive and thrive.

I find it totally ridiculous that people have to have anything to say about who we date, live with, or marry. It isn't only age related.

I personally have never cared what anyone says about any aspect of my life. If I'm pushed too far by nosy people who offer their unwnated opinions too often I have been known to say:
"Unless you pay my bills or sleep in my bed, your opinion is not wanted."

Last edited by kristen houghton; 05/06/08 03:42 PM.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My mother has a saying...she has a few actually...

"There are only two men that I listen to, the one that signs my paycheck and the one who put the ring on my finger...and even then I may be selectively deaf."

Last edited by Wendy Tall One; 05/05/08 11:18 PM.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Parakeet
Parakeet
Your mom is the best! That is a great saying!

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
I wish them all many years of happiness. grin

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I wish them happiness too. It is definitely possible no matter what petty people say.

My uncle has been happily married to a woman 20 years older for about 8 years and they were together for about 5 years before that. She's a kindergarten teacher and very young at heart while he's always been older than his years.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.