Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#422567 05/30/08 11:32 PM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I saw it!!! Anyone else as excited as I am? I went to the 10AM show today. The theater was filled, packed, with sell outs throughout the day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I finally saw it so I can chime in on this.

I found it a little ... thought provoking that a quartet of bright, skilled women would all be so obsessed about getting married. Two of them were married to start with. Carrie gets married during the movie. Only Samantha ends up single and she has to say in her break-up scene that she's being "selfish" to do this.

I know many single women who are really happy being single, and they don't feel selfish. With Carrie and Big it's not even a matter of them marrying for "love" - they already love each other and are together. It's for financial protection.

I went with women in their late 40s / early 50s and their comment was that the clothes the women wore (especially Carrie) were really unattractive. I think they commented on her dress-and-combat-boots as well as the short-skirt-with-long-loud-socks. It hadn't struck me either way, I just think of them as odd dressers in general smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I have not seen it yet, but Carrie is KNOWN for her odd style. She mixes high couture with vintage finds and often sports low brow attire with a girly twist. With her hair and body she can generally carry it off, but even then, sometimes her outfits are uber-bizarre. Her personality is that she enjoys blurring boundaries with her costuming.

Samantha is a power-dresser, whether it's for work or going out. Her clothes are never subtle but always sexy.

Charlotte dresses in classic clothing that always compliments her figure. Sometimes they are clean, neat black dresses and sometimes preppy Ralph Lauren-esque pieces, which suits her upper crust wasp, slightly conservative upbringing. I did notice that when she converted her attire modified a bit. smile

Miranda is the one who's style changed the most. Hers started out in manly, angular suits to compliment her law career and no nonsense personality...over time she seemed to loosen up and be less afraid to try on some more feminine looks. Still not outwardly sexy, for the most part, but less mannish. In the previews for the movie she seems to have embraced her girlyness, but I will have to see.

Last edited by Jilly; 06/14/08 03:31 PM.
Jilly #427059 06/16/08 01:59 AM
N
N
The movie is worth watching. I liked it for all reasons. And guess what, while I was browsing for reviews on Sex and The City, I happened to find this fun dating quiz that tells which SATC girl you are most like. It�s created by a psychologist, Dr. Diana and is right on. I am a Samantha (no surprise!!!) Not only does the site have the quiz but you can also sign up for dating tips. I think you will love this. It�s at www.mydatingpatterns.com! Try it out :-)

C
C
I haven't seen it yet. I have mixed feelings aboout the series - I found the characters too self-absorbed and "hip" at times. OTOH, I did like Chris Noth though I prefer him as "Detective Michael Logan" from "Law & Order"/ "Law & Order: Criminal Intent".

Colleen Farrell
Romance Movies Site
I finally saw it (yay, Netflix!) LOL I like to watch movies at home where I can be comfy. As a big fan of the series, I absolutely loved the movie. I didn't like what Big did to Carrie, but he was true to character, and it was really nice catching up with the "girls" again. And, the plus for me was that I found out about Bag, Borrow or Steal! Renting designer purses. Are you kidding me?!? Sign me up! LOL

"Passionate heroes...Independent heroines...Enticing romance. ~ More than just a love story. ~
B
Shark
Shark
B
I loved the movie. My daughter and I picked it up on a shopping trip. I got such a kick out of watching Samantha try to keep herself from Dante next door, and the sushi scene was hilarious.
Yes, I hated what Big did to Carrie. But at least they got together in the end.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It's curious how we always forgive Big even though he lies and cheats and does really damaging things to Carrie. Why do you think that is? Just because he's cute? Because he's like a puppy dog and we figure he didn't really mean it?

Low Carb Forum
N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
I think Carrie is just as flawed of a character as Big... she also has cheated and lied. The part in the movie about his feelings over the wedding (I won't give away any more than that) was her fault as much as his - she ignored his feelings and wishes (and even her own instincts), and their communication was really poor - nothing we haven't seen before from this couple.

But these two self-absorbed, flawed people do finally make a breakthrough and begin realizing that what the other person needs and wants is incredibly important, and that's a great lesson. There certainly was never a "magic cure-all" - they really had to work at it. I think too many Hollywood romances are too easy... Big and Carrie had a hard time, which is much more real.

As for the fashion - everyone has been to New York and seen what people wear, right? It's a totally different fashion code than the rest of the country follows, but it makes for great people-watching when you're in the city, especially in the very fashion-forward areas...

Megan Romer, New York Editor
New York Website
New York Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I do agree she is flawed too, and that she was ignoring him and off in her own world. I wonder if that is curious too, that I am more willing to see the flaws in him than in her? She certainly has responsibility too ...

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 01/09/09 01:54 AM.

Low Carb Forum
Y
Y
The movie was great. I love Carrie and Big's love story. I have watched it the third time this month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.