Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
A private school in California closed after a massive outbreak of whooping cough among students, a large portion of whom had been unvaccinated for the disease.

See the San Francisco Chronical editorial on this issue - online now.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
That scary, it should be mandatory that kids be vaccinated

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Please note that this is an editoral, not a news article; hence the very anti-no-vax tone. What the article doesn't tell you is that the enrollees at a waldorf school are generally pretty crunchy-granola bunch. Those who don't vax for pertussis are making a choice -- they aren't just too lazy to get their kids vaxxed. And those who did most likely know that pertussis is a lousy, not always effective vax AND know that many at the school don't vax so weren't really counting on the herd immunity factor there.

We do selectively vax and are on a custom schedule with our ped, because the AAP schedule leaves a lot to be desired. We did vax for pertussis, because it scares the bejezus out of me, and because I feel that the marginal protection the DTaP immunization provides (truthfully, it's a pretty lousy vax as they go), balanced against the high reactivity of that vax, is still worth the risk when you factor in the likelihood of losing breastfeeding along with the risks of the illness itself. Since breastfeeding provides significant health benefits in and of itself (including protection from many of the other immunized illnesses, some of which we forgo the vaxxes for because breastfeeding is shown to provide significant protection), and would be almost impossible to maintain through a course of pertussis, I felt that tipped the scales.

But, Rosie, you, and other with that kneejerk reaction, should do a little research on this issue before making such bold statments. I felt that way when I had my first child, but have learned a LOT since that time. Many vaccines are kept on the AAP schedule not based on need, but based on profit and lobbying of drug companies, and using fearmongering over facts (like polio, which has been irradicated in this country, every bit as much as other diseases whose vaxxes have been suspended for that reason). Some vaccines are for adult illnesses, and could be handled by public health authorities in better ways, and with immunizations given at safer and more logical ages (like HepB and rubella). There are many reasons to choose or not choose vaccinations, so please research before you judge.

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Nicki, I don't think Rosie was judging. She posts a lot and I don't find her judgmental. She was just adding to the conversation. As are you. smile But no need to pick at her. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 05/30/08 01:28 PM.
Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
The original post noted that this was an editorial.

Regardless of the source, however, the fact is that a school closed due to an outbreak of an illness that many believe to have been wiped out in the U.S. (one of the reasons some families choose not to vaccinate--the illness is perceived as no longer an issue).

The CDC continues to track whooping cough in rising rates cross the U.S. The same holds true with measles, mumps, rubella and polio.

Excuse me, I didn't mean to come off as being judgmental, i must be from the old school because back in the day my kids had to be vaccinated before starting school. I guess i'll have to learn the same way you did.

Rosie L
Thanks Jilly

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Jilly,

I'd have to reply though that I also don't think I was "picking at her" nor did I call her judgemental. I called her statement kneejerk, which that reaction often is among those not studied on this topic -- I know I was was before I learned more on this topic.

And I called it bold, which it is -- it is a bold statement that all children should recieve all currently recommended vaxes with no option for exemption -- there are hundreds of reasons that is not true if digging a little deeper.

I think a serious public health issue here is the notion that vaxes are this cut and dry issue with all upside and no downside and so anyone who wouldn't do it is a nutcase or irresponsible. But it's far fro that simple! I used to feel that anyone not doing it was not doing their "civic duty." But like many things political, the issue is so much deeper than just health -- it involves big business/big pharma, litigation and liability, morality (some don't do some vaxes because some vaccines were originally developed using cell lines from aborted fetuses), convenience, funding and timing of children's health visits, and that's before even getting to issues like overall personal choice.

Nicki :-)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I just think there are nicer ways to say things that don't make people feel bad about themselves. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Lynn_B
the fact is that a school closed due to an outbreak of an illness that many believe to have been wiped out in the U.S. (one of the reasons some families choose not to vaccinate--the illness is perceived as no longer an issue).

The CDC continues to track whooping cough in rising rates cross the U.S. The same holds true with measles, mumps, rubella and polio.

Lynn,

I'd have to disagree that many families who choose not to vax for pertussis believe that it has been eliminated. You'd be hardpressed to find any anti-vax literature, at least anything reputable, that even implies that. It's very well-known that pertussis is still "out there." There are some illnesses for which this holds true -- diptheria and polio for example are basically irradicated in this country. But not pertussis, and any non-vaxer who believes that is critically misinformed. Again, at a waldorf school, it's very unlikely that that a misconception like that would have played any role in this situation.

And my understanding is that there are not overall rising levels of any of the diseases you mentioned. Pertussis in particular, over the past few decades, tends to rise and fall in 5 year cycles that even experts on the subject can't seem to explain. It peaked in 04-05, according to page 28 in the recently released "The Vaccine Book" by Bob Sears, and was the highest in many years, but dropped in 2006 and looked to be dropping again in 2007 when the book was written. It's also worth noting that he also stated point blank -- under the "Is Pertussis Common?" and "Is Pertussis Serious?" questions. "Yes."

Nicki

Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
FYI - On polio, the disease has not been eradicated. Though there are no reports of U.S. based polio virus outbreaks, the transient nature of our population and the influx of visitors from other countries, not to mention the high rate of travel of U.S. citizens to overseas countries, means exposure remains a possibility. Over 1,000 cases of polio are reported each year worldwide. A modified IPV remains recommended for U.S. children.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: skyhaven
Excuse me, I didn't mean to come off as being judgmental, i must be from the old school because back in the day my kids had to be vaccinated before starting school. I guess i'll have to learn the same way you did.

Rosie,

Ditto... I'm not trying to judge you either, just to respond. Your reaction is quite common, and part of why the issue of vaccines is so inflammatory. Obviously, I have done a lot of reading and research, as well as soul searching on this topic. I'm not wild about those who make no-vax decisions without any regard for public health issues in addition to the individual health of their own child. But I also don't believe what I decided for my kids is necessarily what is right for everyone, for many reasons.

But those of us who are selective, or delayed about our kids shots, as well as those who don't vax at all face a lot of public response based on miconceptions (such as that about, that these rates are rising overall, much less *because* of unvaxxed kids). When papers report on this sort of thing they LOVE using words like "outbreak" and create a stir, because scholarly dicussion doesn't sell papers! My mom called me frantic because of the measles "outbreak" she heard about in LA, which was basically ONE case 60 miles from me! (And measles is actually a vax we choose to do, besides, as is pertussis!).

Nicki :-)

Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
My post didn't state "many families," I stated "some." I try not to make over-generalized, unsupported statements.

Its currently 2008, and the rate of incidence of pertussis in the U.S. is climbing (based on actual reported, documented cases tracked by the CDC). Of note, the incidence rate is climbing among ALL populations (vaccinated and unvaccinated).

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Lynn_B
FYI - On polio, the disease has not been eradicated. Though there are no reports of U.S. based polio virus outbreaks, the transient nature of our population and the influx of visitors from other countries, not to mention the high rate of travel of U.S. citizens to overseas countries, means exposure remains a possibility. Over 1,000 cases of polio are reported each year worldwide. A modified IPV remains recommended for U.S. children.

Again according to "The Vaccine Book," which as vax info books go is pretty pro-vaccine AND very public health oriented, and because I have it handy -

-- There have been NO cases of polio in the US since 1985 (which was an isolated case of an immigrant bringing in the illness)

-- No US citizen has had wild polio since 1979 (that's 29 years, for quick math!)

-- The only cases of polio there have been since that date were caused by the live virus oral polio vaccine (rarely used today for that reason)

He DOES still consider the vaccine worthwhile from a public health viewpoint -- some other experts argue that the vax manufacturers simply do a very good job of fearmongering on this issue, and that the polio vaccine should go the way of other travel vaxes or low contraction risk diseases like smallpox

Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
That's exactly what I said, Nicki.

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Hi everyone!
I'm glad to see that there is finally more activity in the public health forum!

The question of whether to vaccinate or not is a personal one, which parents have to make for their own children, but at the same time it affects others since these are communicable diseases. A sick child whose parents chose not to vax may infect older adults whose vaccinations have worn off, since they do wear off with time.

Speaking strictly from the scientific evidence I have seen, I would not suggest going against the vaccination recommendations. Other countries in which significant numbers of people have stopped vaccinating have subsequently experienced outbreaks of diseases such as whooping cough, measles, and diphtheria as was mentioned above. A recent measles outbreak in 14 U.S. states was primarily due to importation from countries such as Switzerland, Belgium, Israel, India, and China.

However, I respect the rights of parents to make decisions for their children.

I am glad to see that the discussion has been mostly friendly. smile Let's be sure to keep it that way and be tolerant of others opinions, whether we agree with them or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.