logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
Gecko
WOW, maybe she was "mis quoted" ? But either way I honestly do not think celebrities play that much of a role in what everyone does, well I will certainly correct myself and say they don't play a role in my life except pure entertainment. I also do not really believe or "take it to the bank" anything a celebrity says, they are just people who have opinions of their own.

I did try to breastfeed my first son and poor thing nearly starved to death, I had no milk no matter what they did to me and trust me everything was tried. Then when I had my 2nd son 14 years later I didn't even try and OF COURSE I had tons of milk...go figure ? I know this is a bread feeding forum but it isn't for everyone. I simply could not do it with my 2nd son, I went back to work 2 weeks after I had him (I was single and now had 2 kids had to work). Both of my kids are healthy. I think it is a personal choice really, I have had a couple of friends who would get completely creeped out at the thought of breast feeding, but I have no problem with it at all and it does not bother me in the least to see someone in public breast feeding "properly" by that I mean they are not letting everything hang out.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
NIN Offline
N
I applaud Jennifer Lopez for not breastfeeding. I think its a terrible thing to force a woman to breastfeed, even when she's totally against it. I'm glad Jennifer Lopez made up her own mind and did not give in to pressure to breastfeed.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
This has been an interesting thread...so many issues connected with breastfeeding!
I had my first baby over 50 years ago when breastfeeding was considered something that only ignorant savages did; certainly no "modern" American women would think of doing such a thing. But I wanted to! Nobody in the hospital in Maine where I gave birth had any idea of how to help me, they thought I was quaint and sort of odd to want to do such a thing! Luckily my DS had a huge appetite so between the 2 of us we learned how, and taught a few things to the hospital staff, too!

At least now new mothers have more options, but I hate to think that any of them are getting pressure one way or the other. No outsiders can know how or why a woman makes such a personal decision, and as long as the baby is getting good care...butt out!

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Nutrition aside, there are two reasons I felt it was important for me to breast feed my son -- allergies and TMJ. I have a terrible time with both of those (I was bottle fed, because my mom says she was too self-conscious to nurse, which she now deems a lousy reason not to bf) and studies have shown that nursing can reduce the likelihood of allergies, and nursing at least 6 months can reduce the risk of TMJ problems. My ds is 16, has milder allergies than I do, and a limited amount of jaw popping, nothing like what I dealt with since I was very young.

It wasn't until after I had my son that a study came out showing that there are cardiovascular benefits to breastfeeding. I know someone with a son close in age to my son who didn't breastfeed, and although I never mentioned that study to her (it would have done no good, it was years later) I always wondered if her son's high cholesterol (from very young, before I knew him, when he was 4) might have been in part caused by bottle feeding. (The cholesterol making mechanism will turn on if there isn't enough cholesterol in the diet, because the brain needs that to myelinate the neurons.)

At a guess, Jennifer Lopez made up her mind, then searched for information that would support her decision, not searched for information and then made a decision.

There are valid reasons not to breastfeed -- illness that could be passed to the baby, or that would make it too hard on the mother, inadequate supply (though that can't be determined until after trying!) I haven't heard of those being a factor, though.

E
Koala
Koala
E
Originally Posted By: Ms A
nursing at least 6 months can reduce the risk of TMJ problems. My ds is 16, has milder allergies than I do, and a limited amount of jaw popping, nothing like what I dealt with since I was very young.

Thank you Ms A! I had to look "TMJ" up, but as soon as I saw "jaw popping" in your post I already knew this was the same problem I have. Because I went to my doc with it together with an ear injection, he considered it part of that infection. But I'm starting to think it's only partially related to my ears.

(Back to the topic: I read that there may be a correlation between bottle feeding and ear infections when bottle fed babies lie down with a bottle.)

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.