Do you have a favorite "Jewish" recipe?

One of mine is for Challah Kugel.

You need:
1 medium challah with the crust removed
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 cup oil
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix (non-dairy)
3 granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
cinnamon/sugar

Soak the challah in water. Squeeze out the water and break it into pieces.
In a large bowl, put all the ingredients except the challah and the apples.
Add the challah and the apples. Mix well.
Pour into a 9x13 glass dish and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 350 until kugel is golden and moist.

Enjoy!

Look for my article coming out tonight with a whole menu for Shabbat dinner - fast and easy to prepare!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
Your challah kugel reminds me of something my late mother in law made. I'd try it but I'm the only one who'll eat it!

And I do plan on trying your challah, minus the vanilla as I have the major sweet tooth in the family.

I saw your cookie recipe, or a variation, in a Joanna Fluke book. I returned it before copying the recipe, so thanks!

Most of my best recipes aren't uniquely Jewish, but here are a few quickies:
Potato kugel, but put in half the batter, then a layer of thinly sliced meat, top with the rest, bake for an hour then cover and bake for as long as ten hours or overnight in a slower oven.

Put parsnip in your chicken soup. You'll thank me ;-) Dill too. I don't add salt or canned anything, just lots of chicken and veg., and water of course.

And many yeast recipes, including my challah, don't need to proof the yeast. I put warm water in my mixer, the yeast, then mix till foamy and add the rest of the ingredients. I can't say it works for every recipe, but may be worth a try.

Shabbat shalom, everyone.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Wow!

That variation of potato kugel is a great idea! I would have never thought of that.

I play with challah recipes every week. This week's rose outward and not upward. I think it's because I let it rise a second time after I braided it.

I'm still looking for the healthy, whole grain challah that is still soft, moist and sweet. smile

thanks - Fayge

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
And thanks for demystifying Friday night. Wish I would have seen something like that 23 years or so ago.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I don't have a recipe - but I always hear about Matzo ball soup, and it sounds so good for all of us with colds.

Anybody got a good recipe for that?

(and what exactly is matzo anyway? - total gentile here).

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Elephant
Elephant
matzo are unlevened bread. They are like a cracker and come in many different sizes, shapes and flavors.

I have a couple recipes for good ole matzo ball soup. Do you want one that is more labor intensive or quick and simple? I have both and I have one that is semi-labor intensive LOL

Thats what I get for being a cook ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Jase, you should know that I'm not scared of labor intensive cooking - give me the one that tastes best! grin

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Elephant
Elephant
ok... soup base recipe. This is my "famous" soup base that people cannot get enough of it seems. i do things a little differently.

Jase's Chicken Soup Base

Ingredients:

1 4-5 pound roasting/boiling chicken
2 sticks celery
2 carrots (not baby and unpeeled)
1 large (oe 2 medium) Spanish onions (red onion)
2-3 cloves garlic
3 Bay Leaves
10-12 peppercorns
1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
10-12 quarts COLD water (preferably decent tap or distilled)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Large Stock Pot (16-20 quarts)
Small frying pan
4 pieces of cheese cloth
strainer
large bowl

Directions:

Cut up chicken into standard 8 pieces after removing the backbone. Skin and defat chicken as well as possible, do not discard skin. If chicken comes with innards, remove them before trimming and cutting and take care not to get pieces mixed with the cut up chicken. Cut up backbone into smaller parts. Cut onion into half and then into quarters. Do not peel. Chop garlic cloves in half without removing peels. Break the celery into smaller pieces and the carrots into smaller pieces as well.

In a large stockpot over medium heat add the olive oil. Using roughly 1-2 teaspoons of your kosher salt, sprinkle on chicken pieces and brown them in the oil only doing a few pieces at a time. Once brown, remove chicken and let sit on a plate which can collect the juices.

Once chicken is browned add the garlic, and vegetables. Sprinkle in remaining salt. Cook 3-5 minutes until some color appears. Add peppercorns and spices. Add the browned chicken and its juices. Pour cold water over all ingredients and bring to a boil.

Once brough to a boil reduce to a simmer and cook with the lid on for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove lid and laddle out any protein appearing on the surface of the liquid. Cook an additional 2-3 hours with the lid off until reduced by half. Once the time is up, strain using a cheese cloth lined strainer into a large bowl. Trash the vegies and save the meat for chicken salad or even chicken noodle soup. The chicken freezes well.

Let cool or use to make soup. If not use right away after cooling, store in air-tight containers in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for up to 6-9 months.

Don't forget that skin and fat you put aside when breaking down the chicken. Using your small frying pan render the fat from the skin and fat. Strain out cooked pieces and save the fat. I store mine is a air tight container in the freezer. I use it to make fried potatoes, use it on some vegies instead of butter, or ecen put some on noodles that I boiled instead of buttered noodles. Of course you want to save the schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) for Matzo Ball Soup.

You can use the cooked chicken to make chicken salad, chicken and noodles, chicken noodle soup or even chicken tacos if you sprinkle some taco seasons on it.

Coming soon:

Chicken Soup recipe
Chunky Chicken Matzo Ball Soup recipe
Chicken Matzo Ball Soup recipe

Last edited by Jase GLBT Editor; 06/01/08 11:14 PM.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
Jase, my hat is (figuratively ;-) off to you. This is an authentic recipe. For those who want to know, an authentic chicken soup recipe does NOT start, take a few cans or boxes of chicken broth ;-) Not that such recipes aren't delicious, or won't help a cold, just not the real thing.I take all sorts of random acts of raw chicken, legs, wings, any parts, cover with water, add lots of vegetables, especially parsnip and dill (usually dill seeds) and simmer for a good few hours. I separate the liquid from everything else, let it sit in the fridge overnight or so, till the fat is easily skimmable. I usually make a lot at a time, so I'm set for a few weeks. I freeze the broth along with chunks of chicken and vegetables.Now for the matzah balls. Matzah balls come from matzah ground to a very fine powder, available in kosher specialty stores or the kosher aisle of your supermarket. My basic recipe is this:Gently stir 4 eggs and a few spoons of oil (sorry for the imprecision). Slowly add 1 cup of matzah meal, salt, pepper, ginger (got that from my MIL, then a few spoons of water. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for a few hours. The mixture should be a little liquidy. It will firm up.� Boil a pot of water, add salt, drop walnut-size balls of the batter, reduce to simmer and cover for a half hour.I've seen recipes with seltzer. Really good but i don't always have seltzer around. Most recipes will call for 1 egg per 1/4 cup of matzah meal. And of course there is the age-old debate - cannonballs (boo) or fluffy balls (yay!)Matzah balls, aka kneidlach, are especially heavenly when cooked in the chicken soup but I'm not sure how much water they absorb.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I'm forwarding the chicken soup base recipe and the matzo ball recipe to my husband (he's the soup guy - especially when he has a cold - a pot of chx soup instantly goes on the stove)... I can't wait until he tries it!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.