Page 1 of 2 1 2
#418672 05/15/08 11:16 AM
F
Fayge Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
F
Forget about defining who is a Jew. Let's define, who is a rabbi ;-)
Quite seriously, what is a rabbi? Teacher, pastoral duties, halachic decisor...?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Fayge #418676 05/15/08 11:54 AM
Elephant
Elephant
The literal meaning of Rabbi is teacher.

From JewFaq (which can sometimes explain things better than I in simpler language):

A rabbi is simply a teacher, a person sufficiently educated in halakhah and tradition to instruct the community and to answer questions and resolve disputes regarding halakhah. When a person has completed the necessary course of study, he is given a written document known as a semikhah, which confirms his authority to make such decisions.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #418697 05/15/08 01:22 PM
F
Fayge Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
F
Hi, Jase.
That's a useful definition. But I wonder, if you would go to any given congregation, if that would be their mission statement. Please note, I'm not trying to get any sort of flame going, just asking for clarity. Halachic decider is just one aspect. It might be a primary aspect, it might not be.

Fayge #418704 05/15/08 01:37 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
How do you define "rabbi", Fayge? Jase, I like your definition too... and then when I think about leaders in other religions, I wonder how the definition changes. Even within the different sects of Judaism, do you think the definition changes?

It is another instance in Judaism where I have to believe the dilemma is there for a reason... all part of the Plan.

There are many rabbis who never lead a congregation - that wasn't their intent when seeking smicha. But they all have to have some element of offering halachic advice, no?

I'd have to think that all rabbis are comfortable with halachic decisions. Their beliefs may differ on Jewish Law, but they've got to be comfortable with "their sect's rules", right? (for lack of a better way of stating that)

Truthfully, I'm not exactly sure where the decision that women cannot be rabbis originates from. I'm still looking for an answer from the Torah or Talmud(before I go to my rabbi and ask him). smile What I've found has been very vague and not necessarily ruling women OUT but just indicating that men SHOULD.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
I am not Jewish but may I ask a question please? Is it written in the Torah that women are not allowed to be Rabbis? Is it written in the Catholic Bible that women can not be priests? When I was young I learned how to spin on a spinning wheel. my dad said,"That is for women", you need to do men's stuff." Who makes up this stuff???????????

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 05/15/08 02:17 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I grew up with a Catholic background and I remember it took forever for them to actually let a woman administer communion as a minister.

My personal feeling is that politics played a hand in whether or not a woman could lead as the head of anything really.
For awhile women couldnt' even vote and that we can investigate for ourselves.

When someone feels the calling to minister, it is not gender biased. If a man or woman feels the need to head, I feel they should explore the option to do that.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Thank you Eleise!!!!!!!!!!!!

#418810 05/15/08 09:49 PM
F
Fayge Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
F
How do I define rabbi? That is a good question. The rabbis we go to for halachic decisions are not our congregational rabbis. (We're regulars in several shuls.) Not because we don't trust the rabbis, but because they don't do that. As our community's spread out, new minyanim pop up and the neighborhood's look for rabbis who are scholarly, can teach, and worthy of looking up to.

Not all rabbis are comfortable making halachic decisions, and even among those who are, certain questions might require further consultation. The process of getting to the point of being able to make decisions is a lengthy one, requiring years of study and apprenticeship. Not very practical for women.

This has never been a conflict for me personally. Part of it may be the conditioning of a traditional upbringing, but over the years I've come to realize that more than that is the fact that I'm not wired for Talmudic study. I don't have an interest in it, don't feel that I've been deprived by the limitations of my education. I do try to put myself in the shoes of the women who do feel conflicted (and they'd better be 9 1/2, with good arch support ;-).

Fayge #418834 05/16/08 01:16 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I definitely think there is a misleading perception of mens' and women's roles within Judaism and, perhaps, other religions as well. There is a strong movement of women's rights believers who think that women are getting slighted, are not being treated as equal.

My initial response to that is - if you want to wrap tefillin, go ahead - and get circumcised while you're at it. (j/k)

But, it's really much deeper. Fayge, I think that's what you were getting at. Men and women - in all aspects of life - have different roles. Even in homes where men and women decide to share responsibilities, the women is still - most often - the primary caregiver of the children. She is the one who has to miss work, arrange for sitters, etc.

In Judaism, as well, men and women are given different roles. On the very basic level, women are born with innate intuition and a deeper spiritual connection. The things men "have to do" assist them to create that same spiritual connection and to stay focused on that goal.

I recently discovered an organization called JOFA (Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance) www.jofa.org
I haven't had the opportunity to explore it or read their information yet but the jist is - advancing the role of women within halachic guidelines.

If that's the case, what's the argument? Well, what one person defines as 'halachically' acceptable is not agreed upon by others.

And, if we're arguing over the definition of the halachic guidelines, then how absolute can they be? Unfortunately, even among orthodox authorities, there are differences.

I agree with you, Fayge, I like staying home on Shabbos morning. I like sitting by MYSELF when I do go to shul (the women talk too much).... etc.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Elephant
Elephant
then there is also the queer jewish movement where many gay men and women jews feel they are twice or triple blessed depending on if they are a convert or not.

I agree there are femanine and masculine roles, but you don't have to be a woman to have femanine roles or understanding or inclings.

I am a gay man. I am the caregiver in my home. I care for all the animals and my roommate (who is a woman and disabled). I make sure she goes to all her appountments, do all the shopping, prep of meals, budgeting, etc. I also am the breadwinner of the family. So my roles are both male and female. I am a burturing person, even in my profession. This is a very femanine role.

What I am saying is the role of the man and woman is fluid. It is neither one or the other but a combination on the spectrum.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.