Next Thread
Print Thread
#406026 04/12/08 03:44 PM
E
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
E
Hi, How would you go about learning French? I need to but I do not have a clue, and I feel very discouraged. It feels such a huge task, any advice on how to get it to stick in my head? (memory can be an issue at times!)
Thanks for any input!

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
There is software called Rosetta Stone..It looks a lot easier
than learning the old fashioned way..I don't know how much it
costs..Probably not cheap..I noticed many online classes too.
I took 4 yrs of French in high school..It's not very difficult but
I had trouble with the conjugation of the verbs..I could read it and write it very well..but when they speak to you I had a hard time keeping up..they really speak fast..(whew)..I felt lucky to be able to grab on to a few words..If they would just slow down.
And I always kept my trusty little dictionary handy..(French to English and English to French)...
I can still read & write it with no trouble..Seems once you learn it, that it stays with you..(And I finished high school
long ago)..
Anyway, Bonjour & Brightest Blessings..!!

shootingstar123

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I wish so much my father would of taught me to speak French when i was young. i think parents who can speak a second language should teach their children. i feel like i missed out.

Rosie L
"Rosie" #406160 04/12/08 09:40 PM
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
I've heard great things about Rosetta Stone. I believe their website is just RosettaStone.com, so you could check out prices there. It isn't cheap (which is the main reason I haven't bought it yet), but I want to get it to keep up with my French.

I learned the old fashioned way though. I took 3 years in high school and then got my minor in French when I was working on my Bachelor's degree.

#406171 04/12/08 10:11 PM
Elephant
Elephant
RosettaStone is excellent. It is used by the ambasador corps and many federal service agencies.

My friend used it to learn his spanish much better. he impressed his spanish department chair when he did his orals because the prof had had him as a student and knew his spanish wasn't as good as it should have been with all the years of training he had had

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #406190 04/12/08 11:15 PM
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
Some of the "Learn a Language on tape"s while you are int he car might help.

I took one year of Spanish in 7th grade and one year of French in 8th grade. Wisely, living near the Canadian border in my youth, I decided Spanish was what to study........(yep - that is sarcasm)

It turned out fine - I live in Florida now....just the Spanish I learned in school was not the Spanish people speak in the street.
I really need to learn a lot of it again and PRACTICE.

Once you learn it - keep practicing. That way, it will stay with you. You can do it!!!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I'm familiar with the Rosetta Stone software. I checked it out from the local library, though lacked the motivation to use it more than a few times. It seemed user friendly.

Everyone always told me the best way to learn a language was to sleep with the dictionary. So married a French man and we speak English at home, go figure.

If you have the time and resources, really immersing yourself in the language and culture is most beneficial. I took classes at both Alliance Francaise and the Sorbonne, both good programs, and offer my opinion on them here...
Paris Schools of Language � La Sorbonne vs. Alliance Fran�aise

I like to pick up new vocabulary by watching movies either in French with English subtitles or preferably English with French subtitles but always in the original tongue.

Last edited by FrenchCultureMelissa; 05/25/11 08:44 AM.

Melissa Demiguel
French Culture Editor

"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris...then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."
Ernest Hemingway

Moderated by  FrenchCultureMelissa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.