Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
The Ficus elastica article (from the previous editor) gets more traffic than any other article on my site. I've never owned one of these plants - they've never really appealed to me. Can anyone tell me what's so great about this plant? Maybe I will get one. confused

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Maybe it's because they are hard to kill, grow fairly slowly, don't need much light and have big leaves that can fill a large space. So for someone who wants a live plant for decoration but doesn't want to have to fuss with it, the ficus fills the bill.

I will admit to owning one rubber plant. It lives in a spot far from any window that none of my many other house plants could cope with, and brightens that dark corner.

Zebra
Zebra
I love my rubber plant! I like tropical looking plants and I had a rubber tree before & left it outside when I went out of town & we had a cold snap & it froze.

So, I got another one several years ago & the fairly new puppy mauled it to smithereens. There were stalks and the barest snippets of leaves left. She never bothered it again (It was naked for ages and she was better trained when the leaves started growing back.) It took forever to nurse it back to health. Now, its big & beautiful. The star of my show.

So, it is a very easy and forgiving plant.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
We used to have a ficus that was given to us as a house warming gift. it came in a one gallon bucket. We had it for years. It would spend the winter in our family room where nothing else would survive, and summers out on the deck. By the time the outside cats killed it mad it was in the largest planter we could find and stood about 8 feet tall!

Sometimes in winter it would drop a lot of leaves, but come spring it would return to full glory.

It is a very forgiving plant that fills a large spot in your home and can even be decorated for the winter holidays! It is also a lot of fun to see how big you can get it to grow.

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.