Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=/getposter.asp&APNum=1214456

please remember to always link to the site you use the image from, so that it is under the affiliate program rights vs bandwidth theft smile

So, what do you think? I'm not sure I see faces in the sky ... it does seem a bit unsettling to me though. That big protrusion on the left looks like the Spires of Mount Doom smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I don't see faces in the sky, but the sky itself seems to be in much more turmoil thatn the one in "Starry Night Over the Rhone"

In this "Starry Night" it feels like you are just waiting for a storm to happen.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
What the write-up on art.com said was that by this point he was in an institution and he did the entire thing from memory. So if he was locked up in a cell at this point and unable to see the night sky, I imagine there was a lot of turmoil in his mind as he painted this ...

Low Carb Forum
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
This is from Van Gogh's dark period and if I remember correctly he didn't like it because it didn't seem realistic enough to him.

Also, after he cut his left ear off he begand painting portraits of himself with the bandaged ear. However, in his portraits he paints the bandage on the right ear. Why do you suppose he did that?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Maybe because he was looking in a mirror, and was literally translating the image he saw.

Most people would take into account that it was a "mirror image" and adust accordingly, but if he was in such a mindset - he may have been completely remeoved from himself - and saw that as painting the portrait of another person.

What's the possibility he suffered fomr DID? Did they even understand that back then?

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wikipedia says:

"There has been much debate over the years as to the source of Van Gogh's mental illness and its effect on his work. Over 150 psychiatrists have attempted to label his illness, and some 30 different diagnoses have been suggested.[74]

Diagnoses which have been put forward include schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, syphilis, poisoning from swallowed paints, temporal lobe epilepsy and acute intermittent porphyria. Any of these could have been the culprit and been aggravated by malnutrition, overwork, insomnia, and a fondness for alcohol, and absinthe in particular."

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Just a small correction here. Van Gogh did not cut off his ear, he cut off a small piece of his earlobe. Which, I grant you, is not a normal thing to do, but not quite as weird as cutting the entire ear off. I was told this by an art history professor about 35 years ago and have been trying to correct the mis-perception, whenever I hear it, ever since. smile

I love Van Gogh's work. I love the brilliant colors, the movement, and knowing that such a tortured soul produced such incredible beauty. Looking at his paintings, to me, can bring me to tears just being in the presence of it, especially in person at a museum.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I have read also - I'm sorry I can't remember where - that that particular painting is a representation of what Van Gogh saw when he had migraine.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well we know he was in a mental institution when he painted this, so he could have been suffering from all sorts of things smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I do really like the colors in a swirly-stained-glass sort of way. If I just look at parts of it I really like it a lot. But all together, it has a dark / ominous look to it for me smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.