Print Thread
Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Hmmmm to me

"Why do all these dog walkers have flower-scented bags for dog poop? I never see these bags in the pet stores."

that's not venting. You're not upset with the dog walkers for having flower-scented bags. You're not complaining that they should not have them. You're making an observation about something unusual.

To me it'd be like saying

"that Ferengi drink holder has a clockwise spiral design in it, so the liquid spirals clockwise as it comes down towards your mouth. Do you think if they had them in Australia that they'd have to use counter-clockwise spirals to get it to work right?"

smile

Would he see the humor in that?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I do have to admit that if there was a slow line and someone started saying "can we get you a chair? Want some drinks" that I can imagine at least half of the people getting ticked at the impatience being shown. I thought you southern people were supposed to be laid back and slow going? smile smile

Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
Ha! Nope, we have "Type A" personalities here, too. We just sound sweeter when we're b****ing about stuff.

And, we were really only making fun of the fact that people are so wrapped up in themselves that they don't "get it" when they are just standing there, blocking the register, talking, when other people need to get to the register to check out. They weren't talking to the cashier, but to each other. They were done, time to go, move along.

Which is funny, but it's irritating that nobody has the slightest notion of courtesy to fellow shoppers. I'm sure we're all guilty of it from time to time.

I get really irritated when I'm trying to get to a store, walking down the mall walkway and people in front of me are "meandering", like five wide, blocking the whole darn path, stopping right in front of me to rearrange the kid in the stroller or something. Can't we get a slow lane for these people?

And, yet, I'll stop right in front of a jewelry store and gaze at the pretty sparklies.

So, I try to remember that people are probably just not aware and truly don't try to [censored] me off on purpose. It's just the human condition.

Zebra
Zebra
Jilly, I cannot divulge the secret handshake info. Let's just say it's not a handshake, but something more canine in nature. laugh

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, I am just pulling something out of my but. please go with me here. smile

I have had an amazing breakthrough with my little sketch. I am THRILLED. After I wrote it, i let out a litle whoop of joy and showed it to Dan.

He loved it and agreed that is EXACTLY our situation, that I had it to a tee. MAJOR MAJOR lights went on for him. I am so happy.

Do you see, no it's not a vent per se, but he would see me as "complaining" over the course of my trying to get him to play with me.

he promised to try to remember how irreverent I am and I promised to try to remember he takes me far more seriously than I might be thinking. So big yays for me. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 05/04/08 04:27 PM.
Zebra
Zebra
Part of it is probably the "man" thing, too, Jilly. Bless their hearts, they always want to "fix" things for us.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes, true, Deb.

Lisa, here is precisely how this would go with Dan and the Ferengi straws:

Jill - "that Ferengi drink holder has a clockwise spiral design in it, so the liquid spirals clockwise as it comes down towards your mouth. Do you think if they had them in Australia that they'd have to use counter-clockwise spirals to get it to work right?"

Dan - "actually that is a myth about how things go counterclockwise in Australia."

Jill - "but if you were on Fereginar, then it might not work and you'd have a big scene full of angry Cardassian patrons with faces full of romulan ale. They would have to ask the Klingon bouncers to step in before an interstellar war erupted!"

Dan - "I don't think you would have a situation where the straw would back up. According to the Wickipedia, the coreolis effect would actually blah blah blah blah blah."

Jill - "You know, you are a Vulcan."

Not that we are even talking about complaining in this particular scenario, but darn how do i get him to just PLAY with me and not CORRECT me? smile

Last edited by Jilly; 05/04/08 04:45 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Deb, about the "handshake," that really does make sense in a doggy universe. And explains why i cannot find flower scented doggie poop bags.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly - that is awesome that you had the breakthough! I don't see the Ferengi situation at *all* to be venting or complaining. It is observing something funny. So if he would not "get" that you were joking / observing in that situation, I would count that under "humor impairment".

Not to say Mensa is special, but at Mensa meetings people are doing that kind quirky discussion ALL the time and we love it. It is brain stretching. It's finding the odd connections between things. It's odd but I've never had anyone "not get it" at a Mensa meeting. Maybe we self select for oddballs smile But that is pretty much exactly how Mensa hang-outs go. That and really silly puns smile

So again I agree 100%, that is NOT venting. You're not complaining about something wrong. You're making a fun observation.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I suppose when people are slow and talking I remind myself that that IS their purpose to be there - to slowly talk and amble along. They're not in a rush - if they rushed, they'd just leave more quickly and they don't want to leave! They want to spend a few hours at the mall. So to me that would be like me getting upset with an elderly couple for walking slowly - when that is what they want to do.

That's the perfect time for a tree pose, to pass the time until the lane clears smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.