Next Thread
Print Thread
#413977 05/02/08 03:47 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi-
I am new here and need some advice!
I was watering one of my potted plants last week and noticed a bird nest hidden behind the plant inside the pot! It is right next to my front door! I finally figured out that it was a Oregon Junco. Every morning there has been a new egg, there is now 4 eggs in the nest.
My question is, how can I continue to water my plant? When the babies hatch will they be safe?? I also have 3 young boys whom I have not shown them the nest but it will be hard to not see it when there is babies!
Should I move the whole pot? It is in a shaded and dry spot.

Thank you!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
thewadeans #413982 05/02/08 03:59 PM
W
Shark
Shark
W
We barricaded our front entry walk to protect our new bird nest on the entry wall from visitors going up that way. This won't work for you.

Can you rig up a drip tube system (not a soaker hose but the type that will insert a tube in a pot). That way, all pots have tubes an you just turn it on at the water source. Now would be the time while the eggs aren't hatched yet.

As for safe, that is something you probably can't control. The smallest may even get kicked out the nest if there isn't room. Cats, racoons and other animals can get to them.

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
That female bird had to notice you watering the plant but it didn't stop her from continuing to lay eggs. I think that you can keep watering the plant as long as you don't make a big fuss about it. I wouldn't move the pot now, she will surely abandon the nest, but once the babies are hatched and peeping a lot you may be able to move it to a higher, safer spot. Birds are so keyed into the noise their chicks make that they will usually follow them to a new site.
As for the boys, this may be a good time to teach them about how birds nest, and how important it is to leave the babies alone. Is there a good place that the boys can watch the nest from without bothering the birds? Those chicks will be out of the nest in a couple of weeks after hatching, so it isn't a long-term problem.

Claybird #414249 05/03/08 03:55 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I am scared to show my boys....lol..
I have a 6 year old, 4 year old and a 2 year old. I know that my oldest would be so happy to watch and learn but I dont think I trust the other two to leave the birds alone. They would mean no harm but I am afraid as it is! It is right outside my door! I have already told friends to go to the back door! All day today the male and the female have been very close to the nest, more than the past few days.
How long does it take for the babies to hatch? How long before they leave?
I am a new to bird watching, a few years now, and this is very special to me and I would be crushed if something happened!!!
Sometimes we dont think about how delicate nature is until it is right outside our front door, literally.

thewadeans #414254 05/03/08 04:02 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Maybe you can take pictures each day and show them the pictures, but not tell them where the nest is? That way they can have fun learning about the nest and enjoying it, without going and hurting it by accident ... and then once the chicks fly off you can show them where they had been.

Is your front door on a porch or up steps? Maybe you can fence it off somehow for a few weeks? That way cats would stay away without moving the pot ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.