Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I was wondering how many of you dress in period costume for the Renaissance Fairs? What do you wear? I love the idea but never have because they tend to be held during warm weather months and I am very sensitive to heat (hot flashes, menopause, etc blush )and the costumes look very warm.

Please share pictures, if you have them.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
When I used to be involved with the SCA, I made a lot of tunics because they were so easy. So, I guess I would say I went as a peasant..LOL. I would like to make something nicer to go to a fair in, but you're right about the heat. An elaborate costume is hard to stay cool in.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
L
Shark
Shark
L
I always dress and the pattern I use is so easy you can even sew it by hand---which I had to do when I went by my SCA groups regs regarding anachronistic materials and methods. I use two twin sized sheets and two queen/king sized pillowcases. All you do basically is 'dog-ear' (fold down and cut off) the top two corners of the sheets as deep as you need the armpits and then do the same to the pillowcases to match them up and sew them on! put a drawstring in the neck and wrists, sew up the sides and voila! One size fits most--a basic shift that you can add a wide belt to or a vest or tunic. I use a stiff upholstery fabric to make the belt and get an eyelet riveter (any fabric store has them) and some lacing cord. Men's shirts can be made the same way but cut it off short and hem the edge.
(Incidentally if you need period Greek or Roman dress do the same thing but do not cut the corners, just fold down and put ties at the shoulders and leave off the sleeves.)
Ravyn

Last edited by LadyLvsNyt; 08/02/08 03:30 PM.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Yes definitely, I love the medieval period (I have five romance novels written that are set in that period). So I wear those outfits. They can be quite cool if made properly. They can also be made to be warm for cooler days. I have a number of them so I'm set whatever the weather smile

I love wearing the medieval outfits and always wear one on Halloween. Some would say that the floor length dresses I love to wear normally are really just versions of those outfits smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Their are many good websites for how - to's on making period clothing but the best one I've found so far for accuracy to the period and good background info is reconstructinghistory.com

This weeks article, Celtic Renaissance Clothing is about the Leine, which would be perfect for men or women and could be made in light weight fabric for use during hot weather, or wool for cold. The sight above has a great selection of patterns for sale to make lots of different period clothing, including a leine.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.